Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: animal people and how to get them playable?  (Read 2986 times)

Defensive kobra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
animal people and how to get them playable?
« on: June 01, 2020, 08:18:29 am »

if an site exists in an savage biome of the kind where mundane versions of the animal person should appear, will i be garanteed to have the abillity to play an animal person of that type or is it more complicated than that? is it possible for animal people of an certain kind to simply not exist in a given area / tile, and if so how likely / unlikely is that?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: animal people and how to get them playable?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 09:51:10 am »

will i be garanteed to have the abillity to play an animal person of that type or is it more complicated than that?
Depends on whether they migrate to the site in worldgen or not. Basically random but more likely with older worlds.
is it possible for animal people of an certain kind to simply not exist in a given area / tile, and if so how likely / unlikely is that?
It's likely for some forests, for example, to not have wolf-people. Or deserts to not have camel-people. And that's just savage biomes. Non-savage biomes never have animal-people.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 01:03:07 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 04:49:47 pm »

Actually its possible to play all species of animal people, As long as they are in contact with a civilization IIRC
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 12:03:22 am »

The first list presented are the civilized animal-person populations of your playable civs (human, elf, dwarf in vanilla). These populations are the result of events during history generation in which populations of wild animal people "civilize". So they need to have been there in the first place of course.

The second list (Intelligent wilderness creature) gives you the full selection of animal people in your world and assumes that you yourself decided to "civilize" and join a human, elf or dwarf civilization. This is much longer, but I think it still won't give you the complete list of animal people, as some may not exist at all in your world (especially in smaller, low savagery worlds).

(Plump helmet men and gorlaks will also follow the same civilizing patterns).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 12:26:36 am by Shonai_Dweller »

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 01:04:01 am »

Yeah I forgot about the second screen. I'm not sure if it has any gameplay effect besides flavor though.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Defensive kobra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 01:39:43 am »

The first list presented are the civilized animal-person populations of your playable civs (human, elf, dwarf in vanilla). These populations are the result of events during history generation in which populations of wild animal people "civilize". So they need to have been there in the first place of course.

The second list (Intelligent wilderness creature) gives you the full selection of animal people in your world and assumes that you yourself decided to "civilize" and join a human, elf or dwarf civilization. This is much longer, but I think it still won't give you the complete list of animal people, as some may not exist at all in your world (especially in smaller, low savagery worlds).

yeah i know the diffrence between assimilated species that can also include kobolds and intelegent wilderness beasts i was specifically looking on how to improve the second list by placing my mighty dwarven fort in the right spot and it seems not to have worked and that is why i made this post

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 03:31:11 am »

yeah i know the diffrence between assimilated species that can also include kobolds and intelegent wilderness beasts i was specifically looking on how to improve the second list by placing my mighty dwarven fort in the right spot and it seems not to have worked and that is why i made this post
Pretty sure the civilizing process doesn't occur after initial worldgen. I mean, it might but you'd need to test several dozen fortresses for the few hundred years it takes them to trigger a civilizing event, so I doubt anyone has done that science.

Defensive kobra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 05:12:45 am »

Pretty sure the civilizing process doesn't occur after initial worldgen. I mean, it might but you'd need to test several dozen fortresses for the few hundred years it takes them to trigger a civilizing event, so I doubt anyone has done that science.
okay but again, i am not talking about civilizing animal people since that is so unreliable, i am talking strictly about how to make them available under intelegent wilderness beasts by making forts in savage regions were they could reasonably spawn, i do not really care about forcing them to join civilisations

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 04:11:46 pm »

okay but again, i am not talking about civilizing animal people since that is so unreliable, i am talking strictly about how to make them available under intelegent wilderness beasts by making forts in savage regions were they could reasonably spawn, i do not really care about forcing them to join civilisations
Populations exist regardless of a player fortress being there or not. So, no. Besides necromancer experiments, no site can magically produce new species yet. (Maybe pets, they're a bit weird).

Defensive kobra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 03:54:27 am »

Populations exist regardless of a player fortress being there or not. So, no. Besides necromancer experiments, no site can magically produce new species yet. (Maybe pets, they're a bit weird).
ah yes, let me clarify again, i am not talking about spontaineus generation ether, merely turning uncontacted species into contacted ones, for instance maybe in my world all chameleon men exist on an map tile with no nearby settlements from neither humans elves nor dwarves, putting an fort at that tile or near it should then the logically intelligent wilderness beast version of the chamelon that was previously unavailable should now be available, correct? previously they had no place to civilize themselves, now they do have a place to become woodcutters and farmers since there is a dwarven cite nearby.
There, have i made the intent of this post sufficiently clear? I merely want to contact the uncontacted natives of the land
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 04:56:12 am by Defensive kobra »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 05:37:15 am »

Are unconnected pops of animal people actually unavailable to select from the Intelligent Wilderness Creature menu?

I haven't investigated that far. I mean, they all live in savage biomes, so theoretically none of them should have any contact and yet they're available to select.

Defensive kobra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 08:25:37 am »

Are unconnected pops of animal people actually unavailable to select from the Intelligent Wilderness Creature menu?

I haven't investigated that far. I mean, they all live in savage biomes, so theoretically none of them should have any contact and yet they're available to select.
when playing animal people you quickly notice that animal people of certain types can only start from certain cililisations, and it seems to have something to do with if any cites in that cililisation is near the appropriate biome, for instance many times the only playable civs of quatic animal people are those near the coast, or sometimes the only available civ for your snake man adventurer is the filthy elves, so clearly there is some connection between location and available animal people, you can go to just about any generated world and see the pattern so to me it seems like if certain animal people are too far away from any cililized land they become completely unavailable