Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An idea for stress management  (Read 1669 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
An idea for stress management
« on: June 05, 2020, 07:54:02 am »

Just occurred to me while reading new posts in ThreeToe's thread about game-ending stress (which I recommend everybody chime in).  How would you feel if your Dwarves were able to act on labors that are not assigned, for the purpose of fulfilling needs?  The mechanic would function similar to a strange mood; one of the few instances where your control is overwritten.  A Dwarf who is assigned only hauling labors needs creative downtime in his life, so he claims a Craftdwarf Workshop, puts your own work orders on hold, then spends a few days crafting stuff and feels better.  Similarly, Dwarves that need some action in their life would be allowed to visit a designated Training Zone and throw down with the military, or start a Tavern brawl.

If the Dorfs were smart enough to mostly handle their own needs, provided we give them the means to do so, I think that would help alleviate a lot of the issues with the current system.  It's not a complete solution mind you; rain, favorite food & drink, missing family that doesn't exist, just to name a few.  However, I believe it would go a long ways towards reducing the micromanagement of the current system.  Doubly so for meeting the needs of military dwarves who won't normally perform civilian labors.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 06:29:40 pm by Immortal-D »

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: An idea for stress management
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 08:51:15 am »

I think that's a fine suggestion. It would lend a bit more autonomy to the dorfies too.
We already see a bit of this when children occasionally perform jobs.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 09:18:09 am »

Guildhalls pretty much do this already. Dorfs meet needs by hanging out and learning stuff.
The missing link is, as you say, having dorfs (all dorfs) actually seek out ways to meet their needs before they're drowning in self-pity.
Tavern brawls are great for making everyone feel better when you're playing a modded violence-loving civ by the way. Tons of good "feeling exhilarated after being attacked" thoughts. Hospital fills up quickly, but still...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 11:13:12 am »

Guildhalls do that to a limited extent, but they default to closed membership, have more or less random instruction selection and intervals, and probably don't satisfy the do something creative part. Enhancing guild halls with "instruction" workshops for use by anyone permitted to enter would help, although you should really be able to designate any workshop as a recreational one (placing them in the guild halls would really just be thematic). Materials selection might be an issue, but some materials should be out of bounds (candy, economic stone not permitted via the standard UI, possibly a way to restrict your precious metals [according to what you consider precious], similar to the standard stone restrictions). Of course, you can set things up with stockpile links, but you get even more issues than normal with that system, as you're not controlling what junk they're producing.

However, this discussion should probably be included into ThreeToe's thread, or at least referenced from there to allow him to find it.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 07:05:29 pm »

Guildhalls do that to a limited extent, but they default to closed membership, have more or less random instruction selection and intervals, and probably don't satisfy the do something creative part. Enhancing guild halls with "instruction" workshops for use by anyone permitted to enter would help, although you should really be able to designate any workshop as a recreational one (placing them in the guild halls would really just be thematic). Materials selection might be an issue, but some materials should be out of bounds (candy, economic stone not permitted via the standard UI, possibly a way to restrict your precious metals [according to what you consider precious], similar to the standard stone restrictions). Of course, you can set things up with stockpile links, but you get even more issues than normal with that system, as you're not controlling what junk they're producing.

However, this discussion should probably be included into ThreeToe's thread, or at least referenced from there to allow him to find it.
Suggestions forum for suggestions. That stress thread is probably not being read any more considering everyone is just repeating the same thing over and over and over again.

--edit
Ah, OK, I see., this wasn't in Suggestions originally.

joaodosgrao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 08:27:10 pm »

That's a great idea.

I would like, if you allow me, to expand it.

And it comes down to... Zone workshops. It has already been discussed in quite a few threads here.

I consider the implementation of it of huge importance, because it would solve a TON of logistic problems, as well as reactions.

And... You could create a zone exclusively for fulfilling crafting needs.  :)
The zone would have its own stockpile(s) and dedicated workshops.
I imagine having the option to use resources thar are "inside the zone" only would be ideal. This way, you could toss a ton of low value stone or whatever materials in there and wouldn't have an issue with low skill dwarves using candy for creativity needs.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 04:57:31 pm »

And... You could create a zone exclusively for fulfilling crafting needs.  :)
The zone would have its own stockpile(s) and dedicated workshops.
I imagine having the option to use resources thar are "inside the zone" only would be ideal.
Make this "Idle / Training Workshop" the middle step between toys and actual production orders and you've got it. Watch children progress from beating their toy hammer against random objects, to working tin into various shapes on a mini-forge, to hammering out a crude bronze spearhead on a real forge, to finally working on the real thing.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 01:39:00 pm »

pre-stress indicators are what is required, not more uncontrollable chaos. IMHO. I dont not like the idea of semistrangemoods, however. But for upliftment, nonjustice stuff. Like a detail engraving, completely unique unto itself.

I woild rather see...

Knutor has been over come by irritable hair syndrome. Knutor suffers from immediate onset  beard and forearm bad hair.

At like +25,000 stress range. Where all I have to do is craft him a baldman comb, to raise his humors.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 05:48:11 am »

Maybe regular jobs should allow a dwarf that wants to craft to help a more experienced dwarf, thus filling his need for creativity and learning some in the process too. This might be limited to jobs that have a guild for it established or workshops that are build inside a guildhall, giving a little some control over what jobs can be trained.

The mood system may lay claim on materials you very much needed for something else. Having something similar just for regular needs can go out of hand quickly with a large fortress and some unfocussed dwarves.

I agree that a little more autonomy for filling crafting needs is very necessary. There might be other ways to go about it.

In adventure mode some jobs do not even need a workshop. Maybe dwarves could pick such jobs whenever they want. Bone carving for example. Although that might set up the economy and resource management again. Maybe it would require additional stockpile settings. Or maybe work somewhat similar as when travelling with companions, who occasionally decorate their items without using resources.

Perhaps dwarves could do a bit of creativity at home. Something like flower arrangement could help dwarves fill their needs while still giving you as an overseer an incentive to find more useful ways for them to spend their times.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 01:53:39 pm »

Dwarves are going to kill themselves in new creative ways if this happens. Attacking a goblin siege unarmed because they needed some excitement.. or simply to fulfill their heartfelt need to improve their flowing picking skill.

Which is why I support this idea 100%.  ;D