Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 49

Author Topic: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning  (Read 76653 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had a terrible realization last night: I think what I like most about this game is the logistics - not even the field logistics, but the organizational logistics. The sheer satisfaction I felt when I upgraded the last straggling companies fighting with generation 1 padded envirosuit designs to shiny new [well, newest - the wheels of the supply chain turn slowly and the design was several years old before it was finally fully adopted] generation 4 heavy combat armor designs is not something anyone outside of active duty military quartermasters should ever feel. That satisfaction was probably more sincere than any I've felt from combat or campaign victories in this game either. Siiiiiiiiiiigh...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 12:47:18 pm by E. Albright »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Speaking of logistics, does anyone else get these weird 1 hex-long bottlenecks right next to your SHQ?
e.g.:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As you can see there are thousands leftover log pts on each of the three roads, but the very first connection to the city, going each way, is completely used up. Supplies seem to be mostly getting where they're needed, but I haven't been able to replace losses for a long time now.
I thought I could fix this by building additional truck stations on the hexes next to the city, but they're not sending any truck points towards the SHQ - only away from it (assuming that would be of any help). So e.g. the truck station south of the city sends all of its log pts southwards.

Anyone knows what's causing it or how to fix it?
I'm playing the latest beta patch, or the one before it, btw. Meaning, the pull point system is in (although I seem to remember the same thing happening in pre-pull versions as well).

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I think that's just what happens when the SHQ is the ultimate destination of every single item in your empire. I solved that mostly by upgrading the logistics stations inside the city itself. I think the truck stations in the adjacent hexes do help, they just aren't efficient at putting their point in the problem area, and also low level so they don't have enough capacity to satisfy the deficit. If your empire is very large you might also consider making a second SHQ to gather resources at, or shutting down distant farms if you already have a surplus.

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The latest beta introduced a change which dramatically alters how log points work: when log points radiating from one source meet those from another source, both stop radiating. E.g. [log source]->10->9->8->7->...->1 meeting [log source]->1000->999->...->991 on a road would in theory mean half the road would have single-digit log points. So when you build a truck station right next to another truck station, half the points immediately die - and if you have a city truck station entirely surrounded by first-hex-on-the-road suburban truck stations, the city station will literally do nothing. I quite hopefully tried the outlying station method, too, and things worked better (admittedly still not well) after I axed the suburban stations again.

I like pull points in principle, and sometimes they seem to work well, but the current system is evolving, poorly documented, and frequently feels like a spilled plate of spaghetti. The fact that logistic point spread separate from pull points is being tweaked and overhauled simultaneously to pull point development makes it unfathomable at times.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 10:33:53 am by E. Albright »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I haven't been playing the betas but the latest changes seem like they'd have a huge impact. At least the "soldiers try to supply closer downstream" should help with the drain on the SHQ hex logisitcs, at least in theory.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The latest beta introduced a change which dramatically alters how log points work: when log points radiating from one source meet those from another source, both stop radiating. E.g. [log source]->10->9->8->7->...->1 meeting [log source]->1000->999->...->991 on a road would in theory mean half the road would have single-digit log points. So when you build a truck station right next to another truck station, half the points immediately die - and if you have a city truck station entirely surrounded by first-hex-on-the-road suburban truck stations, the city station will literally do nothing. I quite hopefully tried the outlying station method, too, and things worked better (admittedly still not well) after I axed the suburban stations again.
This can't be right. Looking at the traffic log, the logistics points leave the city just fine, together with a plethora of those coming from further away. It's just those directly neighbouring stations that don't send their output towards the city.

Anyway, I still don't get what drains all those points between the city and the neighbouring hexes, while leaving them on the remainder of the road.

I've now built rail (the one on the pic is inactive), and it does the same thing. About 1000 pts is put on most of the railway, but all is drained by something (what??) right next to the city and only there.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This can't be right. Looking at the traffic log, the logistics points leave the city just fine, together with a plethora of those coming from further away. It's just those directly neighbouring stations that don't send their output towards the city.

Hmm. I'm slightly more awake than when I posted my prior comment, and thinking about how neighbor-stations worked it does seem like my prior explanation doesn't even explain what my own experience was. Is the "canceling out when it hits a runner" change killing the weaker spread, so log points from a subsidiary hex station won't go to the monster SHQ station hex, but the stronger log source will continue to push past the little one? This may require more experimenting, although I wish it didn't. It's getting messier and messier...

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've gotten something like your road bottleneck issues, and found the way to get around it seemed to be building additional roads then fiddling with the traffic signs to exclusively use the new road. This was a somewhat older version, though, as it's been a bit since I played (got sucked back into Total Warhammer 2).

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm. I'm slightly more awake than when I posted my prior comment, and thinking about how neighbor-stations worked it does seem like my prior explanation doesn't even explain what my own experience was. Is the "canceling out when it hits a runner" change killing the weaker spread, so log points from a subsidiary hex station won't go to the monster SHQ station hex, but the stronger log source will continue to push past the little one? This may require more experimenting, although I wish it didn't. It's getting messier and messier...
FWIW I did update the game a couple times while it was already underway, so maybe newly built truck stations are using the new ruleset while the older ones aren't?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd try to experiment to figure out what exactly is going on, but my ongoing game has CTD more or less irredeemably (rolling back a few turns still ends up with an eventual CTD). Getting rid of next-to-city stations seemed to help, but it still seemed worse than it should, and how logistic points do and don't branch makes no sense in certain cases (and why those are the cases where they don't also makes no sense).

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Cancel Runners log change has been reworked as refocus runners in the new beta, and it seems less awful (though still annoying. It also seems to have fixed the silent CTD I had, so I can resume that messy game rather than starting a new one. :)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Am I the only one that finds it strange HILARIOUS that in response to heavy player criticism of the hard Logistics system that was clearly laid out and explained, the game now has a Logistics system that is confusing, buggy, and still isn't easy?

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile

Honestly, I don't care if the details of the logistics are arcane. Only things I really need to know is why something is fucked and how I can fix it. Plus how I can fuck the logistics of the enemy, if so inclined.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Am I the only one that finds it strange HILARIOUS that in response to heavy player criticism of the hard Logistics system that was clearly laid out and explained, the game now has a Logistics system that is confusing, buggy, and still isn't easy?

In fairness, they're trying to make it easier (but also to cut down on processing times). So there's an effort (but there's simultaneously an effort that has some unclear tradeoffs with the other effort). Documentation REALLY needs worked on, though - it's totally obscure and vague now...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Well, they probably need to actually finalize the logistics system and move on to something else before the logistics system can be properly documented.  Hard to pin down a moving target and all that.

I have enjoyed the efforts to reduce processing time.  Those turns in the early days were LONG.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 49