Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 49

Author Topic: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning  (Read 76461 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: SHADOW EMPIRE: Sci-fi 4x wargame on a procedurally generated world
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2020, 02:36:38 pm »

very interesting. I always loved the depth of wargames and always hated how they presented you a strategic setup you had no hands in making and just forces you to deal with it.

is there a whole genre of these or is this more of a unique thing?

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2020, 02:47:16 pm »

Here are two Youtube channels that I watched before buying the game.

This one is more like a let's play than a tutorial, but he does show how some things are in the grand scheme of gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrtwDgj_Px8&list=PL8cNlze3fGQgYVDLiqxvpMnlWo3-lEkR7

and two playlists from Dastactic

A let's play as well, though some of it goes in-depth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aN3NcybwiY&list=PLGB6RkFB7ZmMFY1EnIhYPDW3nv0oBvgzg

and dastactic again, with actual indepth tutorial videos without the let's play stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BivVweJ5-iA&list=PLGB6RkFB7ZmPoXDAaR8FbM3xujwMsDgEv

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2020, 03:43:13 pm »

Liking it so far, my only real qualm so far has been, well, that I did the "crackdown on crime" strategem and lost an entire regiment.

3600 troops to kill 19 syndicate cells? What the hell kinda criminals are these guys? At least the syndicate is dead, but, holy crap that was 3600 recruits gone in a blink.  :-[
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2020, 04:15:40 pm »

For those who recall the game "People's Tactics", this game is like it's Sci-Fi older brother.  Its the same guy.
It's an awesome strategic command system, but don't expect the AI to just roll over.  Frankly, the AI is better able to handle the complexity than you are, at least initially.

...now if I can just get a ruler with a monocle, all will be right with the world.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2020, 04:33:06 pm »

Haven't gotten far enough to see if diplomacy among major powers is fleshed out, but allied victory is an option. Diplomacy with minor powers is relatively sparse, unfortunately. Thankfully, that's offset by internal dynamics.

Pretty sparse, or at least, it requires you to be lucky enough to have a major willing to engage in diplomacy. For a lot of the cards like trade agreement or non-aggression pact I had 900+ difficulties. And once you get into a war with a Major, it seems pretty impossible to make peace, since you need 35+ relations to play Propose Peace, but you're at war- which lowers relations to zero...

Though I've had a lot of fun granting minors my protection which instantly annexes them once they're invaded. The AI seems not that great at actually following up their war declarations with troops on the ground as well.

I've been having a blast with the game in general.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2020, 09:11:58 pm »

The long Dastactics Tips & Tricks series took about 5.5 videos to break me and get me to pick this up. I'm still installing, but it appears to scratch a lot of the sorts of itches I've had regarding the kind of micromanaging I want in an emperor game instead of the kind that micro-heavy games tend to go for.

acidia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2020, 10:09:50 pm »

This is the 2nd game that I've ever bought of release day, really looking forward to sinking some hours in.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2020, 10:24:12 pm »

very interesting. I always loved the depth of wargames and always hated how they presented you a strategic setup you had no hands in making and just forces you to deal with it.

Anything from the same dev has been really open for scenarios/setting.

People's tactics is free and the earliest of his tactics series I've played.  Has a large amount of fairly unique scenarios.  Cops Vs. Robbers, zombie out break, two fighting banana republics are some that I remember.

Advance Tactics is built to represent WW1 to near modern (roughly ie. you upgrade unit types with research so you start with Rifle I which is outclassed by Rifle VI and so on) but with random maps and the ability to use real world cultures to flavor nations and locations.  You can then set different cultures to "like" each other more or less by setting a production modifier if they are occupied by enemy/friendly cultured nations.

Edit: Also grabbed this earlier.  $30 after the discount and steam key in future, I'm in.

Edit Edit: The game miss-spelled Carp.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've now spent probably an hour generating worlds.  Do I go Siwa with carbon-oxygen giant squid or go Medusa with it's fluoride/hydrogen-peroxide/other !!FUN!! biologies.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 11:01:39 pm by Shooer »

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2020, 11:15:48 pm »

Anything from the same dev has been really open for scenarios/setting.

People's tactics is free and the earliest of his tactics series I've played.  Has a large amount of fairly unique scenarios.  Cops Vs. Robbers, zombie out break, two fighting banana republics are some that I remember.

Advance Tactics is built to represent WW1 to near modern (roughly ie. you upgrade unit types with research so you start with Rifle I which is outclassed by Rifle VI and so on) but with random maps and the ability to use real world cultures to flavor nations and locations.  You can then set different cultures to "like" each other more or less by setting a production modifier if they are occupied by enemy/friendly cultured nations.

Edit: Also grabbed this earlier.  $30 after the discount and steam key in future, I'm in.

Edit Edit: The game miss-spelled Carp.
I've now spent probably an hour generating worlds.  Do I go Siwa with carbon-oxygen giant squid or go Medusa with it's fluoride/hydrogen-peroxide/other !!FUN!! biologies.

Personally been doing the desert planet, cause...wellllll...Dune :P

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2020, 12:00:09 am »

I think I went unclassified (i.e. fully random) planet, tinkering with the generation until I got something fairly Siwa-like but with more water. Only after starting up did I realize the low natural vegetation levels meant open-air farming was off-limits. And the predators are certainly something... the smaller ones aren't too much trouble, but there are packs of 7-meter megacrustaceans that need either lots of bodies or serious armored firepower to take down. On the positive side, a 212 million pre-apocalypse population means plenty of ruins to sift through (and artifacts to find).

Can take a bit of time to get used to the fact that despite having exploration like a 4x, using the logistics of a wargame means you can't just send an explorer across the world.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2020, 01:26:42 am »

At a glance reminds me of Emperor of the Fading suns... which if well implemented is a GOOD thing.

no space, just a planet, but also got that feel. Matrix doesnt give refunds even if game doesnt function on your system. so id wait for steam release though.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

ivanovic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2020, 06:44:05 am »

I usually suck at this kind of game, but for some reason this one really excites me. I like the sound of the setting a lot more than the usual historical (where I feel like I ought to be doing whatever really happened back then) or galaxy-spanning kinds (I just don't find watching/running an empire on that scale engaging).   

That's exactly my case... I can't fully enjoy games like Civilization because the real world empire and city names randomly placed on the map break the immersion for me (that's why I prefer mods that provide a fantasy setting like Fall from Heaven 2 for Civ IV or Faerun for Civ 5). And I don't fully enjoy games like Stellaris because for some reason I can't fully savor the sense of power in a galaxy-spanning empire.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 07:00:44 am by ivanovic »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2020, 07:21:27 am »

I usually suck at this kind of game, but for some reason this one really excites me. I like the sound of the setting a lot more than the usual historical (where I feel like I ought to be doing whatever really happened back then) or galaxy-spanning kinds (I just don't find watching/running an empire on that scale engaging).   

That's exactly my case... I can't fully enjoy games like Civilization because the real world empire and city names randomly placed on the map break the immersion for me (that's why I prefer mods that provide a fantasy setting like Fall from Heaven 2 for Civ IV or Faerun for Civ 5).
Same here. Glad to hear I'm not a freak about this.  :P

And I don't fully enjoy games like Stellaris because for some reason I can't fully savor the sense of power in a galaxy-spanning empire.

I do get a kick out of Stellaris. But TBH I liked CK2 better. Even more so if modded, and even more so in random maps.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2020, 08:12:30 am »

For anyone interested The dev has been releasing beta patches (save game compatible) here: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4824133

fixing CTDs and updating balance already. Expect an official patch to probably land within a week through the actual installer.

Changelogs

EDIT: Getting reports that the 20% off wargamer coupon is no longer valid "Order creation failure due to problematic input.. Coupon has exceeded maximum use limit ."
Maybe it was getting more use than they thought it would!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 08:30:51 am by Knave »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2020, 09:54:16 am »

Pretty sure the planet generator is actively hostile.  I managed to generate a planet with alien life that was actually edible ("reduced nutritional value", which is pretty good considering), and then in the Descent stage a Solar Flare just irradiates the whole planet.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 49