Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 49

Author Topic: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning  (Read 74786 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

The thing is, these are peaceful diplomatic takeovers rather than hostile conquest, so you shouldn't have just killed off the logistics network, you should have taken it over. Their former ruler just became your new governor, after all, so it's not like it's a full-blown regime change; it's a re-alignment.

Sorry, I had thought it was via conquest.  Either "militia takes care of its own supplies" and "get a few turns (5-6?) to fix this" would make sense.

As I'm recalling that militia are generally weaker than regular army, exempting them from supply might not be so horrible of an idea.  They're not going to suddenly become able to unite the planet.  They take care of everything other than logistics all on their own, so this wouldn't be too out of line with their current situation.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well... they're weaker than regular armies to varying degrees. In my current game, while the oldest units are still running around with improvised autorifles and envirosuits, their newest regiments have medium tanks and combat armor. Slower tech development will lead to a much smaller lag between regulars and newly raised militias even though it's still 30 turns either way.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

...along with my cheapness on outfitting regular forces.  I don't need better tanks, I just need more of them!

nautilu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is fun somewhere to be found in this game if its polished up some more. The funny thing is that the dev could drastically change the TYPE of game it is very easily. Im not exactly sure what it is yet. The more it goes towards Emperor of the Fading Suns, the more I like it. But in that game you could capture actual supply UNITS. Then not only capture them, but have to get them back to your base before the enemy recaptured them. There needs to be more capture points than just the cities. Ive had too many wars where neither of us could push into each others lands.

I hope the dev knows about similar games from the past. Im not subscribed to their forum, yet.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile

When and why do you build new SHQ's? I still haven't made a new one.

I wish the game had rivers and river/naval logistics. That is what even the ancient romans did, after all, even if naval forces would still be out. Water is great for transporting large amounts of supplies.

If we ever get naval and aerial forces, I hope the planet specs affect them. In dense enough atmosphere, say a desert planet with lots of sand in the air, maybe we will get ornithopters...

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The game explicitly warns you to generally avoid making additional SHQs. I think the only situations where it would make sense are when one has either a very distant territory, or when one has non-contiguous (e.g. cut off) territory.

Agree on the all the rest. While the dev is interested in bringing in additional features, in the near term I believe they're focusing on having a good Steam release. That means more accessibility and the like instead of new features, I think.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All goods produced by your zones have to be transported to the SHQ. When that puts too much of a strain on your logistics  it's time to decentralize your empire a bit and make a second SHQ. It's very costly to, for example, transport thousands of food half-way across the planet and then back again to feed your units.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Woo-hoo, something I whined about is fixed in the latest beta!

-Rare case, but still: Xeno- Farming with plants with non Water solvent will not require water to farm now.
-Also fixed Alien Plants ideal temperatures calculation if using a different solvent than water.

This feels noteworthy since it outright changes how some things functions on very different types of planets.

Also another thing I haven't had a chance to look at yet that seems interesting, albeit vague:

-Big one. Added History Classes to Planet Generation to allow players some variants to regular Planet Generation. Many options to explore here.

[Edit:
Spoiler: Ooooooooooooh...:D (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 12:21:40 pm by E. Albright »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Yeah, but instead of sandworms on Dune I'm getting forests and jungles.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, that was a common complaint, though Vic suggested plantlessness *should* be possible. Haven't tried it myself yet though.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Does anyone have a getting started guide?  I drown inmenus in this game and I'm not sure as to what I have to do
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And here's a link to the Tips & Tricks series by Dastactic. Very good for learning the game and a lot of the under-the-hood mechanics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BivVweJ5-iA&list=PLGB6RkFB7ZmPoXDAaR8FbM3xujwMsDgEv

This stuff was posted for version 1 of the game, but it shoulstill be mainly relevant for learning purposes!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Has anyone ever started with the Shadow cult or the Apocrypha? I never have, but am not sure if it's hardcoded to be so, or just a product of me not picking the right starting government stats.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm. Shadow maybe? Not 100% sure on that, though. I've definitely gotten them by the time I've conquered my first neighbor, but unfortunately sometimes the cult doesn't really feel like it's there until turn 5 or 10 so it's hard to remember if I started with them or not.

Is your cult based on the 3 culture questions at the start? I tend to answer those pretty similarly every time, so it wouldn't surprise me if that was why I seem to get the same cults every time...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

argh, anything text based? I hate youtube guides
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 49