Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Alternative breeding variants  (Read 5039 times)

MachoNacho

• Bay Watcher
  • pug
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative breeding variants
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2019, 03:56:49 pm »

Or palanrasit can have [LITTER_FROM_SIZE], when litter of babies will be larger in larger creatures.
This guy just necro'd his own post.
pug

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2019, 05:03:27 am »

Or palanrasit can have [LITTER_FROM_SIZE], when litter of babies will be larger in larger creatures.

I think necroing a suggestion post like this is okay, as long as you add something new to it. After all, necroing suggestion posts is generally preferred over starting nearly identical new ones. It would be another case if it had been a simple "bump".

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2019, 03:00:21 am »

I think necroing a suggestion post like this is okay, as long as you add something new to it. After all, necroing suggestion posts is generally preferred over starting nearly identical new ones. It would be another case if it had been a simple "bump".
Thread isn't dead, if author is live. So all posts in my threads isn't necroing.

Etc_Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2020, 09:26:24 am »

I was planning on making this same idea thread before seeing this one.

I'm currently making some new gastropod creatures and quite a few are hermaphrodites. I want to make them realistic but can't without a [HERMAPHRODITE] tag. This also applies to normal snails and slugs in the base game, who don't have any gender. Toady probably planned them to be hermaphroditic like a lot of real snail and slug species are. He never got around to implementing [HERMAPHRODITE] hence why snails and slugs are unable to reproduce to this day.

[HERMAPHRODITE] should be the easiest to implement as the creature can impregnate and be impregnated since they have both male and female reproductive organs. The biggest hurdle may be interface as hermaphrodite doesn't use mars or venus symbol. If there is no equivalent symbol in Dwarf Fortress's code, new players may not realize they have a hermaphroditic species they can breed or why this animal is breeding without males and females. Well these are more niche animal captures in the game anyway so it may not be a big deal.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2020, 02:07:56 pm »

The biggest hurdle may be interface as hermaphrodite doesn't use mars or venus symbol. If there is no equivalent symbol in Dwarf Fortress's code, new players may not realize they have a hermaphroditic species they can breed or why this animal is breeding without males and females. Well these are more niche animal captures in the game anyway so it may not be a big deal.

Is the fused male-female symbols present there?
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2020, 01:00:08 am »

Is the fused male-female symbols present there?

There's no ASCII symbol for it. You'd have to use them next to each other: ♀♂

Or expand the tile sheet and add some custom characters, I guess. Someone would have to update all the existing user-created tilesets, though.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 01:08:50 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2020, 07:00:18 pm »

I don’t think the lack of hermaphrodites is caused by a fear players would not understand them. I’ve never encountered anyone surprised at Minecraft cows reproducing, neither that the seemingly genderless Pokémon Ditto can breed. When it comes to game mechanics there is some suspension of disbelief, and I do think those ignorant of IRL hermaphroditism can come to terms with it as a game mechanic. We must also remember we’re dealing with Dwarf Fortress, far from everything is transparent.

=>Hermaphrodites not already being in the game is frankly a mystery.

Well, ♀♂ for hermaphrodites is still a sound idea, it indicates whether something more exotic (to the player, maybe not the dwarves) may breed. +1
Pages: 1 [2]