Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21

Author Topic: Gardening with herbal magicks!  (Read 21428 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Gardening with herbs!
« Reply #165 on: February 25, 2021, 05:00:11 pm »

Now, do it with chanterelles.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 25, 2021, 05:35:35 pm »

No need to do that, we've got chanterelles growing in the garden :P
Love, scriver~

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 25, 2021, 05:44:38 pm »

...Do you adopt strays?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 25, 2021, 06:00:11 pm »

Not any longer, there's not enough chanterelles :P
Love, scriver~

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 25, 2021, 06:01:02 pm »

:'(

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 25, 2021, 11:59:05 pm »

hmm. how much did the shroomhouse cost?

It costs 199 swedish crowns, which equals 24,02 american dales! From a quick glance at the home page it looks like they export to the US (and pretty much the entire world). I will not be ligible for speaking about the legalities of food and plant ex- and importation though ;)

So, did you eat them yet?

I really suggest frying them.

In my own mushrooming-- I have divided my mushroom medium again, between several large plastic catlitter tubs, filled with hydrated coconut coir.  That was about 3 days ago.  At least 2 are showing signs of life.  I have to wait the full 2 to 3 weeks for the medium to colonize.

I think the coconut coir is a superior medium to the paper. It holds moisture better without becoming anaerobic, and the mycelium seems to migrate through it quite speedily,  It is also pretty cheap to get in bulk.

I forgot to ask earlier -- when you divide the shroom, do you mean literally divide the shroom-infested mass, or is there more to it?

You take the stuff inside your bag, break it up into marble sized chunks, then disperse it amongst new medium.  This gives the now "small" colonies of mushroom sufficient nutrition to initiate a spawn run, and allows for speedy colonization of your new medium.

Since you are dividing the old medium up with more new medium, the amount of mushroom being cultivated will increase each time you divide it.  I have gone from a small sandwich bag sized sample of mushroom culture on some coffee grounds, to 4 catlitter tubs full of medium, in 3 divisions.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 28, 2021, 04:25:46 am »

I received a start of a new mushroom variety from my OTHER sister yesterday.  The spawn is not mature enough to distribute into a culture container, so I will have to wait a bit until it is. 

New species:  Wine cap mushroom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stropharia_rugosoannulata

I have a large order of coconut coir coming sometime around the 3rd anyway.  Hopefully the spawn start will be mature enough to distribute by then.  It apparently grows fine on sawdust and or, wood pellets for pellet stoves, so it should do well on the coir.   It would be nice to have a more flavorful mushroom to go with the less flavorful blue oysters.  (Even if this mushroom is essentially the rare 'edible toadstool'.  Normally one should simply steer clear of that genus.)

Since it can grow fine (outdoors) in my region, the 'spent' mushroom culture can be tilled into my garden. With any luck, it will become a permanent resident of the back yard.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 28, 2021, 08:08:14 am »

Garden Giant. Nice!
Love, scriver~

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 28, 2021, 08:59:37 pm »

New species:  Wine cap mushroom.

♠♠♠
♠♠♠
♠♠♠
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 01, 2021, 06:53:20 am »

Make Dwarven Wine?
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 01, 2021, 10:20:14 am »

I dont think it would work....  They are named, because when made into a saute, they have a flavor reminiscent of having been brazed in red wine.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 01, 2021, 02:31:21 pm »

Braise them in white wine, it should be the culinary equivalent of dividing by zero.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 09, 2021, 10:28:59 am »

Well, the great freeze has finally released its deathgrip on my soil.

Last year, I struggled keeping the soil hydrated, because of a catastrophic deficiency in organic material in my dirt. (really, the stuff is just practically pure clay and sand tumbled together. Useless.)  As such, I am deep-tilling, and amending with epic assloads of hydrated hardwood pellets, and a potassium bearing fertilizer.

I had ordered coconut coir, but it is too expensive by weight to order in sufficient quantities.  The hardwood pellets are food-prep grade (for BBQs) in 40lb bags, and about 3/4 the price of the delivered coir bricks.  They dont break up as nicely, but I intend to till this stuff together after layering it up anyway.

I am currently building the bed up in 2in thick layers of soil and 1in thick layers of hydrated wood pellet mixed with fertilizer.  With any luck this should improve my gardening experience tremendously, and pay back dividends on investment for several years.

Additionally, with enough wood biomass in the soil back there, once I get these winecaps going, I can till in bits of the spent mushroom bedding, and perhaps get them going in the yard.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 09, 2021, 01:55:35 pm »

Today is PLANTING DAY! Weather report in my area says no frost for the foreseeable future. I am excite!
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 14, 2021, 07:28:27 pm »

I haven't signed up yet, but I've decided I'm going to sign up for a sustainability project called "one square metre flax" and grow one square metre of flax. Then I'm going to do all the funny sounding verbs that mean things you do to plants and make thread out of it. Possibly oil too. It's sponsored by the swedish handicraft association and I get the flax seeds for free
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21