Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why Can't All My Dwarves Be Goblins  (Read 2006 times)

Stadfradt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why Can't All My Dwarves Be Goblins
« on: January 09, 2021, 07:24:11 pm »

I'm just starting a fort with a hard population cap of 29. I got a guy who looked like scholar material, so I sent a one-dwarf squad to rescue what looked to be an artifact/book from an abandoned site. He freed some prisoners, all but one are goblins, and they all petitioned for sanctuary. (SHHHH! Nobody tell you know who about my resident aliens.)

So, now my fort has 24 members: 12 of whom are goblins seeking political asylum, and one peasant doing likewise. I can't assign labors to them...But...Mother of Pearl!...I cannot dream of complaining! Even the two drunk goblins hop to and stockpile and place furniture like marathoners chasing their runner's high! They're even helping to build constructions!

I have no idea what's happening with them, nor where this is going. But without distractions for my core crew of dwarves producing prepared meals to sell at outrageous profits to the rubes traders, this is going to be my smoothest operation yet.

Until it all goes to H-E-double hockey sticks. Which I'm sure it will.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Why Can't All My Dwarves Be Goblins
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 07:32:25 am »

I had no idea visitors could petition for sanctuary. It's possible that they'll petition for full citizenship later, letting you assign labors. I that entertainers will do so.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Stadfradt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 09:30:29 am »

I had no idea visitors could petition for sanctuary. It's possible that they'll petition for full citizenship later, letting you assign labors. I that entertainers will do so.
I was hoping for that. Their descriptions described them as really nice folk, ending with something about being evil by nature. LOL.

I don't think we're going to find out with this fort. A wereanteater showed up and wrecked-up the joint. Lotta wounded. I always forget two things: Trade depot & exterior walls. Oh, and wells. I've never got the hang of doing wells. The wounded always end up getting waterboarded with buckets of river water.

The goblins, for their part, are partying like they're going to all be dead next full moon. I don't know what they're seeking asylum from, but it must be pretty bad if that's the choice they're making. The expedition leader has been meditating on death.

Uhhh...yep. I kept changing appointments to chief medical dwarf, but sleeping and partying took priority over wound diagnosis. For a month. Bloodbath.

The leader and manager are now both praying to Shistsak The Spurting. A cat gave birth and a goblin went berserk. Teeth, ears, and bodies are everywhere. And a diplomat flounced off in a huff. Humans are here to trade, and my replacement broker may or may not be a wereanteater. I hope they have a lot of coffins to sell.

I guess I have to try to tough it out for the sake of knowledge. I hope the goblins come through for me. They seem like a jolly good group of scamps.

Stadfradt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 11:32:40 am »

Sadly, we'll never know.

I locked the wounded in the hospital. Our only dwarf child was playing in there, for some macabre reason. There were cats in there, too, and one of the goblins was giving water.

Suddenly the cats were leaving trails of blue exclamation points all over the room and I got my notice: the goblin drunk had turned into a wereanteater. One living goblin remained, and he had to be put down when he went berserk.

It'd make a good horror movie. How about it, Hollywood?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 02:56:03 am »

Hmm it makes sense that nobody came to rescue the goblins from their prisons long after their captors have perished. Ill have to scope out some more abandoned sites it seems for traces of survivors.

Yeah im sure i probably wouldnt have let all the freeloaders hang out at once, but second generation homogenized goblins providing i could get some of them to pair up is almost too good to pass up.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 04:17:21 pm »

ive been away for years.... what do you mean rescue an artefact from an abandoned site?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 04:41:44 pm »

ive been away for years.... what do you mean rescue an artefact from an abandoned site?

Missions can be sent to 'explore' a ruin site, yielding no experience like a active encounter but following the criteria of a raid to retrieve any objects/rescue people/take animal to the amount that the squad can presently carry in their hands.

Stadfradt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 09:20:57 pm »

It's a great way to get books without appointing a scholar and crossing your fingers.

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 08:43:23 am »

It's a great way to get books without appointing a scholar and crossing your fingers.

Tip: build lever in library.  Do not connect it to anything.  In the lever's workshop "P"rofile limit it so that only your assigned scholar dwarves will operate it.  Finally give it a "P"ull lever task on repeat at high priority.  For whatever reason, scholars who pull the lever will immediately thereafter ponder/discuss/write books at an extremely high rate (at least relative to normal).

This works to varying degrees, I think it ultimately still depends a bit on how likely your dorfs are to write - but it accelerates the process for sure.  In my current megaproject-related fort, the effect is noticeably lesser than in previous forts but I think that's because the world history has an unusual amount of illiteracy which has made my dorfs lacking in terms of writing skills.  In previous forts with more normal world/fort literacy I have gotten literally dozens of unique, original books written this way.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 10:40:27 am »

Hmm really?

Does this suggest that dwarven philosophical fields are somewhat activity motivated? So a animal trainer would be free to ponder & train the upkeep of their animals while writing about them afterwards.

That does put medicine at a disadvantage though.

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 08:42:37 am »

Hmm really?

Yup.  Just try it out and check the labors page every once in a while.  You'll find that your scholars are almost constantly pondering / discussing.

Stadfradt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 07:45:12 pm »

Hmm really?

Does this suggest that dwarven philosophical fields are somewhat activity motivated? So a animal trainer would be free to ponder & train the upkeep of their animals while writing about them afterwards.

They ponder all sorts of stuff, from the mechanical screw to common denominators to environmental fitness of animals.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2021, 06:49:35 pm »

Hmm really?

We have always assumed it was the Result of Our Dwarfs seeking the nearest Reason to refrain from pulling the Lever.  A Way of harnessing Work-avoidant Behaviour, as it were.