Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MARXDWARF, a Karl Marx tileset 16x  (Read 8427 times)

Virtones

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
MARXDWARF, a Karl Marx tileset 16x
« on: April 11, 2020, 02:33:45 pm »

If you ever wanted a tower full of scholars that didn't have what it takes to build the knowledge of the world, FEAR NO MORE!
These Karl Marx inspired dwarves, will get the job done!!

I've put a README file to instruct vanilla users and LazyNewbPack users for installing these.

This is my adaptation of various tilesets along with some of my own art on some tiles, including the dwarves. I've based the helmet on the Imperialist helmets and it was quite nice the results.
I took a lot of references of Toen(youtuber), Kruggsmash(youtuber), rc15 Font(forums), Bitlands(forums), Bearwasdead (forums), and a few others.

In the files there are 12 tilesets, they all feature 2 types of walls, and 3 types of floors, and 2 types of MarxDwarves (one has a pixel less on his hair, because the original one reaches the border of the 16x16 square).

Forgot to put the colors I'm using, the Lee_V2.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15009
https://imgur.com/a/zUq1kzx?third_party=1#_=_
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 10:04:34 am by Virtones »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: MARXDWARF, a Karl Marx tileset 16x
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 02:57:14 am »

I like the tiny torches in the walls. :)

Maybe you could post some screenshots.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 05:23:35 am »

That's a clever title.

I made a couple of TWBT text tilesheets for use with this. A 14x16 tilesheet based on the Marxdwarf font and a 12x16 text tilesheet based on risusinf's rc15 tilesheet that the Marxdwarf text is based on.

Screenshots:

Tilesheets:
Spoiler: 14x16 text tilesheet (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 12x16 text tilesheet (click to show/hide)

Download Marxdwarf in LNP format: https://www.mediafire.com/file/60ett0z4jza23tr/Marxdwarf.zip/file

Here's pre-configured Marxdwarf in the LNP format for Dwarf Fortress v0.47. Drop it into your Lazy Newb Pack's /LNP/Graphics/ folder, and then install it with the Lazy Newb Pack launcher. It has the text FONT tilesheet set to the 14x16 version by default, and the GRAPHICS_FONT tilesheet set to "marxdwarf_brick3" by default, but these can both be configured by clicking on the "Custom" sub tab of the "Graphics" tab in the Lazy Newb Pack launcher.

Btw, the embedded image in the OP is broken. It needs a direct link to the image. Change the link to this to fix it: https://i.imgur.com/6JiSUmW.png

I like the tiny torches in the walls. :)
The torched walls are from the latest version of Kruggsmash's tileset. The other walls are from the previous version of Kruggsmash.

Other than the Karl Marx dwarf, the thing I noticed that he drew himself was redrawing the RC_15x15 alpha-numberic tiles at 16x16 in a bolder font. You can see the difference between his text and the original RC in the two tilesheets I posted above. (His text is shown in the 14x16 tilesheet; the original RC text is shown in the 12x16 tilesheet.) In a square tileset, the thicker font is probably more pleasant to read since it removes some of the empty space between the characters.

It looks like the terrain tiles are mostly Kruggsmash, the text is based on RC, the creature graphics are CLA, and the item tiles are mostly a mix of Bitlands and Bearwasdead.

Virtones

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 09:50:50 am »

OMG, the greatest guys just showed up! Thank you for the quick up on adaptating to LazyNewbPack, its an honour. Yeah, as this was my first attempt on doing a simple tileset, and I'm using a notebook without a mouse, I went with basically copying some of the works of others and compiling into something I liked. I did some shading inspired by Toen's tileset(which has based his on Kruggsmashes), he seems to be a great pixel artist. I did the dwarves, redone the rc15 font as mentioned and also done some little changes on the Demons sprite, Angels, Night creatures (I cropped some of its clothes to look more ghostly), Bed, Traction Bench, Weapon Rack (I put the weapons I use most, Axe, Hammer, Spear). The chest I took from bitlands and did some shading too, and created my custom floor tile (the one that forms a circle in between). I also did the Totem sprite. When I get to my other PC, I would like to try to design something entirely from scratch. I would also like to learn how to do override like the Bitlands and CLA did, if you guys could show me the way on learning about it. (I know this isn't the place to do it, but would appreciate if we could talk about it somehow).

The walls are from the latest tileset Krugg is using, which seems to be based on his own tileset too. So no credits for that, they do look awesome in a simple way. My compliments to the artist who created it. The only thing I know from it is the link on Kruggs' channel.

Great fan of your work Meph!

OMG Jecowa, you made that great Font even better for readibility! That is pretty awesome. I'm kind new to all of this (making post and stuff too), and don't know exactly how to put a direct image. I tried finding a post that explained that, I'm sure there was one, but didn't find it. 

Anyway, I thank you guys for the replies and Jecowa's addition. I'll modify the direct link as suggested :)

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 07:44:44 pm »

The perfect tileset doesn't exis-
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.