Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21

Author Topic: Gardening with herbal magicks!  (Read 21374 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gardening with herbs!
« Reply #180 on: March 14, 2021, 07:39:37 pm »

That's super cool. Can't wait for photos and whatnot, Scriver.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 19, 2021, 01:04:27 pm »

So I harvested my first two leeks! Made some tasty soup with them.

Question: Can I re-use the soil in the pot? It's filled somewhat with little tiny leek roots. I feel like the soil wouldn't be too depleted, it was as a good-sized pot. Do I need to wait a little while for the roots to die off? Will it mess with growing something else even then?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 19, 2021, 01:34:57 pm »

I can't say I'm knowledgeable, but if in doubt, just add horse manure and it'll be all good again

Also!

Tomorrow is the day I plant my flax! It was supposed to be earlier but there was a bunch of frosty nights so they councilled us to wait a little longer. Then I had to wait for a good namesday, because it has to be sown on a day with a female name that is long (so you get long flaxeses) and preferably has "lin" (ie flax) in it, and the 20th is Karolina so it's pretty good fit!

You might think just sowing flax seeds would be a fairly straight forward procedure but no! I am going whole hog, including dressing correctly, funny walking, sowing with a silver spoon (to keep trolls, elves, and other bad spirits away of course) eating egg and drinking burnwine, and reading the correct magical spell of course.
Love, scriver~

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 19, 2021, 01:36:41 pm »

I'm pleased to note that we haven't had a troll sighting here in at least 7 years.

I've got some liquid plant food that is, in theory, able to compensate for nutrients lost. I'm gonna try and plant some basil in there.

Also FLAX. That's cool and unique, are you planning on using it for anything in particular?
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 19, 2021, 01:56:15 pm »

So I harvested my first two leeks! Made some tasty soup with them.

Question: Can I re-use the soil in the pot? It's filled somewhat with little tiny leek roots. I feel like the soil wouldn't be too depleted, it was as a good-sized pot. Do I need to wait a little while for the roots to die off? Will it mess with growing something else even then?
Make a compost heap. Throw the soil on it, get some rainworms doing their job, and re-use the soil next year. Use new soil this year.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 19, 2021, 02:03:31 pm »

Yes, I'm gonna make linen! I don't know how much linen I'll be able to get out of 1m squared but that's what I'm doing with it anyway ;)

It's part of a nation-wide sustainability project led by the Swedish national hand and crafts association society. So I got the seed for free and get to use all their old timey tools for free too.

I'm pleased to note that we haven't had a troll sighting here in at least 7 years.

If you haven't seen them run away, that's how you know they're still around :P

But yeah I'm sure you could reuse the soil at least sometime, particularly if you pour some of that soup into it. Just give it a good rotation so you even out the distribution of nutrients -- I don't know how plants suck up nutrients per se but I imagine some areas of the soil will be more eaten from than others.
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 19, 2021, 02:09:56 pm »

Tomorrow is the day I plant my flax! It was supposed to be earlier but there was a bunch of frosty nights so they councilled us to wait a little longer. Then I had to wait for a good namesday, because it has to be sown on a day with a female name that is long (so you get long flaxeses) and preferably has "lin" (ie flax) in it, and the 20th is Karolina so it's pretty good fit!

You might think just sowing flax seeds would be a fairly straight forward procedure but no! I am going whole hog, including dressing correctly, funny walking, sowing with a silver spoon (to keep trolls, elves, and other bad spirits away of course) eating egg and drinking burnwine, and reading the correct magical spell of course.

This post gave me much joy.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 19, 2021, 02:25:12 pm »

It would make me very happy if somebody were to ask me what the spell is so I have reason to translate it...
Love, scriver~

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gardening with herbal magicks!
« Reply #188 on: May 19, 2021, 02:26:51 pm »

Please, educate us with your vast knowledge of the arcane!

EDIT: Yo we gotta get some update pics of flax along the way. That's a super cool project.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 02:48:20 pm by Dunamisdeos »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 19, 2021, 03:13:40 pm »

Thank you Dunam! It would be my pleasure ;)

And hastily translated into English:

Now I have satseeded
Now I have sown
Now I have done what I can
Now it is in the hand of the Lord
to give the flax a lot of win
With sky clear and warmth pure
that disperse the air from all bad
and gives delightful growth
for the children of the earth but not for the dead

(Turn to the east)
Our sun he is the power
who gives to the ground juicestrength

(Turn to the west and bow)
Odin, Thor and the Frey
Will come now with the rain

Then you eat the eggs and drink the burnwine

EDIT: Yo we gotta get some update pics of flax along the way. That's a super cool project.

I promise I will post everytime anything happens!
Love, scriver~

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 19, 2021, 04:19:09 pm »

There are a few flax patches in a flower bed in my parents' yard. In every single plant, new flax flowers open early each morning and their petals, of a pretty shade of violet-blue, fall during the afternoon, and are dispersed by the wind. I like flax for that, it's very beautiful to see. But there aren't enough flowers to collect the seeds.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 19, 2021, 06:06:42 pm »

I hope you flax is blessed with much juice and win and love that you went all in on the ritual.

Heck, I just love that magical shit. There's a passion and joy against all sensible logic and I delight in its expression, or at least in reading its colors.

I should get more houseplants...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 20, 2021, 08:21:28 am »

Flax planted! All rituals followed!

Spoiler: cat helped out (click to show/hide)
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 20, 2021, 08:34:16 am »

Mine consumed a literal ton of organic matter.

(as in, a full 2000lbs of it, dry weight, were tilled in.)

Despite this, growth is slow.  The only things up are the squash, the pumpkins, and (some) of the green beans.

I installed a sexy mister watering system too. 

I have noted that a teeny number of carrot seedlings have done their thing, but considering I CARPET BOMBED that part of the garden, it should be much more than has come up.  Similar story with the swiss chard, and the herbs I planted.

Oh well.  Time will tell.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 20, 2021, 08:35:52 am »

I installed a sexy mister watering system too. 

clearly you have put too much faith in science and too little in spells and superstition ;)
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21