Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: proficiency in specific forms of music?  (Read 1461 times)

Defensive kobra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
proficiency in specific forms of music?
« on: May 30, 2020, 01:25:43 pm »

when i start an new adventurer with an background as a dancer or an stringed instrumentalist or an poet or whatever, and i put high levels of skill into the relevant skill, will that translate over into my character having skills in one type of specific instrument, dance form, or poetry, or will my character who has supposedly been a poet his entire life be totally unfamiliar with the prose of ALL of the major forms of poetry out there, producing horrid works despite being having higher than 15 ranks in the skill and being beyond an legend in the skill of poetry? Will my expert stringed insturmentalist be totally unfamiliar with all of the stringed instruments that exist?

And if you do get specific types of instrument, how will i know what exact instrument my dwarf or whatever will be proficient in when buying my starting equipment, i would not want to buy a trumpet to find out that my character actiually plays the tuba or trombone, that would just be weird right?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: proficiency in specific forms of music?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 08:05:08 am »

Basically, the way it works is that the starting site holds a list of art forms it knows and a list of instruments it can procure. Your adventurer, if they're from a town, will always learn a number of artforms/songs and will not be able to get an instrument that isn't in the list of instruments the site can procure. Therefore, your character will always be able to play a song with the instrument they got.

I don't recall if the game gives you automatic profficiency, but all non-outsider adventurers get enough artform knowledge to make a bard character feasible. Outsider adventurers should go to the nearest tavern and hang around till someone does a performance. Once you've observed a performance, you've obtained the ability to reproduce it.

One last thing, this is not terribly relevant, but the more ticks it costs to do a given performance, the more experience you get for it. So, for example, a sonnet always gives more xp than a limerick, which gives more xp than a haiku.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: proficiency in specific forms of music?
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 03:36:25 am »

more tips:
you dont get experience when 'improvising'. So if you're doing a musical performance, and you dont have players for all the instruments needed, some have to simulate the instrument, but it doesn't give you experience. This seems reasonable. But! it also does not give you experience when you Do play an instrument, while others in the performance dont/are simulating.  Seems a bug to me.
So if you are planning on playing more complex musical pieces, consider taking some companions, having the needed instrument, so you can play all together and gaining experience.

Also, when starting, first do some research on the musical forms. you can do this using legends mode, or by making a test-adventurer. Look for what forms are available and which instruments you need, so you know what to pick as your startting equipment.

When traveling to other cilivisations, they have other instruments and so on. But one instrument is shared among all civilisations: singing and chanting :-). So if you want to use an universal usable instrument, pick your voice. I think its also easier to find musical forms, which only need a singer or chanter, so getting experience is easier.

You can collect other insturments in other civilisations, but you cant play them, unless you learn a musical formin which these instruments are used. I dont know if you can learn new musical forms.

Elves have natural better musical skill, so you might want to pick an elf as musician.

certain skills (I think the musical-named-one)  are only improved by composing and not by performing. stupid.