Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1569 1570 [1571]

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2269249 times)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #23550 on: April 02, 2024, 11:38:27 am »

The Steel Federation had been conducting a string of successful campaigns - a small Precursor fleet outpost was wiped out with only minimal losses; a nest of Rakhas was wiped out in ground combat; and a primitive alien race with over a billion members was pacified and brought under colonial rule.

The technology of energy shields had recently been improved to the point that it was deemed ready for installation on the warships of the fleet - no longer would they be tanking damage directly with their armored hulls; instead a regenerating 85-point shield would deflect all but the most severe blows.

Thus, when a new Precursor base was discovered at 40 Eridani, the fleet was dispatched to great fanfare. Who were these soulless machines, that would think to deny the supremacy of the Human race?

During the approach to the planet that the Precursors had claimed, higher-than-expected resistance was encountered. Dozens of missiles were being fired in five minute intervals. The fleet's point defense systems engaged, but the Precursor missiles were devilishly devious, operating at high speed with multiple decoys. Nuclear flames rippled over the fleet; but the new shields proved true, and armor damage was minimal.

The Precursor base was nearly within range of the fleets large-bore laser weapons when they changed tactics - instead of the dozens of large anti-ship missiles every couple of minutes; they instead opened up with hundreds of tiny missiles every five seconds. Although each of the diminutive warheads inflicted negligible damage, there were so many that they overwhelmed shields, then sandpapered the hulls of targeted ships, digging to the vital systems below. Within 30 seconds, three fleet warships had exploded. An order to retreat was given; but before they finally managed to escape out of the range of the deadly stream of fire, three more ships had been blown to pieces.

The remaining fleet limped back to Sol, where they would be repaired. The great shipyards sprang to life, laying down the hulls of a dozen new vessels. The fleet would be back, stronger and more technologically advanced.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23551 on: April 03, 2024, 11:11:00 am »

Died 4 times to the omega pirate in Metroid Prime: Remastered.  More times there than the rest of the game put together.

Spoiler: Rant again (click to show/hide)
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23552 on: April 03, 2024, 03:07:20 pm »

Thought I'd identified the only turret in the room so I ran into a safe spot, only to realise that safe spot carried a second turret. Tried backtracking, only to trigger the first turret and wound up in a crossfire.

Receiver 2
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23553 on: April 04, 2024, 11:12:21 am »

Died twice to the Metroid Prime.  I won't type up a long rant again, but I hope at least one other person in the world feels that the fight was needlessly long and tedious and that having to repeat the first phase was just a waste of time if you died.  10 minutes per attempt.  Not even a joke.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23554 on: April 06, 2024, 11:18:25 am »

God Providence down to 2000 health. Somewhere in the realm of 1/40th of his maximum HP.

Had he not landed a stun attack and then dropped about twenty of his target attacks on me, I'd have made it.

Risk of Rain
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23555 on: April 11, 2024, 11:22:29 pm »

Died to a failed quick time event to a giant flying robot snake thing.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23556 on: April 14, 2024, 08:26:13 am »

Damn near ran out of booze, and it kept showing that it could not find any of the resources it needed. Took me far too long to realize why; the brewery was crammed with random ingredients for the different orders that it could not hold any more and it could not make any single thing. Apparently, buildings will try to load up resources for every queued order, regardless of priority, availability, or storage space.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23557 on: April 17, 2024, 10:07:04 pm »

Laser blast of the undemocratic automaton scum.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23558 on: April 18, 2024, 03:28:24 pm »

The rollercoaster level.

Spoiler: To elaborate (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Rematched Lily to train up a change in my lineup because I learned the hard way that the leader of the Brotherhood of the Eternal Pyre doesn't use a Fire-type Pal. It's {Electric/Dragon}. Then again, Lyleen is a Grass-type in a frozen hellhole, so what is logic? Would have beat Lily if my Pals were actually attacking her as often as they should have. Or if her hitbox wasn't terrible causing about half the bullets I was shooting at her to visibly pass right through her body.

Also discovered after multiple deaths that Cold-Resistant Metal Armor(which has +2 cold resist/+1 heat resist) and Fire-Resistant Underwear provides just enough heat resistance to travel around the volcano region during the day, except I was still burning to death because I started flying on my Vanwyrm. Having a Fire-type Pal out increases your body heat a little. "A little" was enough to die of heatstroke before I could figure out why; instead I was flying away desperately on a fire lizard hoping to reach a cooler climate not realizing that was killing me.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 07:56:45 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 1569 1570 [1571]