Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What industries and activities are the most overlooked?  (Read 9323 times)

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What industries and activities are the most overlooked?
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2020, 11:41:16 am »

Encrusting is a very overlooked path for me, I never do it unless I want a particular roleplay object. I prefer the simplicity of getting value from base materials and craftsdwarfship; I'm always afraid of "ruining" perfectly nice furniture with anything less than masterwork decoration.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2020, 08:02:24 pm »

Dont fear ruining it, they keep on upgrading, prioritizing the lowest core quality items. Forbid/Unforbid to direct this to the desired piece of trash. If your lowest quality item is also your highest, they just keep hanging gems on it. Ive got some truly amazing goblets, that started out so-so.

This player, however, saying that, never decorates ammo.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2020, 08:11:11 pm »

...Stonecrafting, I guess - beyond the rock pots and mugs, they can also make variety of furniture, which can be useful for decoration when due strange mood highest furniture producer in your fort is one. They can use metal ores without fuel with economic menu, so those can be somewhat valuable, or unique color. Bookcases were moved off into mason menu in .47 but others are still viable. Also, with 47 allowing any rock short swords, making them out of native <x> is viable to get impromptu <x> sword; with likely higher quality than weaponsmith has.

Tanning: Parchment is also somewhat overlooked for value generation, I guess; an ⛭elephant parchment quire⛭ is worth 12k, to give high-end value. Plus there's the metal factor of using the skins of your enemies for writing.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2020, 08:01:59 am »

Plus there's the metal factor of using the skins of your furry friends for writing.
fixed

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2020, 06:39:41 pm »

Pottery is the most unused. Not overlooked, but ignored with a good reason. Clear glass furniture and tools are more valuable and faster to make. You can glaze anything really. It works like encrusting. Metal industry can provide even more valuable products.

Automation is the most overlooked, as people think about mine-carts and quantum stockpiles, as an exploit, then a manager's options extension. I automate everything from very start of embark. The only things I do manually still, is:
- cooking, because it is so cumbersome for food variety
- any activity with pastured animals (milking, sheering, breeding for skins and meat), as animals husbandry can not be automated
- milling dies into bags (50-100 jobs at a time), as for some reason manager can not detect any dies in existence

Some industries go idle after a while. Soap maker is one going idle from the beginning of the game. 100 soap bars will last for ever.
Metal industry grinds to a halt after all master quality armor and weapons been made.
Jewelry is a side production on side of mining. Encrusting serves I feel no purpose to differ from glazing all pots, as that paints pots in one uniform color.

Only industries that go forever are (because Dwarves are consuming those):
- died clothes industry (wear)
- booze industry (drink)
- mead & royal jelly various flours roasts industry (drink & eat)
- one could set automated cooking of food too, if particularly bend on designing linked stockpiles. I just buy all ingredients from caravan for food variety sake.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 06:45:56 pm by Sarmatian123 »

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2020, 12:56:13 pm »

Manually setting traps, gets tiresome and frustrating, as a result of the Pause and LOS change. That LOS change, for one hampster stuck in a trap, is very bad game design. Losing meat, fish, large Gem, seems costly. I skip that.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

bool1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2020, 07:29:21 pm »

I generally use DF hack Fastdwarf 1 0 cause slow dwarves are so annoying.

It doesn't appear to do anything cheaty to combat other than letting dwarfs run away faster, so i'm not that conserned about cheating there.

Because Fastdwarf is always on, i never have any problems with hauling, so sand and clay crafts are never a problem for me.   ;)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2020, 07:30:50 pm »

Manually setting traps, gets tiresome and frustrating, as a result of the Pause and LOS change.

Change [ANIMAL_TRAP_CATCH:A_D:D_D:P:R] in announcements.txt to [ANIMAL_TRAP_CATCH:A_D:D_D].
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2020, 06:41:29 am »

It depends on the person. :P

Personally, I have always been afraid of nobles and never learned how to use a manager until yesterday. Wow.. it's a different game now.

The usefulness of minecarts is pretty often overlooked, perhaps because people are afraid of them. Not exactly as hauling machines (wheelbarrows are way more versatile and less effort for fast hauling)
Sad but true. Wheelbarrows are way better for the purpose of transportation. Still, my dreams is to have a fortress with a giant semi-realistic minecart transport system, it would be so dwarfy!

Not using them for other purposes, most of those are too exploity to my taste.

I'd honestly go straight to using the individual workshop manager pretty quick if I were you.

It's less ungainly than the general one.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2020, 05:02:48 pm »

I have tried many times to make rock nut soap, but have yet to succeed. The shear bugginess of non-tallow soap suggests that it is overlooked and underappreciated by the creator of Dwarf Fortress.

What's wrong with rock nut soap? I always make it, and found no bugs, as far as I'm aware. I prefer to produce both kind of soaps, so always have rock nut soap and cat soap, but I believe that rock nut soap is used the same way as animal soap (the only difference is it has 5x higher value than soap from common animals).

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2020, 08:48:23 pm »

Honey and wax. Like clay, these are a lot of work for very little result. And while there are fewer bugs than there used to be, it seems that there are still some bugs.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2020, 01:28:26 am »

I don't use wax, but I do want mead for my need craving dorfs. However, it results in an ever increasing usage of jugs, so it's always a race to produce more new jugs than there are hives to not constantly have all jugs filled up. Once a jug for each hive has been constructed you can get a chance to produce some honey that can be turned into mead.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2020, 03:35:47 am »

I also produce jugs more or less continuously (green glass variety), but most of them are used to store rock nut oil. I just checked my 11 years old fortress for numbers of jugs with content:
- 1x honey
- 7x royal jelly
- 155x rock nut oil

I used to make bars of soap, till it reached few hundreds bars, so now rock nut oil is accumulating. Royal jelly is used in cooking by my dwarves (or maybe some of them eat it raw?). Honey is used for mead, and they drink it almost immediately after producing, that's why there's no honey in storage at most times, unless it's currently in transport. If not for rock nut oil, I wouldn't have to make more jugs after certain threshold.

By the way, rock nut press cake is also made into food regularly, so there's no more than one or two units in store at any time.

Dushan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2020, 02:27:47 pm »

In all my forts, never once have I had a military.  To much work.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2020, 01:43:51 pm »

In all my forts, never once have I had a military.  To much work.
How do you do Justice?

All members of CotG's squad are deputy-tised(sherriffs)for taking crime reports and chaining up villains. I cannot imagine a fort without atleast that squad. The extra sheriffs, to help the CotGs in a fort of 140 dwarfs are essential. Stable one in mayors room, and civies only need to go there to report stuff, rather than run down one specific dwarf.

Ya, I dont have a squad for raiding. I have the buttnekkid uniform, just nobody extra(stressed out fodder)to wear it, to send out to make new caravan contacts. Maybe a dancer will join. I can make that dancer a captain and send out to scary foreign parts.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 01:46:24 pm by knutor »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4