Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 49

Author Topic: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning  (Read 76654 times)

nautilu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SHADOW EMPIRE: Sci-fi 4x wargame on a procedurally generated world
« Reply #270 on: June 24, 2020, 07:12:20 am »

Odds are unreliable. I have won on 1:1 odds when they are surrounded, I have arty and they dont, or some other hard hitting unit. I guess it makes sense that a city is heavily fortified. I should of taken their peace offer. I love the AI in this game. It makes logical decisions. I was afraid that the majors would just steamroll me when they found me. If Im bigger then they try to make peace.

I had a game yesterday where I made peace and inherited every minor except arachs and AI. So I got slavers, raiders and farmers. Its super annoying that minors dont need resources because my armies increased by 6 times but my food didnt. Desert worlds seam easiest. If you get the right neighbors you can win.
I played an earth world and was wrecked by farmers. I didnt know they would take half my territory and towns. Never happened before. Also, when the slavers got me down to a single hex, my economy was doing fine.

I wish the advanced tech start didnt give you bigger territory. Its hard to defend.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 24, 2020, 07:45:49 am »

Unless you have 400/400 Recon on the hex the odds are 100% a guess.

It's pretty fine at 200, good at 100.  It's representing that you don't know what's there and have to guess.  I'm wary of attacking below 100 recon, had 1 to many surprises.

Add to that with low recon you don't know their readiness or entrenchment.  Those two have a HUGE factor in battle.
Had 30 Recon on a tile, said 1.2 to 1 chance, got it to 46, said 1.3, got it to 130 when the recon buggies drove by and changed to 12 to 1 since I now had an idea of what was there.

I've destroyed armies that out numbered mine by just shoving them onto the back foot with artillery and never relenting with the attacks for several turns.  Eventually I could send in 50 light tanks and watch them run over hundreds of infantry and routing the remaining thousands.  Cutting them off from supply also helped.  Of course cutting supply doesn't help fight minors.

Also the odds aren't the rolls you are going to get, just a guess.  The battle is still a bunch of dice rolls, and even at a 99/100 chance, that 1 can still be rolled.

nautilu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 24, 2020, 12:16:46 pm »

All in all its a great game. The developer said he had to take some short cuts on some things but its still unique. He's still working on adding things. I would willingly pay for an expansion pack or a part 2. More options, an air force and a navy would be great. It already does army combat better than anything else Ive ever played in 20 years.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 24, 2020, 01:00:39 pm »

Agreed, generally speaking. Not perfect by any means, but it's the first completed attempt in a long while (I'm aware of, at least) to combine fully-fledged 4X and wargame genres in a randomized map to boot. It's nice to have the time limits for campaigns be organic from the 4x context instead of a semi-arbitrary turnclock; I get the point of them, but they've always turned me off from most of the classic wargames.

Taking a look at the recent set of beta patchnotes it looks like the dev might be making some significant changes to logistics. They're not final yet (and are currently in a fair amount of back-and-forth on the Matrix forums), but a combination of nerfing roads/trucks (a lot), trains (a fair bit), and causing degradation of points over the course of multiple branches from a 'root' line. The dev is also debating making road costs matter more (i.e. at all) for AI to reduce spaghetti roads in major AI territory.

Oh, and there's a tool to remove roads, which will definitely help in dealing with major AI territory once it's taken over.

A side/intended effect of these logistics changes are to cut down significantly on turn times as logistics calculations become less drawn out.

On the whole not sure how I feel about the proposed branch change, but otherwise I think it's a decent move.

nautilu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 24, 2020, 04:07:47 pm »

It def needs a lot of polish. Maybe the dev should make free towns produce their own logistics points that get added to a connected road line, just like in Supreme Ruler.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 29, 2020, 10:47:12 am »

Update appears to allow significantly larger pre-Dissolution populations. E.g., I rolled a 3.1b (okay, not THAT huge) pop on a planet that had been settled for 2100y (!!!).

Sidenote: finally got another world with raider cavalry, but the weird thing was that these biped riders were on a Limos-class world with (obviously) no native life...

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes seems like they've released the beta updates into the 1.04 branch

You can download the update by either clicking the Check for Update button on the launcher or downloading it from your My Page (https://www.matrixgames.com/member/downloads/shadow-empire)

Changes:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Those Raider calvary must be non-nnative! Brought to the planet like the arachnids

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, eager to see how the logistics changes destroy my empire when I load the save.

EDIT: actually only seeing a minor decrease in throughput in the more distant cities.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 11:59:01 am by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Playing on a new world whose logistics network has yet to be developed, I really feel the logistics changes.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Can somebody explain the logistics changes?  While everyone complained about the old logistics system, at least I could reasonably understand it.  I'm afraid these "changes" have broken that.

Also, I've been watching a lot of Star Trek and Stargate SG-1 lately.  Wow, they really lucked out, compared to the worlds usually generated on Shadow Empire.  Basically take the number of worlds where the intrepid landing party had to wear environmental suits compared to the total and invert the percentage to get your Shadow Empire world percentage...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

I think it's mostly just shorter ranges for trucks (and trains?), and that thing with intersections causing extra drop in logistic points. So I guess just build your logistic network more densely and clean up any unnecessary road gore.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile

Can somebody explain the logistics changes?  While everyone complained about the old logistics system, at least I could reasonably understand it.  I'm afraid these "changes" have broken that.

Also, I've been watching a lot of Star Trek and Stargate SG-1 lately.  Wow, they really lucked out, compared to the worlds usually generated on Shadow Empire.  Basically take the number of worlds where the intrepid landing party had to wear environmental suits compared to the total and invert the percentage to get your Shadow Empire world percentage...
To some extent it seems like the Shadow Empire people just care less about their new homes not being horrible.
Like if they find a world with no significant useful natural resources, no native life AND a toxic atmosphere they just plop down cities and go "Whelp, guess we can turn this entire planet into a giant paperwork factory".

Whereas in star trek or star wars or (presumably) SG-1 they just uh... leave that barren hellscape alone and go colonize other places that have actual value?
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, that's sort of my problem with this game - outside pressing emergencies, I can't see humans bothering to colonize 90%+ of the uninhabitable hellholes that the game generates. The worlds with significant natural resources I could see them plopping down remote mining centers, but there would be no significant human presence because the planet is so inimical to life.

Basically I was expecting more Mars/Titan barren worlds where technologically advanced survival is possible, and less Venus/Mercury with bonus murderous alien swarms.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile

There might be military or political reasons to colonize worlds that would be useless otherwise. Alternatively, maybe they were in the process of being terraformed or something. Still, it would be nice to get a reason for the colonization in the planet generator.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We're introducing some bias here - we get to pick what hellholes get generated, and TBH barren planets with little or no atmosphere aren't terribly interesting. In principle, I'd assume most of the Galactic Republic was Limos, etc. and the reason we see 3b people crammed into domes under sulfuric acid rain while 23m tetrapods rampage through the surrounding toxic jungle... is because we kept rolling new worlds until we got that abomination.

I'd add, though, that Liquid Energy seemed a bit nebulous in the fluff (though perhaps I've just forgotten what sort of phlebotinum it is), so perhaps all these vicious hellscapes formerly produced the junk before everyone forgot how to make it.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 49