Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [47.04] Yet Another Setting Overhaul Mod  (Read 3594 times)

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
[47.04] Yet Another Setting Overhaul Mod
« on: May 27, 2020, 02:23:35 am »

Yet another mod that overhauls the setting while trying to stay somewhat lore-friendly.

Currently included stuff:

• Several new pieces of sea life, from tiny vermin, to new types of whale
  • Magma Sea Life; Magma fishes and krakens.
  • Several new insects and spiders
  • A couple new bird types (Lesser rocs and Macaws)
  • Two new goblin variants! Hobgoblins (smaller, more lawful goblins willing to trade with you, but still prone to war), and bugbears (larger, more brutal goblins that do everything they can to make people suffer, including other goblins)
  • Cursed ratfolk with repurposed farm tools
  • Cursed dwarves with brutal weapons
  • NEW! Cursed Elves; playable cave dwelling elves; They may be smaller than dwarves, but they have many of the elven upsides, most notably, access to every pet race (For now). NOTE: May be bugged. When I tested, they refused to do labors.
  • Primative neanderthals
  • New metals! Osmium (a metal thats like a denser platinum, which can be used to make durable armor), Sky Iron (a rare, valuable metal processed from meteors found deep within sandstone deposits), and Tungsten (a metal comparable to silver, but with slightly better edge-holding properties)
  • Much, much more!

DOWNLOAD HERE: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15096

More to come!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 11:46:04 pm by Kyubee »
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
Re: Yet Another Setting Overhaul Mod
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 02:27:29 am »

LORE POST + WORLD RECOMMENDATIONS + Other Notes

In the time long before before time, things weren't all too different from a normal dwarf fortress world (without this mod). But things change. Races grow and evolve. Gods grow bored of their favored races and curse them to fates worse than death. This mod takes place long after a major upheaval in the powers of the world, in an event we'll just call "The thousand year curse."

The thousand year curse wasn't just one curse, but rather, several old-world gods doing their best to curse all of the material plane, and all the races to dwell there. Nobody remembers why they did this, nor do they care. Some say it was dwarven hubris; others, elven vanity. Regardless of what provoked the gods, the world suffered. Plagues, monsters, forbidden secrets unleashed; the whole nine yards. Few gods opposed the mass cursing. Those associated with caverns chief among them, creating a sanctuary for dwarves, and accepting the cursed elves with open arms after they got exiled from the forests.

The races of the world are many; among them are the following:
Dwarves: Much of dwarfkind was saved from the Thousand Year Curse due to their sprawling subterranian fortresses. The cavern dieties were just too powerful, protecting their favored peoples.

Elves: The fervent worshippers of nature, theyve surprisingly bounced back from the curses, to around the same level they were in the before times.

Humans: Humans didn't exist in the before times, only rising in the power vaccuum from the other powers not developing on the surface.

Goblins, Hobgoblins, and Bugbears: The goblinoid trio, they had a similar upbringing to humans, only they came as the hordes of minions for the demons of the depths, unleashed by angry old-gods. Goblins are normal, as in the vanilla game. Hobgoblins, meanwhile, are the lawful counterpart; theyre beyond willing to simply trade with other non-snatching civilization, and detest their more chaotic counterparts. Bugbears... Theyre big, mean. They attack everything. It doesnt matter if youre a dwarf, an elf, even a goblin. Everyone is their target.

Cursed Dwarves: Dwarves who couldnt escape the Old-Gods' curse in time, the dwarves were twisted, corrupted. Forced to be evil, theyve become depressed due to their forced evil ways.

Cursed Elves: Elves affected by the Old-Gods' curse, they were removed from their forest home, and exiled to the depths of the caverns. While stuck down there, they grew an appreciation for the dwarven lifestyle, a hatred of the nature they once worshipped, and in its place grew love for the nature of the caverns, and an insatiable desire for revenge on the Old-Gods.

Ratfolk: One of the most powerful races of the beforetimes, ratfolk had technology beyond belief; imagine steampunk technology. When they got cursed, the Ratfolk lost it all. Their tech broke, their minds lost the memory, and great plagues follow wherever they go. This has left them a barbaric race, trying desperately to grow crops, while stealing food from those who grow better.

Mousefolk: A close relative of the ratfolk, mousefolk only really came to be their own thing after the Thousand Year Curse. Freed from the oppressive ratfolk, the diminutive mousefolk have began fervently worshipping dieties of light. Theyre kind of a mix of the various variants of christianity, in name only

Neanderthals: The precursors to humanity, Neanderthals are on the verge of extinction, not due to the Old-Gods' wrath, but simply due to humanity outperforming them in almost every way.

More to come once I've written it.

For worlds with this mod, I'd recommend you allow the world to be mostly evil, good, and/or savage; this allows the most use of the unique creatures of the world. Once I've added them, it will also be recommended to play on a high, yet survivable, megabeast and semimegabeast count.

NOTE: I will try to annotate any inspirations for my creatures in the mod itself; so if youre curious if something I add is an original creation or based off another piece of fiction, feel free to browse the raws. Or, if youre too lazy for that, ask me directly. This mod will also be taking plants and creatures from my past mods; so there will be redundancy between this mod and my past creations, at least in function. For your own good, consider this mod incompatible with my older works. They weren't the best anyways.

NOTE: If you play Cursed Elves, I'd recommend you install Dwarf Therapist for their trolls and gremlines; otherwise I'm pretty sure you can't give them orders.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 01:02:24 am by Kyubee »

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
Re: [47.04] Yet Another Setting Overhaul Mod
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 12:54:10 am »

emergency update; slightly increased cursed elf size so they can use battle axes and picks