Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What industries and activities are the most overlooked?  (Read 9406 times)

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What industries and activities are the most overlooked?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2020, 12:02:54 pm »

@HungThir: The Manager does round robin for as long as you have the material, but once you're out of material the job allocation will start at the top, so you produce one cloth, one pant order is generated, and there's nothing for the others. Once you've produced a second piece of cloth the allocation starts at the top, i.e. pants.
I make orders for each piece that wait until I have enough cloth to start all orders. Then the clothiers will work on "sets" instead of individual items.

I do the same for multi-use inputs, e.g. logs to charcoal, ash, buckets. Even though I don't require those items in equal proportion, they only start if there is enough to cover everything at once so nothing is ever left behind.

Workshops: Exactly. The moronic manager will split the stone crafting jobs over all of the stone crafting, wood crafting, and bone crafting craftdwarf shops, resulting in all crafting grinding to a halt once a crafter gets a mood, gets to sleep, or goes on a socialization/prayer bender, because his type of job sits at the top of the list in all the workshops.
If you want workshops to specialize, the workshop profile allows you to set which labors are allowed for the general-purpose manager. (And doesn't stop you from assigning whatever you like with workshop-specific orders.)

I don't know any simple way to address your other critiques about size, quality, material desired, etc.

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2020, 09:45:24 pm »

Missions. People seem scared of the bugs, but I've done hundreds of them without any problem. It's a great way to steal livestock and artifacts.

I do these all the time! Its easier than relying on your dwarves to write books, and the elves to on a whim decide to bring the animals you want instead of a single dingo and a half-starved panda.
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2020, 11:18:28 pm »

that it for plant extraction?
Would you recomend No Mix, for foods? Prior to?
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2020, 03:02:21 am »

After having lost every fortress I've used raiding in to the raid corruption bug (although I managed to pull off quite a few in the longest lasting one before corruption hit), I won't use raiding until it's fixed (and my last fortress was lost to "raid" equipment corruption even before starting to send out a raid. My guess is that it was caused by accepting performance troupe petitions (and getting bugged "friendly" units "returning" and hanging out by the embark edges until killed by invaders or insanity).

As far as I know Gnomeblight is the only use for plant extraction, yes. It has a fairly high value but that's of little use when there's no working economy, and while I can see some marginal amusement from using Gnomeblight on gnomes once just because you can, I fail to see any ongoing attraction.

I always set my food setting to No Mix as soon as I remember to do so (and gather corpses from outside and no web collection while at it). It probably has little effect when not using barrels for food storage, but might cut down on seed access cancellation due to storage in the same bag.

Stargazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2020, 08:31:21 am »

Trapping is something I literally don't think I've ever used. Bookbinding/making is also something that I've only just done in my recent fort because I had nothing else to do and decided to try it out. Boy is it annoying to set up the chain to produce books. Pretty sure I won't bother with it again after this fort.

If you've got good access to magma then glassmaking is something that I think people underestimate. All you need to do is collect the sand and bam, you never have to worry about jugs/crafts/pots/furniture again. Unfortunately green glass isn't all that valuable.

Beekeeping is also another one I rarely bother with. Maybe towards the end of a fort when I'm just setting up all the industries because I have nothing better to do. I've used dyeing/clothesmaking a ton though. I like the little aesthetic of giving all the members of my military red shirts.

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2020, 09:06:14 am »

Trapping is something I literally don't think I've ever used. Bookbinding/making is also something that I've only just done in my recent fort because I had nothing else to do and decided to try it out. Boy is it annoying to set up the chain to produce books. Pretty sure I won't bother with it again after this fort.

Bookbinding is *kinda* annoying, but I think its worth it when dwarves write 1 page manuals that somehow go into unrelated tangents.

If you've got good access to magma then glassmaking is something that I think people underestimate. All you need to do is collect the sand and bam, you never have to worry about jugs/crafts/pots/furniture again. Unfortunately green glass isn't all that valuable.

I'd argue, save for the hassle of relocating clay (Maybe have the clay be in a stockpile connected by minecart to your magma smelter area?), pottery is a lot more effective than glassmaking, since glassmaking needs bags, which tbh is really annoying.

Beekeeping is also another one I rarely bother with. Maybe towards the end of a fort when I'm just setting up all the industries because I have nothing better to do. I've used dyeing/clothesmaking a ton though. I like the little aesthetic of giving all the members of my military red shirts.

I've wanted to try beekeeping, but plain honey and mead is just so boring, so I've been toying with the idea of modded bees.
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2020, 11:36:53 am »

I've always felt I was in a Fred Sabrehagen book, when I did a fortress with a bunch of beekeeping. The worshippers of Apollo loved their bee swarms. And archery. Is hive cap still 44? Ive always been a propponent of a tame vermin tab, instead of clumping them into animal list. Would remove some unnecessary scrolling, in cage mangmt.

Bees have a 2nd feature if beehives are pentup in pet cat activity zones, and honey never removed from their hive. They provide training for cats and food for crazy dorfs.  I always wondered if bees improved topside farming, like in reality.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2020, 01:09:10 pm »

After having lost every fortress I've used raiding in to the raid corruption bug (although I managed to pull off quite a few in the longest lasting one before corruption hit), I won't use raiding until it's fixed (and my last fortress was lost to "raid" equipment corruption even before starting to send out a raid. My guess is that it was caused by accepting performance troupe petitions (and getting bugged "friendly" units "returning" and hanging out by the embark edges until killed by invaders or insanity).
What types of missions were you running? What was your procedure? I made up some rules for missions that are probably mostly unnecessary, but so far they've kept me from corruption. I still occasionally hit the bug where a dwarf doesn't come back, though.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2020, 02:22:40 pm »

What types of missions were you running? What was your procedure? I made up some rules for missions that are probably mostly unnecessary, but so far they've kept me from corruption. I still occasionally hit the bug where a dwarf doesn't come back, though.
Since the root cause of the corruption is unknown, any countermeasures are completely speculative. Given that my last fortress got corrupted without any kind of external mission at all (unless you consider exiling or or two dorfs "missions"), my current guess it that the only safe missions are once where the ones sent out are completely naked, own nothing, and bring nothing back.
The missions I made in the fortresses that were corrupted prior to 0.47.04 were mostly raids for artifacts, raids to whittle down the populations, a number of conquests, and some livestock (beak dogs) raids. My expendable squads were made up of non dwarven performers and an occasional sage who'd petitioned and I'd then trained up for about two years and equipped with decent equipment. After a conquest I generally was able to call back about one squad member (the range was something like 0 - 3), with the rest being lost in to the site (not killed, just not available for recall).
I've never had anyone failing to come back for reasons other than death or conquest (not counting trying to raid with dead civs: raiding is completely broken in that case and nobody ever properly leave the embark world tile in that case).

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2020, 03:15:21 pm »

I have tried many times to make rock nut soap, but have yet to succeed. The shear bugginess of non-tallow soap suggests that it is overlooked and underappreciated by the creator of Dwarf Fortress.

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2020, 09:40:25 pm »

I've never used clay industries. It's like glass but worse.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2020, 02:36:55 am »

Glass and clay are good in a few exceptional circumstances: when you have magma but little to no wood, when a heavy aquifer blocks access to stone, or when you need a magma-safe screwpump.

And Archcrystal, of course.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2020, 02:57:33 am »

Glass: Menacing spikes and terraria, the latter especially when out of cages for the traps with a siege blocking the access to wood. Also, as Quarque mentioned, magma safe screw pumps.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2020, 08:19:24 am »

For me mills. I often start with a quern. That job takes a more time as using a mill. I often wait too long before switching to the more complicated setup.

Encrusting ammo... I really cannot see the point. Anyone?

KevinM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2020, 10:42:39 am »

@Urist9876 I just do it to train my gem setters.    Cutting clay and then encrusting clay to ammo since there's a lot of it.  For some reason I feel like clothes are wearing out much more quickly in this version so I could encrust clothes too.  I don't encrust furniture until I have fully trained gem cutters and embedders.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4