Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best pies to creampie clowns? [SPOILERS]  (Read 2938 times)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Best pies to creampie clowns? [SPOILERS]
« on: May 31, 2020, 03:13:21 am »

I recently managed to get to the very bottom of a clownspire and make my way to the circus. What I immediately noticed was my steel axe was barely capable of scratching most of its inhabitants. What weapons are the best to deal with that which dwells beneath?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
Re: Best pies to creampie clowns? [SPOILERS]
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 01:53:46 pm »

Candyfloss obviously, nothing is more deadly than a candyfloss katana

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 11:46:23 pm »

Candyfloss obviously, nothing is more deadly than a candyfloss katana

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I know the best filling for the pies, but I'm wondering which pie shape is the best overall, and can do the most damage without a cotton candy center. My guess is pikes, but I'm wondering if any more experienced circus hunters can fill in.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 02:17:14 am »

I danced with a clown only once. I found quick-scratching the most useful weapon against them, together with back-away dodging. Look for opportunity fast punches, against head or legs. Use sneak to come as close as you can from behind, so you can use 1 heaviest hardest strike against them. I never found out which strike is the best with steel ax, though. Steel ax was almost useless.

I had no opportunity to test silver hammer for damage tbh. There was a huge lag in Dark Fortress.

Mobilescrub

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 05:35:56 am »

TL;DR silver great axe for rocky clowns, big hacking weapons like halberds and great axes for fleshy clowns to maximize bleeding, and spears, pikes, and whips for metallic clowns to maximize penetration.

I remember a peculiarity with the silver great axe. My companion wielding it had a high chance severing torsos of goblins and cleaving rocky creatures in half with only one swing, which is far better than what I can say about my bronze great axe. But when it failed to cut it was practically useless and was almost always deflected by any metallic armor. It was an interesting all or nothing weapon so I traded him for it. So if the clowns are rock based, giant silver axes might be the way to go. Probably something to do with silver's heaviness.

One clown bled out after hitting it with enough iron halberd slashes so bleeding them with large slashing weapons seems the way to go if they're fleshy.

In fortress mode metallic titans were easily taken care of with spears of steel and higher.

So based on my random experiences silver great axes for rocky stuff, big weapons like giant axes and halberds for fleshy stuff to bleed them, and spears of the highest tier metals for metal stuff.

Or whips which will brain anything with a flick or two no matter the size, armor, or material of the enemy.

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 04:51:29 pm »

maximize penetration

L O L
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 03:15:46 pm »

Either the above or the best spears you can get your hands on. Steel, adamantine, or divine metal. Enough stab wounds will kill anything. Even rock demons.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 09:51:17 am »

From my experience the best weapons are the coins, arrow and bolts - when thrown. Needs training in throwing. It outperforms other weapons (compared to whips, spears, halberds, or blunt weapons, I rarely use other in adventurer).

Apart from that, try finding a candy or steel spear. Or raid a vault for divine metal weapons. Might require experience with some good weapons though. Also, it is possible that the divine metal would be too exotic. I once had one which had temperature so high, it would evaporate the murky pools when thrown in. My vampire could carry it only for a short time before the need for recuperation (from bleeding).

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 04:13:15 am »

From my experience the best weapons are the coins, arrow and bolts - when thrown. Needs training in throwing. It outperforms other weapons

Wait, throwing an arrow is better than shooting it? Is this a known bug?

edit: oh, it has been reported as a bug in 2012 and was rejected because "it is a balance issue". That's hilarious.
https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5684
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 04:42:56 am by Quarque »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2020, 09:28:35 pm »

This thread's title is a crime.