Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: df hard mode  (Read 1461 times)

slave of amok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
df hard mode
« on: May 16, 2020, 07:22:02 am »

i love dwarf fortress, however in the time ive played it ive been save scumming a LOT and started to feel i didnt earn the great fortresses ive build in these elven ways. so i came up with something: dwarf fortress hard mode. the idea is simple realy; you use advanced world generation to create a world as hostile as possible (max megabeasts, titans exc) and after a few tries i managed to create *the familial continent*, let me give you the run down of this world: its FUN, the minimum temperature is 30 so creatures spontaneously combust if they stay above ground in most places, what few woodlands there are are haunted and theres over 14 vulcanos that blacken the skies. elves, humans and almost all dwarves are extinct. there where 4 forts with over 10k goblins living in it. reduced to 4k in the recent undead/goblin war, which brings us to the necromancers; there are 2 necromancer towers with about 50 corpselovers each, their armies are vast and have succeeded into sacking my seccond capital twice. the first one, a boatmurdered inspired doom vulcano, naturally taken over by our green friends. ive been able to reclaim a few dwarves fortresses but they will likely soon fall once the necrodancers are done wiping out *originel mordor dont steal*, at the start we even had a necromancer as liason, pretty cool right? anyway the objective was easy: create a thriving dwarves empire without savescumming, mods, hax or other shananigans (save manipulation only allowed during gamebreaking bugs (im looking at you seperatist dworfs!)). anyway i succeded so far. suprisingly it isnt that bad since sieges only show up after 2-3 migrant waves, giving me the feeling their waiting for my fortress to become plump with new recruits, so i got that to look forward too. i hope the post entertained someone out there on the forums becouse i think this is a world worth telling of, a place where blackened skeletons scale a burning mountain to rip small bearded man in half armed with sticks and clad in poop socks. cheers from from the familial continent.
PS: sorry for the lack of screenshots.
PPS: its a pocket world.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Re: df hard mode
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 05:53:12 am »

Nice!

Can you share a save, or the worldgen params (with seeds)?

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

slave of amok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 06:47:19 am »

i would if i knew how  :-[ im pretty new to the whole forum thing, but it should be pretty easy to replicate though: its a pocket world with minimum temperature to 30, all the stuff like *secret types* and *wherebeasts* to max, no wealth or pop treshold for attacks and about 14 vulcanos, world gen would sadly error after 20. beware it might take a bit to load the world once you have made one.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 02:23:52 pm »

You can upload your save to the Dwarf Fortress File Depot (DFFD).
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

slave of amok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 03:37:29 pm »

sorry for being a necromancer here, but since i was asked i feel i should finaly make a reply becouse i discovered how imgur workes, here ya go https://imgur.com/a/rRR6sbs its not all of the fun stuff that happend after this post but i hope it brings insight into what ive been up too. i made some more posts about this fort later on so if some poor sod finds himself wandering the halls of fort posts past they might see me again :)