Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: my dwarves are refusing designations  (Read 1158 times)

Defensive kobra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
my dwarves are refusing designations
« on: May 29, 2020, 10:27:06 am »

i have designated an area to be mined, and yet my expedition leader and only miner who has previously done as i commanded and dug out the things i have asked him to, now he just refuses to do any mining and he is constantly listed in the unit list as having no job, despite being asked to mine and a lot of digging needing to be done. they have axes and picks available, they are not doing anything else, the anouncements does not say anything special, their icons do not flash with any symbol and i have set all the mining to the highest priority of 1, and yet again, they aint doing anything? i am still in like the really really really early parts of the game

TheyreAllGullyDorfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: my dwarves are refusing designations
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 10:52:06 am »

I bet you hid 'd' on a surface level and the default option came up 'Cut Trees' instead of 'Mine'.  So you just designated an underground area for lumber, but there are no trees so nothing got designated and your dorfs are blissfully ignorant of your desires.

Defensive kobra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 11:08:48 am »

I bet you hid 'd' on a surface level and the default option came up 'Cut Trees' instead of 'Mine'.  So you just designated an underground area for lumber, but there are no trees so nothing got designated and your dorfs are blissfully ignorant of your desires.
the problem with that theory is that if i select the cut trees option, only the trees will become blue / beige right? but the areas i have designated are blue, so obiously they are designated digging areas

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 11:12:30 am »

When you designate, is it in "Designate All" mode and "Standard" or "Marker Only", or some other mode?
After you press 'd' press 'a' and 'm' a few times to ensure it's in the expected/desired mode for designation. (Designate All / Standard is the default)

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 11:31:29 am »

If the designation is blue, that means it's "Marker Only" - you've planned a designation but haven't given the order to actually dig it. Use 'd' > 'M' and select the area to change Marker designation to Standard designation (the brown "actually-dig-this" mode).
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

TheyreAllGullyDorfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 11:49:14 am »

Excuse me, I thought you said the designated area wasn't showing anything.
Like Loam said if its blue instead of beige your dorfs think you're still indecisive about your designations and wont act on them. 

Defensive kobra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 12:59:19 pm »

If the designation is blue, that means it's "Marker Only" - you've planned a designation but haven't given the order to actually dig it. Use 'd' > 'M' and select the area to change Marker designation to Standard designation (the brown "actually-dig-this" mode).

oh, yeah i was indeed pressing m just to see what would happen and then forgot that i did, thank you to everyone who responded