Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 49

Author Topic: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning  (Read 76498 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning
« Reply #615 on: September 22, 2022, 03:59:16 pm »

So given how they managed to kill me off, I decided

deserved to be immortalized by an art AI. I probably could have done better given more time, but here's a quick effort:

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: September 22, 2022, 04:18:24 pm »

Say, E.A. If you want to set up the MP game, go ahead. I just might be a bit slower on doing my turns for a while.
Or, maybe just the thread for now - I'm not sure how many players we've got yet.

If you'd rather have me do it, that'll have to wait until the weekend or thereabouts.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: September 22, 2022, 05:00:40 pm »

Done. It appears that 4 players is the limit, so we're halfway full already.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 22, 2022, 09:54:52 pm »

The most reliable way was to pick Medusa class and look for the long evolution length, but even then getting kaiju was quite rare. While the first reddit post there mentions air density, they couldn't find a strong correlation

Given the difference b/tw 0.6-0.8g with 350mbar planets (mostly 7-15m, with 40m as a wild outlier) and 0.5g with 660mbar (mostly 20-40m, with a 67m that I generated showing up after maybe 20 re-rolls), I'd say if anything you want as dense an atmosphere as possible with as low gravity as possible. That would also track with my understanding of relevant physics and physiology. Note that all of these were 5b+ age, so I don't think that was making a difference.

Note as well that 0.5g + 660mbar is enough for your starting recon plane to go 12 hexes.

The downside of this is that you'd either need smaller planets or a lot lower crust density (i.e., worse mineral content)...

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: September 23, 2022, 12:17:11 am »

Yeah, I had mentioned a modest atmosphere that time not as a sign I got a good value, just it was not ideal and I still got 30+m.

The discord folks' research found that air density didn't make a difference, though as you say high air density and low gravity would make sense.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: September 23, 2022, 09:43:31 am »

Heey. I've just rolled an 86m kaiju world.

I'm sure it's gonna be fine.
Spoiler: hello (click to show/hide)
Infantry attack odds 1:38500. Mhmmyeah.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 01:43:33 pm by Il Palazzo »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: September 23, 2022, 02:10:06 pm »

whaat. all my kaiju were spawning in with stacks of 100x or 200x, NOT 2100x omg

I'm starting to think its not that these creatures are gigantic, its just that us survivors are really, really small. stunted after decades of war, or something.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: September 25, 2022, 08:00:30 am »

Heey. I've just rolled an 86m kaiju world.

Spoiler:
[spoiler=hello
(click to show/hide)
Infantry attack odds 1:38500. Mhmmyeah.

So your telling me theres a chance...
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: September 28, 2022, 08:13:12 pm »

I imagine you could take an Aurora 4x game, pick out one of your frontier planets, and attempt to recreate it in Shadow Empire. Proceed to play through a game of Shadow Empire. The results could then be translated back into Aurora. .

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 28, 2022, 11:18:12 pm »

I imagine you could take an Aurora 4x game, pick out one of your frontier planets, and attempt to recreate it in Shadow Empire. Proceed to play through a game of Shadow Empire. The results could then be translated back into Aurora. .

I've thought about that, but the scale is off.
A typical Aurora homeworld has 100 million people on it.  A typical Shadow Empire has 2-3 million people on it.
I don't believe there is enough population growth in Shadow Empire to get to expected Aurora levels, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: September 29, 2022, 04:40:43 pm »

I want to say someone managed to gen a world with double-digit millions a few times, but could remember wrong. It's heavily weighted so that even if you have Earth-level population pre-dissolution (i.e. 7-10 billion), rocks fall, everyone dies, and you have single-digit millions at game start.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: September 29, 2022, 05:06:22 pm »

I've gotten close to 10m recently. You need a big world to start with. Survival stress helps. Then you need to be willing to re-roll the Dissolution phase; my experience suggests that you'd want a fall where most people starve rather than dying in war, disease, or above all else, fallout.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 12, 2022, 08:15:36 am »

So, it's the first time I've played a SP game long enough to research personal shields. They're weaker than heavy battledress. What's the point? It's not like they're cheaper either.
Another tech I don't understand is robotisation - do you need to do something with it, or is it automatic reduction in workforce requirements? I wasn't paying close enough attention to notice, if that's the case.

(also, I've found a kaiju variant with over 10k health)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 12, 2022, 01:59:54 pm »

Personal shields are different. They were bugged all to hell a few versions ago; I pointed this out in detail and Vic fixed/rebalanced them, but I haven't gotten back up to them to test them again. My rough understanding is that they're better for short engagements, but worse for long ones, but that's based on the buggy version of them. I also wanna say they ignore caliber modifiers/the weapon type matrix? Finally, check to see if jetpack infantry can equip them - IIRC heavy combat armor is the best traditional armor those can get. I'd like it if bikes could use them, but alas, they can't.

Basically, they appear to be designed as a rock-paper-scissor sidegrade, like a lot of the high-end tech. At the same time, they have different mechanics and don't get enough play to clarify if they're bugged/balanced...

Automation (and Fusion Plants, and Mass Food Pool) applies automatically. I can't remember if they reduce workforce or increase output (b/c the same number of workers can now do more).

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: October 12, 2022, 02:02:29 pm »

Automation doubles output but doesn't change the workforce requirement (the tooltip may be misleading).
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 49