Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Total War Warhammer sale: what do I need exactly?  (Read 3074 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Total War Warhammer sale: what do I need exactly?
« on: June 12, 2020, 10:58:18 pm »

So there is a sale that ends in a day give or take a few hours. Massive discount. So my question is: What do I get out of each game. I hear a lot about "mortal empires" campaigns. Do I need to get WH2 alongside with 1 as a sort of DLC to have a reasonable number of playable factions?

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Total War Warhammer sale: what do I need exactly?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 01:37:59 am »

Get atleast the two base games if you plan on playing ME. Other than that, get stuff for factions that might interest you, personal favorites are the Tomb Kings and the Vampire Coast since they bring a ton of new and cool stuff. Some of the lord packs are pretty nice too, but again, only if you really care about their faction. Tho you can probably hold off on buying anything other than the two base games, the DLC goes on sale on a somewhat regular basis and the base games offer enough content and variety to keep you interested until then.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 01:54:21 am »

Tbh I find the TW WH dlc so confusing I'm kind of leaning on sticking with modded Ck2 for the time being, go back to shogun 2 when I have to scratch a tactics itch
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 02:02:00 am »

Is it really that confusing? First game DLC works with the second game if you have it, second game DLC works only with the second game and that's about it. Faction DLC is a bit expensive and introduces entire factions obviously, lord DLC is cheap and introduces a new legendary lord for the relevant two factions alongside a handful of new units and potentially new mechanics, depending on the lord/faction in question.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 02:20:40 pm »

Looking at my installs....

I have TW1, and I bought Beastmen, Chaos Warriors and the Blood patch and downloaded all the Free DLC.

In TW2 I have just the free DLCs.

I have access to the ME campaign.

So I don't think you need any of the paid DLC unless you want to play that specific faction. You'll have access to the majority of playable factions without them. Personally I'd get it and just start Empire to get your feet under you, figure out the game. Then you can decide if a specific faction DLC is worth it to you. There's plenty of factions to play without them.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 11:31:45 pm »

I decided to give this a pass in the end. I got the feeling that the cost was climbing a lot despite DLC. It's not unaffordable per se, but I feel kind of bad spending so much when I've not touched a total war game in *years*.

I'll play one of the TWs in the backlog if I have an itch, and then maybe, the next time they're on sale on humble (because of the donation) I'll consider it...

Or maybe I'll get just TW1. hmm. That's an option. Less of a wild irresponsible spendrun
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 11:38:37 pm by ChairmanPoo »

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 03:02:10 am »

I decided to give this a pass in the end. I got the feeling that the cost was climbing a lot despite DLC. It's not unaffordable per se, but I feel kind of bad spending so much when I've not touched a total war game in *years*.

I'll play one of the TWs in the backlog if I have an itch, and then maybe, the next time they're on sale on humble (because of the donation) I'll consider it...

Or maybe I'll get just TW1. hmm. That's an option. Less of a wild irresponsible spendrun

Personally I'd recommend only buying the base TW2 in that case if you end up wanting to try any of it. Much more of a polished experience and value for your money than TW1 in its base state imo. All the unit additions and such from the previous game and DLC's will still be in the game for the AI, it's only what you get to use personally that is somewhat limited, but still plenty enough to enjoy and get a feel for if there's a favorite faction you'd like to eventually spend some money on adding more to, or if buying TW1 for the mortal empires campaign is worth it.

While the amount of DLC and the total cost can seem silly, there's not much reason to buy more than a handful unless you're planning to dedicate thousands of hours to the game. As said all the DLC stuff is added into the game regardless of if you buy it or not, so unless you really want to play as the Tomb Kings or Vampire Coast for instance there's 0 reason to buy those DLCs (which are also the more expensive ones), you'll still get to fight them with your say Dark Elf army just fine.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 09:10:16 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 07:42:37 pm by dragdeler »
let

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 12:19:41 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 07:42:33 pm by dragdeler »
let

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 02:40:58 pm »

I kind of lost interest tbh. Figured that what you're getting there is in no small measure the "feeñing" of playing X or Y. If I wont be able to w/o dlc... might as well play some other TW game whixh I already own:p

I have been playing around with shogun2. Am looking around for mods for MTW2 and Rome2, apparently some LOTR mods are pretty good..