Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Vijiriwek: Drive them out, cleanse this infection.  (Read 10664 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
Vijiriwek: Drive them out, cleanse this infection.
« on: May 26, 2020, 08:08:27 am »

This is an RTD focused on ""tactical"" gun combat, mostly in close quarters, and featuring "hardly any" elements of eldritch horror. No refunds.

You had fallen on hard times. Very. Hard times. Your past was rapidly catching up to you, as was your debt. You needed something, anything.
But you found no luck. Even with your very specific set of skills, nobody needed you, and nobody would help you. Except for one. A tall man, by the name of Nyarlathotep.
You might have been skeptical of a lone stranger, offering salvation. But he proved... Captivating. This man could work wonders. Do things that defy belief. Things that... shouldn't be. But, you are desperate. Maybe an ally which defies reality is just what you need.

So Nyarlathotep gave you funds, and Nyarlathotep gave you comrades, and Nyarlathotep gave you a target. An old, musty manor in the middle of nowhere, where no witnesses will see, no authority will hear, and no reinforcements will arrive. All you need is the skulls of those who dwell there, and a small idol prized by your client.
When you return, all your problems will be gone, and you will be truly free.

Spoiler: character (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: system (click to show/hide)

Additional items may be available, upon request. If you want to get creative, I'm happy to help you out!

Spoiler: Guns (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Melee Weapons: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Explosives (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Et Cetera (click to show/hide)

Will be taking 5 players. Big thanks to syvarris for providing the Great Arsenal Of Syv, for helping with the system in ways that are wrong but which get me to think, and for providing general encouragement.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 01:43:10 am by Egan_BW »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Vijiriwek: Nyarlathotep Needs YOU!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 08:36:24 am »

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 11:03:29 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 11:15:54 am »

Spoiler: Snippy (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: AnyDice (click to show/hide)

((Edit: if we don't get a medic I might roll a medic instead.))
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 02:26:28 pm by Parisbre56 »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 12:46:23 pm »

Interested.

EDIT: here once was a bunch of unecessary questions. Removed them as I progressively came to the conclusion that their answers didn't actually change any of my decisions.

Spoiler: Erin (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 09:36:34 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 05:18:40 pm »

He returns! From This previous game!
I would like to invest in some otherworldly powers, as they are a part of this character's origin.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 12:04:52 am by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 08:28:51 pm »

What size die are we modifying with our stats and skills?

3d6.

Do not see a Carbine on the weapon list.
Do not see a heavy-caliber AR on the weapon list, (the AR on the weapon list is specifically mentioned as lower-caliber)
Do not see a DMR (Assault / Sniper rifle hybrid, basically an assault rifle with attachments for long-range shooting) on the weapon list.

I'm... not entirely clear on what the differences between all those weapon types are, sorry. syv did all the work actually statting these guns up.

Do not see anti-heavy-vehicle weaponry on the weapon list (though WHY you would want/need that in close quarters is beyond me)

Eh, sure, you'll never need it~

[3 Mony]
V.84 Single-Shot Anti-Tank Weapon
   CQC / Med: 13 / 10
   Move Penalty: 5
   Damage: 20 (Ignores 10 armor)
   Capacity: 1 (Cannot reload)
   Size: Heavy

Do not see a flamethrower on the weapon list.

[4 Mony]
V.15 Flamethrower
   CQC / Med: 9 / 10
   Move Penalty: 1
   Damage: 8
   Auto Stability: 6
   Auto Damage: 18
   Auto Shots: 3
   Capacity: 20 (Cannot reload)

A handheld nozzle which spews flaming liquid, capable of starting wanton fires, killing humans horribly, and fending off wasps with the minimum required level of force. Fuel is stored in a tank on the back, which would be unfortunate to damage.

Do not see incendiary grenades on the weapon list. (though those are not really good as weapons, they're mostly for destroying equipment)

[1 Mony]
Incendiary Grenade
   CQC / Med: 11 / 15
   Damage: 2 (Generates heat and starts fires)
   Size: None

Yeah, they're not super useful. HE will probably generate more property damage for the cost.

Bonus:

[1 Mony]
Teargas Canister
   CQC / Med: 11 / 15
   Damage: (Creates a cloud of irritating gas. Characters caught in the cloud without a gasmask take 4 Resolve damage per turn.)

Do not see the option for (I forgot the proper name for this, it's small strings or cables of plastic explosive, one individual can carry several, they don't make holes in walls, but you wrap them around things like door mechanisms to "unlock" them superfast and they have barely any danger zone)

[1 Mony]
Prayer Beads
   (Small explosive device which can disable small locks and the like.)

Do not see any options for weapon attachments of any kind beyond suppressor (why would you take that?). EG taclight, reflex sight, laser sight, bipod, magnifying scope.

I think this system is complicated enough already, no thank you. <3
The point of the suppressor is that enemies who are "offscreen" are able to hear gunshots and loud sounds and prepare.

Do not see any options for utility items of any kind. EG crowbar, zipcuffs, NVGs, rope, duct tape, goggles (we should all have these), fancy ear protection instead of the basic earplugs i'm assuming everyone gets at the very least since they're planning on using firearms, especially in close quarters.

Crowbar and Rope are 1 Mony, NVGs 2 Mony (Though I don't have a specific mechanical use for them in mind, the might be useful. I hadn't really been thinking about light sources...)
I'd give you zipcuffs, duct tape, goggles, and any ear protection you want for free. While I'm sure it would be fascinating to systematize hearing damage and different tiers of protection, I'd rather not.

Do not see any medical equipment.

Me forget lol

[2 Mony]
Medic Kit
   (Basic tools for a field medic.)

[4 Mony]
Advanced Medical Kit
   (Slightly larger than normal case, containing high-quality supplies as well as a computerized diagnosis system and small, very precise mechanical arms. Allows operations to be performed very quickly and accurately. Requires a trained operator.)

before choosing loadout, i'm fairly certain almost any character I design would have requested a google maps image of the target area at the very least, and some basic idea of what our insertion method will be. we driving up in a pickup truck? paradropping in? burrowing in underground for god-knows-why? walking through the woods in the middle of the night? it just kinda makes sense to take the time before buying gear to know what gear is likely to be used, even if there's only minimal information available. (just asking for a basic description, no need for an actual picture. It just makes sense to have asked for all the info that can be gotten.

The target is a large house, out far away from anything else. It has two wings, each with about four rooms, as well as an upstairs with a balcony. It seems in ill-repair, and was probably the summer home of some nobles in earlier days.
The building is in a valley, surrounded by hilly coniferous forest. A long unpaved road connects it to the nearest highway.

You'll be driving to where the highway meets the dirt road at night. From there it's up to you what to do.

He returns! From This previous game!
I would like to invest in some otherworldly powers, as they are a part of this character's origin.

Such things are both dangerous and hard to use as an individual. But okay. :3

Skills:

Elsic Knowledge: For those who want to learn about Elsic topics without delving into their use.
Else Summoning: Using equipment which forms a "breach", through which energy from the Else can flow into the material world. Along with less savory things.
Else Manipulation: Manipulating Elsic energy to a desired goal. The most flexible way is to shunt the energy directly through your own neurons, but using equipment is safer and more reliable.
Else Containment: Closing open breaches and sealing Elsic power. Equipment is required.

Each level past +0 in an Else skill reduces maximum Lucidity by 1. Additionally, having more than +0 skill in multiple Else skills reduces max Lucidity by 2 and halves your max Resolve.

Items:

[2 Mony]
Elsebreachor
   (A knife with a black blade and a jumble of wires and circuitry around the handle. Used correctly, it can cut open a Breach. Also functions as a lackluster melee weapon.)
   Melee: 9
   Point Stab Penalty: 1
   Damage: 2
   [Does 4 damage if attacking an unaware enemy.]
   Parry: 1
   Flurry Max: 5
   Flurry Cost: 2

[2 Mony]
Elsemanip
   (An odd box of electronics and machinery. Can be used to draw in Elsic energy and manifest a specific physical effect.)
   (When buying, select one of the following types: Temperature, Momentum, Shape, Electromagnetism, Gravity, Biology. This machine can only affect the selected type.)
   Size: Sidearm

[2 Mony]
Elsecloser
   (A handheld tablet with a basic screen and several dials and switches. Can be used to draw on a Breach's own energy to negate and close it, or to disrupt elsic creatures.

[3 Mony]
Else Ink
   (A canister containing an inky black substance, with a nozzle to dispense it. Could accomplish a great many things... provided with time to prepare and the proper level of knowledge.)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 08:44:43 pm »

I see that my edit was too late. oh well.

Also, I am saddened by the price of the basic medkit. I'll need to realocate my mony I suppose.

A carbine is a rifle with a shortened barrel. their earliest uses were for cavalry, but they are now the prevalant choice of weapon for modern infantry. The shorter barrel allows them to be both lighter and more manuverable, making them better in close quarters, and equally good at middling ranges, but they do sacrifice some long-range accuracy. The easiest example to come to mind is the difference between the M16 rifle and the M4 carbine, with the M4 being literally the same weapon just with a shorter barrel, and it is the weapon of choice for non-sharpshooters.

the difference between a two assault rifles of different calibers is simply the heavier caliber rifle shoots heavier (bigger) bullets. they have more inertia (and so can use their weight to rip through bullet-resistant vests), and are more accurate at longer ranges because they're less affected by wind and atmospheric conditions, but are physically heavier and harder to use in CQB, as well as often having longer barrels. also, bigger bullets are more expensive than smaller ones.

To make an M16 into a DMR:
put a nice scope on it
give it a bipod
task complete.

seriously, it's just a long-range-focused configuration of an assault rifle. in the hands of someone good enough at sharpshooting ANY assault rifle can be a DMR.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 08:57:16 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 09:02:56 pm »

Hmm, maybe that pricing for the medkit isn't appropriate, considering that you also have to invest in a skill to use it effectively. Do you think that 1 Mony would be more fair?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 09:09:02 pm »

The problem is that a medkit is a team item, and going from 1 moni to 2 hits a critical breakpoint in equipping a character.

6 moni total

3 moni for a mid-grade weapon
2 moni for defensive items

leaves exactly 1 moni for a medkit.

so if you want to have a basic medkit, as the person carrying it you are going to have to either sacrifice firepower or protection. so either you're sorta-helpless cuz you can't hurt things, or you are going to be a contender for the one that needs the medkit used on them. (and self-care is vastly overrated. you tend be distracted by the leaking hole in your body while in the process of treating said hole. also, it's really hard to get both hands where they need to be because joints.)

I think the pricing is fair, and in fact for how powerful such items usually are in games it's actually UNDERpriced, but that by the nature of the thing it works best as a team item or if the first one on the team is subsidized so the person carrying the thing isn't a helpless sitting duck.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 09:10:46 pm by Lenglon »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 09:21:32 pm »

Ah. Well, you guys can feel free to share money between each other. Part of the challenge here is actually coordinating your strategy, after all.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 09:27:13 pm »

Fair enough:

Other Players: I'm setting aside 1 moni for a medkit. I'm willing to have Erin carry it and I'm givnig her a +2 in medical. If you want to run a dedicated medic then my 1 moni will help subsidize the cost of your medkit instead of having Erin carry it, and if you want to spend more to go for the advanced kit that's on you, i'll be giving my 1 moni to the medkit fund either way. However, I would greatly appreciate it if someone would dedicate 1 moni of their own so we can have a basic medkit on the team.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 09:48:26 pm by Lenglon »

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 10:03:23 pm »

Fair enough:

Other Players: I'm setting aside 1 moni for a medkit. I'm willing to have Erin carry it and I'm givnig her a +2 in medical. If you want to run a dedicated medic then my 1 moni will help subsidize the cost of your medkit instead of having Erin carry it, and if you want to spend more to go for the advanced kit that's on you, i'll be giving my 1 moni to the medkit fund either way. However, I would greatly appreciate it if someone would dedicate 1 moni of their own so we can have a basic medkit on the team.

Sure, I'll buy in for 3 moni. You take care of my char, and he'll take care of you.

Spoiler: Reece (click to show/hide)

[[Didn't see there was a full spread of people. Oops. Well, waitlist me.]]
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 10:18:43 pm by The Adversary »
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 10:46:38 pm »

Heh. PTW

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2020, 11:08:11 pm »

Maybe if you wrote the healing mechanics it would be easier to determine a fair price for a medkit. If it's just a flat bonus in a system where healing is infinite regeneration based on a flat difficulty then it should be really expensive. If it's a limited use item or if someone can only be healed a limited number of times per room/level it should be less expensive.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6