Option 3: Central Swamp (Normal)
- 1 (5.6%)
Option 4: Rocky Wasteland (Hardest)
- 8 (44.4%)
Option 5: Yellow Southern Desert (Hard)
- 4 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Modded Hell II: Mini-Update  (Read 13955 times)

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
Re: Modded Hell II: Slaughter by the River
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2020, 05:27:44 pm »

I actually remember being in the embark screen and seeing that the game wanted us to take sleeproots as our main starting food because they were cheap. That, honestly, would have been really funny. I, however, am more afraid of my own modded mushrooms because I don't entirely remember what they do. All I remember is that the psychedelic mushrooms cause a random amount of random emotions and that there were some other ones that caused internal bleeding as if you just ate a big mouthful of fiberglass. Though, we somehow managed to loose like 70% of our seeds, so now we're almost exclusively eating pokemon energy roots and mario squinting radishes.

I already know better than to promise an update schedule, but I'm going to try to get an update of similar length to the last one out every weekend. If anyone has any requests other than me just trying to get everything underground before we get stomped, let me know.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2020, 05:33:33 pm »

Energy roots can't be good in the long run; if they're anything like the item in the Pokémon games they should be giving a bad thought of some kind.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2020, 10:05:39 am »

Energy roots are like 200 hp, right? Can't be bad when you're on fire. Speaking of fire, build boardwalks everywhere to block wildfires. It's my love for boardwalks speaking, not my inner Smokey.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2020, 09:20:14 pm »

Oh shit, Modded Hell is back! Glad to see it return! I may scrounged up and contributed a beast or what-have-you to this little escapade in modding madness~!

« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 09:32:12 pm by Asin »

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2020, 03:08:12 am »

Oh shit, Modded Hell is back! Glad to see it return! I may scrounged up and contributed a beast or what-have-you to this little escapade in modding madness~!

Hang on a min: doesn't adding a creature raw after worldgen's finished require a regen?
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2020, 03:41:15 am »

It does, unfortunately. New pops just won't appear out of nowhere. If new creatures were to be summoned, however...

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2020, 11:06:53 am »

It does, unfortunately. New pops just won't appear out of nowhere. If new creatures were to be summoned, however...

Regardless of populations, I think that adding any new object to the raws intrinsically creates problems if done post worldgen. You can modify existing objects but I don't think you can add new ones..

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2020, 10:18:02 pm »

Well, guess I showed up too late then.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2020, 04:44:14 pm »

Yeah, sorry, stability is already enough of an issue so I don't think I'm going to be adding stuff mid-game. Before I keep going, I REALLY need to know if energy roots have some kind of bad effect to them, because I really don't want to get a year in to find that our main food source causes a bad thought.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2020, 06:38:48 pm »

I checked the raws, they give bitterness when consumed. Is that really it for our food options? What wild crops are there?

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2020, 06:31:50 pm »

So here's our problem, for whatever reason it would appear that a good portion of the seeds we brought don't want to grow. Here is a list of what we have that can be planted.

In my experience, not all pokemon berries can be eaten raw. I have absolutely no idea what most of them do in dwarf fortress terms so I've just been trying to avoid them. Here's all the seeds we have total.

Looking at this, it would seem that an underground farm is the answer, but we don't necessarily have miners growing on trees so it might take a while. I went and looked through each koopa's thoughts and I couldn't find anyone who felt 'bitterness' over eating an energy root. Furthermore, I know that creatures can eventually grow to feel nothing over death, but can they feel nothing over their food being bitter? Do energy roots have some kind of hidden healing property that makes it worth it? Also:

It would seem that the floor worked, though we lost a beta male in the fire because he decided that he wanted to haul a log right in front of the gathering blaze and then a tree fell on him. Also, the wagon along with most of our perishable supplies burned too. Honestly, this is looking like it's going to be a tough game. Which, honestly, I guess is for the best. I've never really had a game as desperate as this is shaping up to be so it's probably gonna be a whole lot more interesting than the last one.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2020, 06:22:01 am »

At least we have a defense against the fires now. to bad we lost the wagon it could have become a monument to our arrival in these lands.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2020, 12:09:13 pm »

Lum berries will help us combat burns and paralysis and alleviate confusion. As if.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2020, 06:04:18 pm »

Been busy for a little bit, and will probably continue to be busy, so I thought I'd put out a mini update to hold people over.
---

Although the firebreak was set up in time, it would appear that most flammable things that were brought with the embark are now gone. Most of the food and the handful of seeds that could actually be planted were brought inside, but the bags they came in as well as the thread and cloth went up in smoke. Regardless, only a beta male died in the fire, so all things considering it went kinda well.

The Koopa caravan is here, but considering we literally just lost almost everything we had I'm not even gonna hope that we can get anything useful. I was, however, able to buy three sets of backpacks and water skins. All things considered, that's actually a pretty nice find because just about every corpse on the map has already started to rot. Furthermore, in my experience things that are brutally killed instead of hunted or slaughtered don't often get butchered, so leather is much rarer of a commodity than you would think.

The next step in making the fort habitable was digging out a dining room and then a dormitory. In case you're wondering why there's just people laying on the floor, it's because I set aside a hospital in an attempt to get the string and cloth hauled inside before they burned. That didn't work. Instead, I learned that there were a lot of creatures walking around with broken ribs. The fisherkoopa is now going to be doctor, because he isn't actually preparing any of the fish he's catching and I'm a little upset about that.

Thankfully, migrants showed up literally right after I complained about not having enough people. Of those who showed up are a novice miner, a legendary fish cleaner magikoopa and his youngest son; another miner (nephew to the first miner) with a short enough attention span to worship 7 different gods, own 3 pets, and to leave his lover behind to run across the world to live in an almost uninhabited hole in the ground; ANOTHER miner (half brother of the child), a legendary metalsmith who's gonna be the head brute because there aren't any other burly koopas who can take the role, a legendary presser; and finally a fishery worker with 8 deities, a missing lover, AND a missing master. On top of that were some pets and stray animals, nothing crazy enough in itself to mention. Regardless, considering our mining force basically tripled I'm hoping that we'll be able to get everything set up so that as few people are wandering around the dangerous surface as possible.

I'm setting aside the metalsmish, the fishery worker, and one of the miners to start the military. If there's anything that the first month and a half showed me, it's that we need to get at least one koopa totally equipped as fast as possible so the fort doesn't get stomped. However, we seem to have more options on hand than I'm used to. Just mining out the center room I've come across veins of a lot of modded ores that I'm not familiar with. One that seems hopeful, however, is the black squiggly 'a' that can be seen in the last picture. I don't remember quite what it was, but it was claiming that I could smelt it together with steel to get an even better alloy. I'm going to have to do a comfortably minimum amount of digging to find if these ores and alloys are worth trying or if steel is the safe choice. Personally, I don't want to make the safe choice, but I also don't want to find out that I'm making armor that only protects against piercing and nothing else.

Back to school season might be a little patchy for me, but I'm gonna be trying my best.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Modded Hell II: Mini-Update
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2020, 02:52:34 pm »

I like your method of exploiting the hospital's thread hogging for your own benefit. Even if it didn't work it's quite ingenious.

What are the black 'ĺ's called/what mod are they from?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8