Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21

Author Topic: Gardening with herbal magicks!  (Read 21419 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Gardening with herbs!
« Reply #105 on: January 13, 2021, 10:47:05 am »

Yes, I need to start tomatoes and peppers.

Thanks for the reminder.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 20, 2021, 12:00:02 pm »

The great shrooming begins!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2021, 05:43:09 pm »

great sporulation for the nation

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2021, 12:46:35 am »

svamphauset?

If you have more than one, are they svamphausen?

(and is that what my brain says it is? "Swamp house" ?)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2021, 06:35:29 am »

Half right! Svamp is Mushroom but Hus is 100% House.

-Et is the postfix that declares definitive form. The plural of Hus is also just Hus but in plural the definite form postfix becomes -En (as in Husen).

So it's the Mushroom House!
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2021, 06:39:53 am »

I hate to say it, but the mushroom media looks like a bag of VERY low quality hash.  (maybe deep discount tobacco)

I recently ordered some compressed coconut coir potting mix (because of how abysmally low in organic material my garden soil is...), so I think I will do an experiment to see how well the spawn for my shrooms take to straight coir medium. (If they can live on shredded cardboard, they might be fine on coir) 

If that works, I could have a huge amount of the stuff going at once.

The major innovation you have in that kit is that bag with the integrated porous gas exchange area. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 06:43:38 am by wierd »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2021, 06:42:44 am »

Hey don't bash we can't get any better quality here in Sweden :P
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2021, 06:46:29 am »

Bologna!  You could drive to Amsterdam and get the good stuff!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2021, 10:45:47 am »

So what process do you guys even use to make good fungi

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2021, 11:17:28 am »

I use mycelial division.  (basically, take the white fuzzy bits the mushrooms grow out of, break it up into pieces, then distribute it into sterilized, damp media, and let it grow.)

I got a very small tupperware container of such material from my older sister last year.  I have been keeping it going all last summer, and all winter. Harvested edible mushrooms several times from the newly cultured media.

Scriver has a commercially purchased grow kit.  It is comprised of a mostly decorative cardboard house, a bag filled with spawn-infused medium, and a care instruction pamphlet.

The bag itself is the fancy bit of that kit.  It appears to have a fancy strip of breathable material around it, which allows sterile gas exchange with the outside environment, while keeping germs, and foreign fungal spores out.

Typically, the bags that these grow kits use have small perforations in the bag, such that when fruit body growth is initiated, they are able to poke through/tear the bag all on their own.

Now, about the general concept:

Mushroom growth is moderated by carbon dioxide levels. 

Very high CO2 levels, and the mycelium starts to die from suffocation
Fairly high CO2 levels, and the mycelium "Runs"-- eg, it spreads into a fuzzy mass, and colonizes the medium quickly. 
Moderate CO2 levels (with exposure to light), and the mushrooms pin, then make long and gangly stalks with small caps (which are prone to abort)
Low CO2 levels, the mushrooms stop pinning, but mushroom pins that formed will produce high quality mushrooms.

The bag Scriver got in his kit is, again, the fancy part of the kit.  It allows ideal gas exchange at each stage of the mushroom's development, but is sadly NOT re-usable.

Simplified:

1) Sterilize your medium before inoculation.
2) Sterilize your growth chamber before putting medium inside.
3) Inoculate your medium under as close to sterile conditions as you can.
4) Allow only low levels of gas exchange during the initial incubation of the culture, but DO allow it to breathe.  This promotes quality mycelial mass formation.
5) Increase ventilation of the medium, so that pinning starts, but do not allow it to be fully open to air. Permit exposure to light. (indoor lighting is sufficient)
6) Once pinning starts, allow full ventilation, but keep mushrooms moist. Continue exposure to light.
7) Allow mushrooms to mature, then harvest.
8] If your chamber permits, restrict ventilation again to restart mycelial run behavior, then restart. Repeat until medium exhausted.
9) If your chamber does not permit this (such as the plastic bag that scriver has), or your media has become exhausted, break up the mycelial mass into small, "shooter marble" sized bits, and distribute it in fresh, sterilized medium, in a freshly cleaned (or brand new) container. (eg, if you are using bags, use a brand new bag. If you are using a sealable tupperware tub, move to a freshly cleaned and prepared tub.)
10) do the process over and over and over again.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 11:21:45 am by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2021, 11:32:37 am »

Ok, that out of the way, Blue Oyster is "Absurdly easy" to grow.  It is HIGHLY tolerant of contaminants, and can overpower most competitors.

OTHER kinds of mushroom, are more weaksauce, and need increasingly high levels of sterility to thrive.

Mushrooms that grow on actual wood can often be cultivated on pressed sawdust bricks, or pellet-stove fuel pellets. (shitake, maitake, bunapi, etc..)
Mushrooms that grow on leafmold, or softwoods, can often be grown on waste paper products. (also coconut coir, and a number of others)  (Oyster, lion's mane, Jelly Ear, etc..)
Mushrooms that grow on grass or straw, do well on wheat or rice straw that has been sterilized.

Some mushrooms really do best on sterilized cow manure.  (White button, ... Psilocybe... (ahem)... etc)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2021, 11:33:18 am »

The mushroom house package I got contained mycel-spawn and hay pellets for them to grow on. So all you do is open the ventilation hatched on the house (shaped like generation hatches), put the pellets and mushroom seed in the special filtered bag, shake it all around, and poured some water on it before you put it in the box and close the roof flaps over it. Now it's supposed to rest for three weeks until you open up the windows and doors so the fruit thingies can grow out of them.

Later on you're supposed to be able to transfer the mushroot system to a piece of wood and keep it alive for new harvests.

We bought it from their website here but it's in Swedish.

Love, scriver~

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2021, 11:40:40 am »

What do you do to make them fruit? Water them? Or decrease temperature or something?

Fungi cultivation is very interesting but completely beyond me.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2021, 11:43:30 am »

Depends on the mushroom.

For this kind, (oyster), it is initiated when CO2 level is reasonably high, they mycelium is exposed to air, and there is sufficient water and nutrition available.
Once fruit bodies start to form (pinning), the CO2 levels need to drastically lowered, so that quality fruit bodies form.

See also this very informative PDF.

http://www.fungifun.org/mushworld/Oyster-Mushroom-Cultivation/mushroom-growers-handbook-1-mushworld-com-chapter-8-4.pdf

and this blurb.

https://senseair.com/knowledge/application-notes/life-science-safety/agriculture/mushroom-farming/

« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 11:48:44 am by wierd »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2021, 07:07:50 am »

Sounds easy, but then I'm sure I'd somehow become the Mushroom granny from Darkwood.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21