Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 49

Author Topic: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning  (Read 76483 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: SHADOW EMPIRE: Sci-fi 4x wargame on a procedurally generated world
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2020, 10:35:53 am »

as a welcome

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2020, 11:21:32 am »

As clarification about the included manual, the game actually comes with two (three technically) manuals.  One in the main install folder, and an E-Book and printable manual in the Manual folder.  The E-Book is 349 pages.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2020, 11:30:13 am »

Had a pretty nice nearly perfect habitable world.  Only problem was that of the 800,000 people still alive 23% were scavengers and 77% were raiders.  No farmers.  Got over run early on by being flanked by thousands of dino calvary.  Also got set in the heart of the tropic zone, average winter lows of 45c, so no open farming.

Also a religious cult nuked all of their neighbors close to the start so 1/3 of the world was irradiated.

I love this game.

Saw Dastactic genned a world were you couldn't grow normal crops, but you could grow local moss/slime in the clay fields for food.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2020, 11:45:54 am »

Just picked this up! Can't wait for Mr Bones Wild Ride
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2020, 01:03:06 pm »

This game sounds really cool, sadly it's not on steam yet, so I'm gonna have to wait a bit to get it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2020, 06:29:55 pm »

This game sounds really cool, sadly it's not on steam yet, so I'm gonna have to wait a bit to get it.
You could just buy it and install it, and then run it via steam. I do that for a lot of my non-steam games.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2020, 06:49:34 pm »

The lava planet cerberus can have algae, moss, grass and (primitive) lifeforms. Mine generated grass and moss, and had a primitive herbivore. The way I generated it was largest size, low 40 temp (did 43 degrees, lowest I've seen generation go is 40 which is better) and also (probably) needs to be 1+ billion year old planet. Older planets tend to have better life. Gravity was around 1 but forgot exactly the number. And then get...life on a magma world...no idea how, but it looks cool

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2020, 08:28:23 pm »

I feel kinda guilty whenever I eat food in front of my computer with this game up.  I mean, the worst food that you've ever eaten would be considered a luxury good reserved for the rich on most of the generated worlds...

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2020, 09:30:14 pm »

Nothing like slavers who get so mad that you don't want to buy their slaves that they decide to attack you.

Their army definitely outnumber me.  Worse it was made of as many bikes as troops, and way too many irregular buggies and tanks.  Also they were attacking out of a desert.  So Mad Max slavers.

The thing that won the war against them was the large mountain ranges that litter the map.  Specifically the range known as The Death Alps.  Just held them in the pass and flattened them with artillery.

Now to pay the cost of getting more/better roads across these mountains.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2020, 10:00:29 pm »

Anyone have any starting out tips?

Making money seems the hardest part, although I'm not sure how important that actually is. Also how important is radiation and how do I approach/deal with it other than with the anti-rad buildings?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2020, 10:36:26 pm »

The flow of money seems a bit tricky to get a handle on (which, based on what I've seen in my time doing government-related work is quite accurate). There isn't anything quite so clear or simple as 'digging a gold mine' like in civ, though selling resources to the traders can help a lot at times. I try to prioritize getting a metal mining operation early on as, in addition to the values of having metal, a good mining operation yields far more metal than one can quickly process. Selling early surplus to traders can help plug gaps.

Long-term, though, you just need to get a private economy growing. As time passes your folks will start to fill that out, but you have the option (via talking to the zone governor) of stimulating investment. Costs credits to make credits and all that. I think raising one's economics profile (as opposed to enforcement/government) also raises private investment. There are also strategic cards (I assume associated with the economics profile) that will bring forth new private facilities.

As to radiation, I haven't had to deal with it yet so can't comment.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2020, 12:35:12 am »

When I steered hard into Commerce-Democracy, money wasn't an issue, although the free credits from all my neighbors wanting to be my friends (they were republics) helped.  I also spammed each and every private investment stratagem I found, and avoided nationalizing anything.

Radiation can be ignored up to a point.  It takes 400 rads to penetrate envirosuits and buildings, from what I can tell.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2020, 05:56:17 am »

Quick question: if you buy an edition with the boxed game, you get a digital copy right away, right?
Just wanted to make sure, since there's no telling when the physical edition will actually get here. Their website is... kinda not the most helpful.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2020, 07:21:31 am »

Hey, I recognize that planet!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2020, 08:10:15 am »

Quick question: if you buy an edition with the boxed game, you get a digital copy right away, right?
Just wanted to make sure, since there's no telling when the physical edition will actually get here. Their website is... kinda not the most helpful.   

My understanding is that if you buy the physical box you get digital download as well :)

PHYSICAL SHIPMENT
When you select this option you can use our digital download option to get the game right away and start playing. Then have a boxed copy of the game shipped to you as a backup for permanent storage. With a backup, you'll be prepared for whatever comes your way-whether it's a system crash, a computer virus damaging your files or the software simply no longer functioning as it should. You will be billed to have the game shipped in a printed DVD box with a printed DVD and your serial number.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 49