Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Magma and its long way  (Read 8498 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma and its long way
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2020, 04:53:41 pm »

You need third party tools (such as various DFHack scripts/plugins) for that unless you want to copy your save, abandon/retire, start again to look at the embark screen (note the info down this time), and quit from DF, reload your original save to continue (which is quite possible, just requiring a bit more work).

How do i find some of these? I know there is a DFHack documentation board but what exactly am I looking for?
One that gives you biome and savagery (which is my guess at what "wildernis" is supposed to mean), as well as "temperature" in the static sense (i.e. the parameter controlling the base temperature, not the current value) is the Biome Manipulator http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164658.msg7495705#msg7495705, while Showbiomes http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=160856.msg7194572#msg7194572 provides the exact biome boundaries at the embark (e.g. to find out where to put farm plots in embarks with multiple biomes). I'm not sure which tools provide the current temperature, but a guess is that "probe" might do it.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2020, 01:09:39 am »

Magma crabs don't seem to have climbing skill from the raws.  I'm not sure if they can get it somehow.
I believe they use swimming to get to the top of the 7/7 magma. If you channel into the top of a magma sea and wait, eventually they will climb out, even if there is nothing below but several z's of magma.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2020, 01:19:37 am »

Magma crabs don't seem to have climbing skill from the raws.  I'm not sure if they can get it somehow.
I believe they use swimming to get to the top of the 7/7 magma. If you channel into the top of a magma sea and wait, eventually they will climb out, even if there is nothing below but several z's of magma.
Yes, but I think muldrake is correct in that they may have trouble getting out if the magma level doesn't reach the top of the sheath. Also, while magma crabs can be somewhat dangerous, fire imps are the critters I'm more worried about (there are some even worse ones, but they're rare, while fire imps show up fairly often). I haven't checked the climbing ability of imps, though.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2020, 03:20:05 am »

The reason I like to block off magma pipes is that I'm worried that something much more dangerous than a crab might eventually crawl out. I'm paranoid like that.

I believe the real concern (if fire imps are not a threat) is some FB of a magma-safe substance with swimming/climbing skill.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2020, 04:11:00 am »

(I wrote a version of this several times before, before cancelling. Will I post this one?)
One of the first embarks I made, ever, featured an open-topped (flush) surface volcano, and a fire-imp[1] walked out and sparked a handy bush-fire.

A lot has changed since then, not the least my tastes in primary features of embark sites (and the change to four caverns, the lower being the magma sea with SMR and then ...dot dot dot..., rather than a far shorter column of rock with interesting underground rivers/bottomless chasms/etc above an undiggable base), but I've never really trusted uncapped magma since then. Happy to break into the top (for 'sighting' purposes, as well as the initial discovery break-through) but I never leave them climb-outable (and tube-top exits into a cavern are left alone save for the insight I get into where to find/avoid rhe magma through the layers below.

And then there was Climbing, as a new issue, but I already had tried to work on countermeasures to that before it was even an issue, so I was ahead of that game. Not the only game in town, though.

[1] Were there even magma-crabs, then? There were fire-vermin, definitely, wifh awkward quantum-tunnelling to adjacent tunnels through the (then quite jagged) magmatubes that gave the clever tunneller a few more ways to safely tap the side for magma, and the unluckier tunneller a few more reasons not to ignore the obvious warning signs.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2020, 04:48:25 am »

The reason I like to block off magma pipes is that I'm worried that something much more dangerous than a crab might eventually crawl out. I'm paranoid like that.

I believe the real concern (if fire imps are not a threat) is some FB of a magma-safe substance with swimming/climbing skill.
All FBs are immune to the magma temperature, including those made of snow. FBs do not have magma vision, though, although that hasn't stopped some of them from navigating via the magma sea in the past.

And fire imps are a threat to anyone not able to consistently block/dodge the attacks from the imp, even if no fire is started (which is a big concern in itself, as Starver relates). Once a dorf is set on fire only water will douse it, and dorfs don't know that, so they don't run for water even if water is present. Wading through water seems to protect against fire, though.

Fire snakes still exist and, being vermin, appear in appropriate tunnels. I've never had any set vegetation on fire, though, but they've destroyed (wooden) minecarts and buckets (the latter resulting in horrendous cancellation spam as that precise bucket allocated to the water hauling job cannot be found in any of the 10000 attempts during the next minute).

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2020, 06:00:45 am »

All FBs are immune to the magma temperature, including those made of snow. FBs do not have magma vision, though, although that hasn't stopped some of them from navigating via the magma sea in the past.

Do they come up the tube to the top and come out the top, though?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2020, 07:43:15 am »

Do they come up the tube to the top and come out the top, though?
Given how rarely they path through magma in the first place, it's doubtful too many people would have encountered it if they can.
Also note that this requires there to be a magma pool in the cavern the FB appears in. I've had an FB get up from the first cavern to the surface through a cave on the embark, if that's any indication.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2020, 12:54:56 pm »

All FBs are immune to the magma temperature, including those made of snow.

Eh I think you're confused with *spoilers*. Some fb are immune, but most (all the fleshy ones) will burn from magma. I roasted about 20 of them in my best fort. The second before they die their description is two pages of bleeding, melted body parts and missing fat.

In fact, I witnessed a fire breathing fb fly over a magma pipe in the caverns, burn his wings, crash and burn to death.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2020, 02:54:03 pm »

All FBs are immune to the magma temperature, including those made of snow.

Eh I think you're confused with *spoilers*. Some fb are immune, but most (all the fleshy ones) will burn from magma. I roasted about 20 of them in my best fort. The second before they die their description is two pages of bleeding, melted body parts and missing fat.

In fact, I witnessed a fire breathing fb fly over a magma pipe in the caverns, burn his wings, crash and burn to death.
That's odd, as I believe I've seen all types being immune. I've certainly had an FB get into the magma sea and go down to the bottom and being beaten on for the rest of the fortress' history by a magma crab or fire imp (don't remember which). The lack of magma vision meant it couldn't fight back, although it didn't take any damage either. I can't swear on it being fleshy, though: it might have been a solid non organic one.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2020, 12:44:10 am »

Given how rarely they path through magma in the first place, it's doubtful too many people would have encountered it if they can.
Also note that this requires there to be a magma pool in the cavern the FB appears in. I've had an FB get up from the first cavern to the surface through a cave on the embark, if that's any indication.

I have the latter happen fairly often, because I often dig down to the caverns through a separate entrance, so that the front gate blocks anything from the caverns, and so I can capture it on the way up, and release it on any particularly annoying siege.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2020, 01:50:29 am »

And fire imps are a threat to anyone not able to consistently block/dodge the attacks from the imp, even if no fire is started (which is a big concern in itself, as Starver relates). Once a dorf is set on fire only water will douse it, and dorfs don't know that, so they don't run for water even if water is present. Wading through water seems to protect against fire, though.
That's what I used to think too, but when I sent a swordsdwarf to slay one* recentlish in 4303 they got set on fire but stopped being so when the alcohol in their flask boiled away in a flash of hot - or relatively cold gas, leaving the ‼hood‼ on their head just a XhoodX.

Argument for making glass vials, I guess.

* A mistake when I could have just sent a miner and thus avoided the firejet, as fire imps usually don't use that on civvies.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2020, 02:12:40 am »

That's a cool (or, rather, hot) mechanic.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2020, 11:21:23 am »

DerSchlund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2020, 08:05:03 am »

Ok so I made it this far:
The track elevator works to a certain point. As long as the elevator goes straight up no prolem. Then there is a ~10 to 12 tiles long corridor with about 3 impulsramps. But the MC just stops in this corridor. I had to fix the elevator and some other things in my fortress so I hadn't enough time to fix this one...

so stay tuned :D

But to be honest.... with two stockpiles, 10 mincards und some wheelbarrows a managed to start about 10 magmaworkshops near the surface. So I think in the future I would probably do this as a standard.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5