Other Projects > Other Games

SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning

(1/146) > >>

Knave:
Did a scan and didn't see a thread, so thought I would do a quick post! Feels like it would check a lot of DF player boxes.

--- Quote ---"Shadow Empire is an immersive 4x game, putting players as leaders of small cities on random-generated planets, besieged by threats of all kind and forced to gather every imaginable natural resource in order to survive. Face the post-apocalypse, rebuild civilization and write your own destiny!"
--- End quote ---

Definitely has that mid-nineties feel. You start by generating your planet type including size, star type, rainfall, planetary age, atmosphere and then how badly it was blown up during the giant Galactic Republic civil war. One game you might be fighting over a barren, but mineral rich moon, and the next a poisonous jungle-world with 10 meter tall land squids.
You then have to work your city state up from Mad Max tech-level and rediscover all the old tech through conquest and Ruin-excavation. Next thing you know you have plasma guns, mechs and the occasional nuke.

Leans heavy on the wargame, so logistics and supply are king to keeping your army and people running smoothly. You also have to deal with your cabinet leaders who have a range of skills and stats from wizard to incompetent. The happier they are the more bonuses you will get, but if they're very unhappy they might try to rebel.

Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1154840/Shadow_Empire/
Matrix:https://www.matrixgames.com/game/shadow-empire

EDIT: And here's a {NEW!} link to SET-UP series by Dastactic w/ new aircraft. Very good for learning the game and a lot of the under-the-hood mechanics:
(HERE)

Trolldefender99:
I was thinking of making this, since the game looks amazing. Gives a Dune feel to it for me. But I didn't feel I'd do the game justice in the opening post so was hoping someone would make this thread for the game. Thanks :)

The cool part is you can even start on a Dune style desert planet. Though from reading, it doesn't seem water is needed except for farms. But the developer I believe plans to add water supply in the future in a free update. He also plans to add modding support down the line (though he isn't 100% on this). And naval/air stuff, but that is only depending how good the game sells. If the game sells poorly, don't think will be much developer support so I hope it does well. And if modding ever happens, there needs to be a Dune mod :P

forsaken1111:
Thanks for making this, I wasn't even aware of the game. Picking it up now. Will post my thoughts

Dostoevsky:
Thanks from me as well for sharing. A more 4X-like grognard wargame is something I've always been hoping for. Time-limited panzer generals and the like really get my goat for some reason (I know turn limits are realistic, just not my cup of tea for gaming).

Do you know what the victory conditions or diplomatic options are, by chance? Conquest-only would make sense, I suppose, but having more options would be lovely.

ChairmanPoo:
At a glance reminds me of Emperor of the Fading suns... which if well implemented is a GOOD thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version