Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Masterwork Ammunition  (Read 1002 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Masterwork Ammunition
« on: June 14, 2020, 08:30:36 pm »

Ammunition should be exempt from the travesty of art defacement.

After a big battle there are hundreds of items to clean up. Sometimes I smash everything. Sometimes I pull out the meltables and smash the rest. I like big battles, so we're talking about hundreds of items. Too many to conveniently pick through by hand.

Cleaning up the battle is far more difficult when my marksdwarves get involved, because some of their masterwork bolts get mixed in with the rest of the battlefield junk. If those get smashed or melted in the cleanup, then my weaponsmith is unhappy.

With other artifacts, it makes sense for the creator to imagine that the masterwork will last forever---with the possible exception of clothing. But this is ammunition. It's designed to be used up. It makes no sense that anyone would be surprised that a bolt was destroyed. In fact, most of the bolts that are fired are destroyed when they hit their targets. Only the bolts that miss survive the battle and end up amidst the junk.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masterwork Ammunition
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 05:17:55 am »

No! This is dwarf fortress!

Control the location where your marksmen are using their bolts.
Limit the ammo hunters can use.
Encrust your ammo with masterfull band and spikes.

Or maybe you are right and the encrust ammo needs an overhaul too.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masterwork Ammunition
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 05:14:34 pm »

Perhaps the ammo artisans just need some a little bit of zen programming to make them look at ammo like a sand mandala, created to be destroyed.

Urist was accepting of a masterwork ammo's purpose fulfilled.