Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [47.04] Painthailed - the militarist above-ground Dwarven state (Succession)  (Read 1470 times)

AcridBrimistic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

"Welcome to Painthailed, Urist.  We take that whole defense thing a bit more seriously around here."

Painthailed (or Logemrâluk) is a concept for a fort that is:

• Above-ground: the rock must only be broken in mining systems.  Moats and wine cellars are allowed.
  • A militarist autocracy: rules explained later

So how does this work, exactly?  Good question.  The answer is, like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Think of it as Breadbowl, but producing the greatest army rather than the greatest food.

What's the fortress' goal?  Basically, have fun, kill things, make strong army.  The only real instruction for overseers, is to strengthen the military.  You inherit it from the previous overseer, so return the favour.  Of course, casualties will happen, but that's a part of the fun.

If people want it, we can have community interaction with named dwarves.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile

Should we "export" soldiers, like BreadBowl used to export food too ?
Like, we could send them on a colonize mission to another outpost or something.
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This does look interesting - what kind of embark are you thinking? (evil? Metals?)

Could also be interesting to restrict non-military defence mechanisms...
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

AcridBrimistic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

This does look interesting - what kind of embark are you thinking? (evil? Metals?)

Could also be interesting to restrict non-military defence mechanisms...

Wherever we can deal the most death and create the mightiest miltia.  Probably close to elves and goblins to deal the maximum threat.  Also max savagery, which will allow us to include strong animals into the army.  Elves and goblins can be made into prisoners of war, maybe use them to train or slow down invaders.  Metal industry will be important for getting those ☼Silver War Hammers☼ and ☼Steel Mail Shirts☼ forged.

Should we "export" soldiers, like BreadBowl used to export food too ?
Like, we could send them on a colonize mission to another outpost or something.

Taking holdings from elves and goblins is a must.  We could demand tribute.  Certainly seize and slaughter the first elven caravan.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile

PTW. May claim a turn.

Going next to Elves would certainly provide us with a nigh-inexhaustible source of charcoal and practice dummies - I'm sorry, invading troops, while Goblins would be a more challenging foe. Live training would be a must, especially if we can cause that 'doesn't care much about anything anymore' line to stop the Dorfs freaking out when they see corpses.

Metal'll definitely be a big concern. Goblinite may compensate for a lack of Hematite or similar at embark, but casualties in initial battles would likely be high. Tribute from Goblins (assuming we don't kill them all) could give us metal, or Beak Dogs - the latter could be quite lethal if trained and used in the army.

Defence-wise, cage traps at the fringes of the fort/wall would probably help weaken smaller sieges and catch PoWs. More esoteric ones may or may not be of any use, depending on the embark conditions. Of course, if we embark next to a volcano, we could just tap the magma and flood the world.  :)
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are war animals banned? Trained jabberers will work in goblinite mining very well.

Also, if use a little DFhack, you can use not boring peaceful sheeps, but much more interesting and militaristic trolls. They may be spawned or claimed from sieges. I can write special rules for allowed cheat, that just need for emulation/roleplay of enslaving.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Or I can create world, add trolls by DFhack and five this world to players who have no DFhack.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile

Ooh, military.

A suggestion: all non-military personnel should become military personnel. Give them crossbows. Doesn't matter if they suck at it, they can pelt sieges with bolts for the heck of it, become immune to death by watching a siege, and fulfill combat needs. Obvious exception for dwarves who literally can't be marksdwarves (miners and such, and maybe medical dwarves and farmers should never be made active), but otherwise: marksdwarf spam!

I propose a spot that doesn't have iron, as to not make this too easy. Can't do a military fort with like no metal whatsoever, but I think we should have to rely on goblinite for our metal, or at least not get a ton of free steel. Having stuff for bronze wouldn't hurt, though.

One more thing: I propose the fortress defense mod. Just goblins and elves will get boring (even if we add necros into the mix), so I think we should have extra seigers.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It would be interesting to make death sheep: carnivorous and fluffy.  Like a regular wool-bearing sheep but with the attitude and habits of a wolverine. If you make em giant and able to open doors/trap-avoid like a gremlin, that might be !fun! too.  Make em mounts/wagon pullers... lol! perfect starting gaurd-beasts.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii