Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 49

Author Topic: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning  (Read 79046 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SHADOW EMPIRE: Sci-fi 4x wargame on a procedurally generated world
« Reply #210 on: June 18, 2020, 01:51:26 pm »

Hmm, I got that AI on turn 1 and have been ignoring it since it was difficulty 115 IIRC. Perhaps it's time to open the door again; our civilization score HAS increased...

[Difficulty 63 with a listed bonus of 60 to the roll. Roll of 65 got me Laser Guns. I'll take it. ^^]
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 01:53:51 pm by E. Albright »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 18, 2020, 02:07:29 pm »

So how multiplayer look in this one? I can't see any relevant options for setting it up, but it is mentioned in the manual. Or is it just not implemented yet?

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 18, 2020, 03:38:09 pm »

When you set up a game you can set the number of players.  Multi is by PBE(Play by Email) only from what I can tell.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 18, 2020, 03:46:23 pm »

You know you can keep talking to the AI every turn? (but it gets harder each time)

What happens if I fail the roll?
Would I be correct in assuming that its a decision triggered by calling the zone governor and paying PP, or do I have to do something else?

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 18, 2020, 03:55:41 pm »

You know you can keep talking to the AI every turn? (but it gets harder each time)

What happens if I fail the roll?

When I failed, at least, the AI got angry with me and told me to go away. Purely coincidentally, a few turns later a small group of hostile AI sentinels popped up nearby the city.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 18, 2020, 05:28:55 pm »

Yeah, you call the guvnor and pay 3 PP, iirc. The two times I failed the roll I also got 10 sentinels pop up in the zone. I don't know if other outcomes are possible.

Some other events have similar repeatable mechanics. I think it was the union leader and the old militia general?

When you set up a game you can set the number of players.  Multi is by PBE(Play by Email) only from what I can tell.
Right. So it's an EoFS style PBEM. The turns don't take all that long though, and there seems to be more of them per game than in EoFS.
I'm trying to figure out how would a multiplayer match be best organised. It looks to me that just sending emails to the next person would take too long - at least with more than 2 players or on the tiniest of maps.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 18, 2020, 06:14:13 pm »

"After a long discussion on 'high galactic ethics' the AI has chosen to instruct you on how to build nukes."

Yep, either this is definitely GhandiOS, or the GR had it coming.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 18, 2020, 07:06:06 pm »

Yeah, you call the guvnor and pay 3 PP, iirc. The two times I failed the roll I also got 10 sentinels pop up in the zone. I don't know if other outcomes are possible.

Some other events have similar repeatable mechanics. I think it was the union leader and the old militia general?

Right. So it's an EoFS style PBEM. The turns don't take all that long though, and there seems to be more of them per game than in EoFS.
I'm trying to figure out how would a multiplayer match be best organised. It looks to me that just sending emails to the next person would take too long - at least with more than 2 players or on the tiniest of maps.

I suspect if the players set up a weekend with a schedule, they could crank through the first 20 turns or so, then it would probably slow down to 1 turn apiece during the week, picking up to 2-4 turns during the weekend.  A moon should be playable to completion.  The game seems to process one player's turns one-at-a-time, so I don't think it can go any quicker than that.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 18, 2020, 08:55:51 pm »

For some games Slitherine has a server to automatically transfer save files which saves the hassle of having to check your email and download files, so hopefully they bring that functionality to Shadow Empire at some point.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 18, 2020, 09:03:43 pm »

Thus far I've encountered: AI bunker; sensei; mad scientist; union leader; retired general; murderous monster; and maybe one or two others I can't recall.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 18, 2020, 09:15:54 pm »

I suspect if the players set up a weekend with a schedule, they could crank through the first 20 turns or so, then it would probably slow down to 1 turn apiece during the week, picking up to 2-4 turns during the weekend.  A moon should be playable to completion.  The game seems to process one player's turns one-at-a-time, so I don't think it can go any quicker than that.

I'd definitely be down for this, if anyone else is interested
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 19, 2020, 09:20:02 am »

Anyone else would want to give it a go? Just to try it out. Just to see how it feels.
Mostly to work out the schedule.
I'm thinking four players on the first small unclassified map we roll, but it's all open to discussion.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 19, 2020, 09:36:46 am »

Might want to try a small moon: It's the smallest map possible, so should* be the shortest game possible.  "Should" qualified by the fact that resources are also scarce, so there is a greater need to build up the war machine.  It's estimated that against the AI that a small moon is beatable in 20 turns, but I doubt the AI could survive being overwhelmed for a long as human players.

I may be able to devote a weekend to testing multiplayer out, but if it lasted beyond that then I'd probably drop out or pass the torch.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 20, 2020, 01:37:15 am »

Even if it's not the least pleasant world I've generated, this has to be one of the most viscerally unsettling ones I've seen...

Spoiler: Note: not lava (click to show/hide)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 20, 2020, 04:08:00 am »

is there a way to know if I'm having too few or too many military units? what do you all do? just recruit to cap? I didn't see upkeeps mentioned anywhere in the ux
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 49