Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 49

Author Topic: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning  (Read 79056 times)

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

:o air forces beta?

that sounds amazing. surprised it came before boats but still, amazing.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Not all planets have water but all planets have air some kind of atmosphere space above the ground in which to fly!

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not all planets have water but all planets have air some kind of atmosphere space above the ground in which to fly!

ha, yep. There's a huge ocean in my current (non air force) game that woulda been amazing had I been able to build a navy and control it. I think for air forces update (since they have ornithopters) I'm gonna do a dune style run. Naturally..
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SHADOW EMPIRE: Sci-fi 4x wargame: Hit the skies and Steam Dec 3rd!
« Reply #363 on: November 19, 2020, 03:16:09 pm »

Yes indeed - Looks like we'll be getting our airforce and a Steam release on Dec 3rd!

https://www.matrixgames.com/news/shadow-empire-will-be-released-on-steam-on-december-3rd

Looking forward to jumping back in after taking a bit of a break to let logistics, roads, etc. solidify mechanically.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 19, 2020, 03:25:13 pm »

I assume we can switch our Matrix purchase to Steam? Makes upgrades easier to handle.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 19, 2020, 03:26:38 pm »

I assume we can switch our Matrix purchase to Steam? Makes upgrades easier to handle.

yeah, it'll come with a steam key. I bought the game and see an area in the game list where a steam key looks like it'll be available in the future. And I think it said they'll send a steam key with steam release as well

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 19, 2020, 05:33:37 pm »

Speaking of, does anyone know if it's possible to get a desert planet with a breathable atmosphere? Or, how to make insidious less likely?

Just for roleplay anyways, I suppose, but making a strict Arrakis is hard.
- Charles Babbage

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Anyone try the air forces beta patch yet? I've not had a chance but I'm happy to see it's described as taking atmosphere and gravity into account when determining what is viable and what isn't - it feels like a step in the right direction WRT the saminess that afflicts this so much more than it seems like it should...

Downloading now!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 19, 2020, 09:02:44 pm »

Anyone try the air forces beta patch yet? I've not had a chance but I'm happy to see it's described as taking atmosphere and gravity into account when determining what is viable and what isn't - it feels like a step in the right direction WRT the saminess that afflicts this so much more than it seems like it should...

I was playing on a few of the patches last weekend. Makes the game a bit easier since even early aircraft seem very powerful. Independent forces and minor regimes don't really have air defenses, and majors (that I've seen) aren't too effective at protecting themselves either. Maybe things balance out a bit more once SAMs get researched...

Oh, and the aircraft model design taking 7 steps has made the need for a UI overhaul there very apparent.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 09:07:43 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 20, 2020, 12:18:55 am »

This got posted to the forums and Vic replied that he was toying with the idea of navies. He also said it would happen in 2021, if it does.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 26, 2020, 04:12:35 pm »

Hell yes, Shadow Empire thread.

SE is currently 20% off on the publisher store:
https://www.matrixgames.com/game/shadow-empire
Buy it there, just so Vic gets a bit of a bigger cut than on steam. You still get a steam key anyway.

The airforce stuff is apparently getting pushed out of beta very soon. Probably still some bugs in there though.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 26, 2020, 04:17:59 pm »

I've probably spent 100 hours wasting time on rerolls as I watch shows on my other monitor. Nothing else to do since waiting for cyberpunk and was doing other stuff so time went by fast. And not all in one day. But I can't get a dune planet with life, that isnt filled with moss or whatever that plant life is. Its supposedly possible, but someone else earlier in the thread didn't have much luck either and they tried longer than me.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 26, 2020, 09:15:59 pm »

someone doing vids early on in shadow empire got a arrakis type planet with sandworms after rerolling alot. I remember the playthrough pretty well, pure luck though.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 27, 2020, 07:39:49 am »

I've probably spent 100 hours wasting time on rerolls as I watch shows on my other monitor. Nothing else to do since waiting for cyberpunk and was doing other stuff so time went by fast. And not all in one day. But I can't get a dune planet with life, that isnt filled with moss or whatever that plant life is. Its supposedly possible, but someone else earlier in the thread didn't have much luck either and they tried longer than me.
I think if you want a Dune-like planet in SE, you have to make some compromises.
A true Arrakis would:
- Be a dry desert planet, but with water in the atmosphere (no windtraps without atmospheric water)
- Have a human breathable atmosphere, without plant life
- Have alien animals, without plant life
I'm not sure if any of these three things are actually possible. If they're possible, then it might be a ridiculously low chance.
You're probably gonna have to settle with a planet that has some surface water and/or one that has some minimal alien shrubs like this one: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/382518915630366721/781862233642762261/alien_shrubs.jpg.

someone doing vids early on in shadow empire got a arrakis type planet with sandworms after rerolling alot. I remember the playthrough pretty well, pure luck though.
If you mean Tortuga's Arrakis LP, I'm pretty sure he just did a planet without alien life and without water. That was from before the history classes were added, too, else he might have tried a bit more.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 07:42:23 am by Death Dragon »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 27, 2020, 02:25:58 pm »

I've seen arid planets with fewer plants than that despite having cloud forests. The trick is to get one tilted to the point where you can have polar regions cool enough for plants but everything in the middle is too hot, even the mountain ranges.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 49