Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21

Author Topic: Gardening with herbal magicks!  (Read 21433 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Gardening with herbal magicks!
« Reply #270 on: August 06, 2021, 01:33:04 pm »

Ripped a bunch of long bois out of the ground today

Do you think that's enough for a shirt?

I've been following this gardening thread for a while, and I guess I will share my pictures of my bumblebee nest here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's the cutest bumbleebee-bo!

Did you set it up like that with the holey branch in the ground or is it a natural happenstance?
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #271 on: August 06, 2021, 02:09:05 pm »

Sounds like it's time for murder in the dark.
That or I leave a beer out for them

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 11, 2021, 02:08:18 pm »

My family's gardens are producing nothing but tomatoes this year. Weve all been too busy and tired to do any gardening.

The deer were eating almost everything anyway, jumping over the fence and whatnot to get at the good stuff. They even ate my jalapeño plant. If deer counted as a garden product, I'd say our gardens have been pretty successful.

I found a toad the other night by the shitter, though. Big fat one, very lumpy. Chickens being locked up most of the time the wildlifes coming back. Especially the coyote that's been killing the chickens. Won't fucking give up
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 16, 2021, 12:56:21 pm »

Are you allowed to...

[mafia voice] take care of...

...the coyote
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 29, 2021, 07:07:52 pm »

Mintacle died. Spider mites are bad, mmkay. Overwatering it in a non-draining planter is bad too. Catnip is looking pretty sparse, but it keeps trying to flower.

I have acquired four teeny tiny clearance succulents, three roundy nubbly leaf boys and one stubby aloe wannabe. They're Phil, Lil, Bill, and Ted, individually, and collectively sharing one planter, I believe I have to call them the succu-bus.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 28, 2021, 03:04:49 am »

My mother, moved up into the lovely mountains of our state (NC), has been struggling with groundhogs and deer.  We love deer, I dream of them often, and she is considering noise-machines to scare them off from nibbling her plants.

She has the most wonderful herb gardens, I should dig up some pictures in the morning.  She focuses on flavorful herbs and butterfly-attracting flowers rather than staple crops, but she is constantly talking about survival.  She is ready to transition her garden when everything falls apart.

And here I am cultivating a briar over my front door, placing it back against the edges when it slides off.  I love a vine <3

And I fondly remember the potato plant I cultivated.  A couple months of pollen, in my bathroom.  Up against the window.  The "fruit", the potato, was tiny and misshapen.  I would have eaten a bite - except that I feared its nightshade.  It was an experiment, it obviously lacked the nutrients to grow large and hearty.

I'm told that mom and dad's generation (and/or their parents) grew lovely gardens to supplement rations, back in a time when we did nationalism and it was... not good, but literally anti-fascist.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 28, 2021, 03:39:07 am »

Best non-technological way to keep deer out of your herb garden is a hedge fence  made out of thorny brambles. It will take a few years to grow big enough to be menacing though.
I suppose the noise thingy will work as well, deer are pretty jittery.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 19, 2022, 02:47:06 pm »

Lost a few plants, gained a few plants more. The catnip came back squirrelly, two of the four new succulents died out. Got a few foliages, the poinsettia, lorge tentacle succulent on top (and its five pups!), the orange leafy boy on the middle shelf, two basilfriends that were unwanted flowering heads of a friend's basil plants, a single ivy plant that I propagated into five ivy plants, and little ol' Murph Jr, a pothos node I found detached from the plant patriarch in the house. Murph Jr has three leaves and I'm so proud of it.

Spoiler: happy happy family (click to show/hide)

Fungus gnats still pop up every so often, but I've defeated 80% of the problem, I reckon. Pots with drain holes help a bunch. The fam is much happier with them- I still have a few pots I really ought to drill some holes into.

Oh, and Murph Jr. sprouted a fungus at one point:

This one I carved out. Happy to grow new friends, but I'd prefer they grow by guidance, not as surprise visitors.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 19, 2022, 04:22:40 pm »

Looks great!

Me myself have lots of stuff to show but I keep procastrinating and forghetting about it. i haven't even wrott up the results of my flax harvest! Some day now I will
Love, scriver~

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 21, 2022, 02:39:52 pm »

I need to start my garden back up.

I hope some of my bushes like blueberry and whatnot come back after the winter :(
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 22, 2022, 12:13:53 am »

It is too cold to do garden work at this time of year in my state.

In about another month, I will start the process of turning my soil over, and doing the needful.  It has had a whole winter to digest the absurd amount of organic matter I stuffed it full of last spring, and to suck up the fertilizer I tilled in.

It underperformed last summer, but I think this was because the soil had not produced the necessary microbial lifeforms for healthy soil yet.  It has had sufficient time to incubate now.  Once temperatures are proper, I will set out plants.

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 23, 2022, 09:27:14 pm »

Murph Jr. sprouted another mushroom.

I'm somewhere between letting him keep the fungus as a roommate for the fun of it and worrying it'll spread spores and propagate to the other houseplants. Internet says it's harmless, fortunately. It's just... Uncanny that there's this fruiting body that sprouts up overnight in the shape and order of my houseplant ecology.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 23, 2022, 10:45:44 pm »

It's probably the brother of the previous mushroom.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 26, 2022, 07:01:05 am »

If the plant is healthy I'd just assume that the mycelium is either harmless or beneficial, and so long as you're not counting on eating your houseplants, and aren't disgusted by mushrooms, I think they're fine and will probably not bother you during summer.

Also I think you can relatively safely add some hydrogen peroxide to the water if you want to get rid of the funguys but not the plant, but doublecheck on that before doing anything brash.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 07:05:42 am by dragdeler »
let

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 26, 2022, 01:11:07 pm »

I wouldn't mind growing some mushrooms. Can you do it outside? I don't really have any inside space for that.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21