Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: there are no trees, what did i do wrong?  (Read 870 times)

Defensive kobra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
there are no trees, what did i do wrong?
« on: June 02, 2020, 09:52:01 am »

so i made myself a world that was supposed to be this deserted wasteland, and edited the parameters to make rocky wastelands, sand dunes and mountains essentially the only possible biomes, removed all poles and made shure that the minimum base temperature was like 48 degrees Celsius. But it seems like i overdid it becuase in not a single tile ar there any trees, like i know deserts dont typically have trees and it fits the aestetic, but i was kinda expecting trees to exist at least somewhere since i have seen them exist in other deserts and the wiki says they are supposed to be there.
Has it perhaps something to do with the maximum rainfall value being set to 0, and that presumably no rain of any kind has ever happened in this world ever? might that have some adverse effect in tree growth? should i see this as an experiment from Armok to see how far dwarves will rely on trees? should i still expect to find trees in the caverns?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: there are no trees, what did i do wrong?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 10:02:09 am »

so i made myself a world that was supposed to be this deserted wasteland,
Clearly, you succeeded!

(I predict you will find underground 'trees', but I can't be sure. I wonder how the elves are living in your world?)

Defensive kobra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 10:07:02 am »

so i made myself a world that was supposed to be this deserted wasteland,
Clearly, you succeeded!

(I predict you will find underground 'trees', but I can't be sure. I wonder how the elves are living in your world?)
the answer is they dont, this is an completely elf- free world i got here, not a single stinky hippie to ruin my day, or maybe they hid in the caves. All i know is in the lack of elves, goblins are a lot more common for some reason, very much outnumbering the dwarves

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 10:16:55 am »

Yes. A rainfall value of 0 probably also results in a vegetation value of 0. Vegetation 0-1: No trees or shrubs. 2-4 (or possibly 5, I don't quite remember): No tree growth (but I think there can be some on embark: no new saplings can appear), but shrubs can grow. Rainfall < 10 (or possibly 9): Desert/badlands (assuming the temperature is above that of the cold biomes, which it is in your world). If you want surface trees, try to use a Rainfall range of 6-9 instead.

Cavern biomes are not tied to the surface ones (apart from reanimation and savagery), although the boundaries are the same. A cavern water level < 10 results in a "muddy cavern" with no trees, with values above that results in normal caverns (that may or may not have bodies of water in them). Unless you play with the cavern water parameters muddy caverns are not common, and if you have 3 caverns the odds of all of them being muddy on standard settings are very low.

Neither elves nor humans ought to be possible in that world, as elves require forests and humans require plains. However, it depends on the interpretation of "essentially".