Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 49

Author Topic: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning  (Read 74811 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SHADOW EMPIRE: Sci-fi 4x wargame: Mind the Donkeys - Steam Release!
« Reply #465 on: February 20, 2021, 01:58:33 pm »

AFAIK, no. Given how logistics works the idea terrifies me.

Re: my morpher problem, it's not quite turn 20 so I'm not sure I can make light aircraft bombers that can reliably deliver 500 firepower of precision bombs. On the plus side, my xeno-diplomats managed to get a rough grasp of xenospeak/gestures so we could make peace with the reptiloids - now all we have to worry about are the wild morphers, various 11m metallic big cat analogues, and some amphibian-looking hellbeasts coming at us from two sides. OTOH, our xenoliguistics has advanced enough that maybe we can convince the xenos to give us some mercs, and maybe those mercs will include some morphers of our own and not just lizard tribesfolk, hehehe...

[Edit: To answer my own ponderings - I can make a range-6 bomber that has enough firepower to hopefully punch through morpher absorption - and yes, sacrificing 12 relation points was enough to get the reptiloids to send me 1500 lizardmen with 500 domesticated morphers as support...]
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 02:24:06 pm by E. Albright »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 20, 2021, 05:00:17 pm »

Hey did they happen to add the ability to destroy roads and rails by any chance???

You can destroy roads and rail in territory that you control.  I don't think you can destroy road/rail in enemy territory, which makes sense because you'd basically be hurting your own advance far more than the enemy's reinforcements.

Nice, they implemented Xenos that can talk!

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 21, 2021, 12:05:55 pm »

What qualifies as enemy territory though? I thought friendly territory was anywhere your troops are.

Is there a certain amount of time you need to hold it? Destroying roads could act as a sort of scorched earth tactic to delay a superior enemy while you reinforce
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 21, 2021, 06:16:03 pm »

Nothing few bombers cannot manage  :D And if they fail to communicate just tell them to release the bombs and get back for another round  ;D 

Just be glad they are not entangler III  8)

IDK, these seem meek compared to those wretched Morphers.

Entangler makes things harder to kill on the ground, but to get rid of Morphers I've been dumping 1-2k of ammo from 18 bombers in order to kill 1-4 Morphers per attack. And they come in stacks of 10-20, and there's A LOT of them, with various metallic energy cats, landsharks, and other abominations protecting their flanks. If I'd started next to a major or more than one hostile minor regime (with the one I did have to fight being an AI, whose sentinels didn't fair much better against morphers than I did once the reptiloids gave me a stack or two of my own), I think I'd've been eaten by this jungle hellscape.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame: Steam Release!
« Reply #469 on: February 23, 2021, 03:12:01 am »

Just in case anyone finds themself fighting something like those morphers in a future game: I found that the best way to kill them was not bombers (which was more-or-less working, but was very slow and expensive), but instead a regiment of anti-tank guns plus enough surrounding blockers to keep them safe and make routs fatal.

Also, an unstated advantage of even the scruffiest alien militia unit over human troops is that the aliens live off the land and need no supplies or logistic connections, which ofc is lovely for scouting.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 25, 2021, 12:25:22 am »

What qualifies as enemy territory though? I thought friendly territory was anywhere your troops are.

Is there a certain amount of time you need to hold it? Destroying roads could act as a sort of scorched earth tactic to delay a superior enemy while you reinforce

Enemy territory is territory you didn't hold at the start of your turn. As long as you start your turn holding it - and can draw a line from your logistic network to it through friendly territory - you can raze it. If you can't reach from your road to it at the start of your turn, demolition is impossible. The only exception to this is if you annex/unify with a minor power during your turn - at that point you can build/destroy into that territory, but you can't start a build/destroy path from within it. There's also an upper limit on how far you can stretch a build/destroy path from existing road to your target hex, but it's a pretty long distance.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 25, 2021, 08:22:47 am »

Hey did they happen to add the ability to destroy roads and rails by any chance???

You can destroy roads and rail in territory that you control.  I don't think you can destroy road/rail in enemy territory, which makes sense because you'd basically be hurting your own advance far more than the enemy's reinforcements.

Thats good, when I was playing a lot I played defensively so I'm happy there is an option to remove roads that (for example) go over a mountain range if I can capture them.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 25, 2021, 09:56:20 pm »

Thats good, when I was playing a lot I played defensively so I'm happy there is an option to remove roads that (for example) go over a mountain range if I can capture them.

If you destroy a road that goes over a mountain range, you'll probably never get enough spare resources to rebuild it, and the enemy can build roads wherever it wants either without paying the extra cost or for free.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 26, 2021, 01:48:20 am »

...IDK about that - I tend to hit a point after 50-60 turns where metal is a far scarcer resource than IP. Right now in my current game I'm... turn 80? Ish? ...and I think I've got ~30-40k IP banked...

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 26, 2021, 08:32:51 pm »

If you destroy a road that goes over a mountain range, you'll probably never get enough spare resources to rebuild it, and the enemy can build roads wherever it wants either without paying the extra cost or for free.

With the most recent release, the AI is supposed to respect mountains a bit more with regard to road building. I haven't gotten to really see what it's like myself.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 26, 2021, 10:41:41 pm »

Wow, it's like all the EFS players are into this game.  Makes sense really.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 28, 2021, 01:58:11 pm »

EFS? (As a person who very much likes this I'm curious what potentially-similar things are out there.)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 28, 2021, 05:16:26 pm »

Emperor of the Fading Suns has an excellent and unique atmosphere, but many game mechanics are..well.. lacking. Too much micro for my taste. I kind of wish someone would make a modern remake, though.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 49