Option 3: Central Swamp (Normal)
- 1 (5.6%)
Option 4: Rocky Wasteland (Hardest)
- 8 (44.4%)
Option 5: Yellow Southern Desert (Hard)
- 4 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Modded Hell II: Mini-Update  (Read 13800 times)

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
Re: Modded Hell II
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2020, 01:23:33 pm »

Sorry Zultan, I meant IncompetentFortressMaker's mod. The Implausable Biology.

I'll look into your other mods IndigoFenix. At this point I'm shying away from more civs because they're usually the ones with the freaky custom stuff that breaks the game, and at this point we've got so many civs for the game to pick from that we probably won't see them all pop up on a normal world. Regardless, I'll see what they have to offer.

Yeah, I figured the electric cars were from the LOLmod. There aren't a whole lot of mods on this list that could possibly add the extended family of the lawnmower and cover my map with bone hurting trees.

If anyone's interested in what razed the test fort, apparently it was a yuuzhan fire breather.
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Fire_Breather
Considering that the only depictions that I can find of it are wreathed in flame and misery I'm going to say that it's working as intended in game. Though, I'm not entirely sure why it decided to kick at a fort of 15 koopas who were hardly into their first summer, but oh well. If anything I suppose going from 15 koopas with 62 animals to 4 and 12 is enough of an excuse to make a new copy of the raws to mess with and inject some of the new stuff into. I'm also not sure if I should just port over the old six armed, lightning breathing koopa body for the last game, make something new, or just play as impotent little turtles scared out of their wits in the middle of an ash field. Let me know what you guys want, because if anything I want to play this game a little more dangerously than the last. That, and I've come to understand that even with six arms, koopas choose to hold everything in their top two, so I don't know if that was ever even useful.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2020, 01:37:10 pm »

I'll look into your other mods IndigoFenix. At this point I'm shying away from more civs because they're usually the ones with the freaky custom stuff that breaks the game, and at this point we've got so many civs for the game to pick from that we probably won't see them all pop up on a normal world. Regardless, I'll see what they have to offer.

Yeah, that's why I suggested those two.  They are much less game-breaking than my usual fare, code-wise.
Too many civs can be an issue.  Actually ROTMK itself already goes over the default limit, which is one of the things I need to fix.  Maybe remove the less important, minor civs.
Wait, what happened to the DF File Repository?!  Is it all gone?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2020, 03:01:31 pm »

Yeah, that's why I suggested those two.  They are much less game-breaking than my usual fare, code-wise.
Too many civs can be an issue.  Actually ROTMK itself already goes over the default limit, which is one of the things I need to fix.  Maybe remove the less important, minor civs.
Wait, what happened to the DF File Repository?!  Is it all gone?

DFFD has been up and down lately, Toady says he's working on a fix.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2020, 03:33:26 pm »

DFFD always disappears in the least appropriate moments. I managed to log in, then the moment I tried to upload my stuff it went 404. I was about to send some nice, flammable things:

Other than ADP it's all modpack-friendly, though I use my own system of creature classes to determine immunities to interactions and syndromes, meaning that some interactions may behave not exactly as intended and one will only work on my creatures unless you put some work into it (probably not worth it, really).

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2020, 03:10:47 pm »

I am currently going through the mods I've been sent. Since DFFD is being weird or something, if people have the capacity to try to dm me a link for a dropbox download unless someone figures out how to get at things that have already been posted.

Currently on the docket (because I have them):
Voliol's Various Vivants, by Voliol
Implausible Biology and Miscellaneous by IncompetentFortressMaker

Also, somehow it only took one dude with a copper axe to kill the megabeast. He didn't, you know, survive afterwards but he was blessed with being just fire proof enough to get the kill.

Edit: I just want to put a note here that FortressMaker, your mod took my game from crashing 0 out of 10 times to almost 9 out of 10 times. Though that might be because I neglected to apply LAA to the new version of the game I made, more testing and I'll see if that was the problem.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 03:56:26 pm by MottledPetrel »

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2020, 04:19:10 pm »

Ouch. :-[ I wasn't expecting it to do that! If it is indeed my fault, sorry.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2020, 08:04:43 pm »

Don't worry man, it's looking mostly fine right now. If it becomes too much of a problem I'll start looking into what you did specifically with the civs and see if that's the issure. Let me tell you guys, if I never found the LAA application on the masterwork launcher I would never have been able to run the first modded hell. In case no one knows what I'm talking about, it lets dwarf fortress use more memory than it's usually allotted. If I ever give out the save for some turns everyone's probably going to need that to get the game to even launch.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2020, 01:39:00 pm »

PTW
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2020, 03:29:35 pm »

Let me tell you guys, if I never found the LAA application on the masterwork launcher I would never have been able to run the first modded hell. In case no one knows what I'm talking about, it lets dwarf fortress use more memory than it's usually allotted. If I ever give out the save for some turns everyone's probably going to need that to get the game to even launch.
In that case, if you do indeed ever give out the save, I will not be able to run it. Just a little forewarning. As of this post, my computer, a Win8 laptop, has 6GB of RAM. DF usually puts the RAM usage at about 50% or so while it's running, assuming no other memory-hungry programs are also running.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2020, 12:40:56 pm »

Let me tell you guys, if I never found the LAA application on the masterwork launcher I would never have been able to run the first modded hell. In case no one knows what I'm talking about, it lets dwarf fortress use more memory than it's usually allotted. If I ever give out the save for some turns everyone's probably going to need that to get the game to even launch.
In that case, if you do indeed ever give out the save, I will not be able to run it. Just a little forewarning. As of this post, my computer, a Win8 laptop, has 6GB of RAM. DF usually puts the RAM usage at about 50% or so while it's running, assuming no other memory-hungry programs are also running.

Why? LAA increases available memory from 2 GB to 4 GB on 32-bit machines. It does nothing on 64-bit machines.

Also, I don't see why you would need LAA to use the save afterwards? The save doesn't contain any binary code. I'm pretty sure saves are platform-agnostic, so I don't see why the presence or absence of LAA would affect saves.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2020, 12:52:42 pm »

I'm not going to pretend I know enough about it to know if that's actually how it works, or even if it is realistically doing anything to my games. All I know is that I try to gen worlds, after maybe 7 or 8 tries I use LAA and then it's not a problem anymore. Though, it would be pretty funny if it's only been blind faith and coincidence that gets this thing to work every time.

Also, SQman, Fenix, I got your stuff and I'm gonna see about getting it in. Before that, however, is figuring out if LAA miraculously smoothed everything over or if I have to do some work to fix the Implausible Biology civs.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2020, 12:54:59 pm »

Well yeah, if you have a 32-bit machine it could definitely help. The first part I was responding to IncompetentFortressMaker.

And with the second part I meant that others probably won't need LAA to use the save you created with LAA.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 12:56:41 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2020, 01:09:41 pm »

Why? LAA increases available memory from 2 GB to 4 GB on 32-bit machines. It does nothing on 64-bit machines.
...I thought it would do something like allowing you to set the memory available, so MottledPetrel would then probably set said value to 8GB or something just to run the world, higher than I'd be able to use. I really have no idea what I'm talking about here... as you can see.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2020, 04:41:44 pm »

Seeing as it's been about a week and there are no further suggestions on the horizon, I'm going to try to prepare the raws for a game with the mods at hand. I'm still on the fence over whether I intend to keep the civs from Implausible Biology, I think it's going to come down to whether they show up as visitors to the fort and make the situation awful because of their special effects. I've been trying to iron that out, so the three next things on the list haven't been dealt with yet, but I'm getting there.

Also, just as a forewarning, I'm not gonna go as crazy with the story as I did the last one. I want to get this game farther along in terms of time so that the crazy end game stuff starts showing itself, because I've never used one of these modpacks that long and I want to see how the fortress implodes. Not only that, but I've been doing some of my own other works since I left the first fort, and I've got a bad habit of crossing wires between separate universes, so I'm going to try to keep it on the more literal side.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2020, 07:41:39 pm »

FYI MottledPetrel: the silent ones' turn-other-creatures-into-them thing only affects vanilla races (dwarves, elves, humans, goblins) and all IBaM races besides deepwaters abyssals.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8