Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Land Wars - Supernerd Edition - Probably Dead  (Read 10144 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Land Wars - Supernerd Edition - Probably Dead
« on: June 14, 2020, 10:15:50 pm »

Introduction

Hello and welcome to Land Wars, the forum based grand strategy game where the GM does as little work as possible! You basically just make shit up in accordance the rules and I'll just be the one who decides how combat scenes play out, and when something is too absurd to be tolerated.

To start things off, you will need to submit a map that is 500x500 pixels in size. The map does not need to be of particularly high quality, but I do need to be able to understand what is going on. When the game is ready to start, these maps will be merged into a single large map.

You will also need to decide on a theme. I'm going to be extremely lenient in regards to what is and is not allowed for this (But not quite as lenient as a certain other person who shall remain nameless); however take note that all players begin the game with the same amount of power. If you want a nation full of dragons, they'll be exceptionally weak dragons; as an example.

Game Mechanics

Troops: In this game you'll be able to design your own Soldiers. From ordinary swordsmen to magical walruses, these are the guys you will be sending to do things such as fighting in wars, maintaining order in your lands and just about everything else that can't be handled diplomatically (And sometimes for that too). Every soldier should have a name, and a description about a paragraph in length explaning what they do.

Soldiers can have a "Value" of more or less than 1. This means that a soldier can be about twice as strong but cost twice as much or that you can have a swarm of really weak guys. At the start of the game however, you are limited to soldiers with a value of no higher than 1. If you want stronger guys you'll need to train them up in game. Furthermore, the max point value of a troop you can research is equal to the amount of territories you own!

Each turn you can recruit a certain amount of troops. (Mentioned in detail below)

Heroes: A hero is a special kind of soldier, which is basically just a much better special version of one. Stuff like dragons etc. Heroes are recruited using projects. You can have a maximum of 3 heroes at any given time, and can only create 6 over the course of the entire game; so it is advised to carefully consider how they should be used.

Strategic Resources: Each map tile will have one special kind of resource. Soldiers designed to use strategic resources will be more powerful than an equivalent one that does not require them. Owning the tile associated with a resource will provide you with 100 of this resource each turn. These resources can be traded, stolen etc.

You get to make up the one on your home tile.

Additional Clarification: You start the game with 0 units of the strategic units and no troops that use it, but you can start the game with projects for troops that use it. Heroes may or may not be designed with strategic resources. Ordinary troops cannot use more units of strategic resources than their point cost. (But they can use less). Projects do not have a maximum strategic resource cost.

Projects: Each turn you can work on a number of projects. This is the way that you will be able to create new weapons, new types of units, recruit heroes, build military encampments and other things. You can build pretty much whatever you want, but the golden rule is that the value of what you make is equal to the amount of points that the project requires.

Each turn, you gain X+1 project points. X is equal to the number of territories you control.

Spoiler: Example Costs (click to show/hide)

How to play
Once the game starts, you will be able to do a number of things each turn. All of which must be specified in your post at the time you make it.

Recruitment: Each turn you can gain a certain amount of troops. The amount of points you can spend is always equal to the following formula. (I expect you to be able to do the math yourself).

(X+1)*100-(Y/50)
X is equal to the number of territories you control.
Y is equal to the point value of your troops at the start of the turn.

So if you have one territory and 2,000 points of troops at turn start, you would be able to recruit up to 160 points of troops on that turn. (Round to the nearest whole number, rounding up if the decimal is exactly .5)

Diplomacy: Other players may be willing to work together with you in order to deal with certain problems. Simple messages take no time to delivery, and should be in the game thread. It is also possible to trade things such as Strategic Resources, share certain kinds of research-like projects, or send non-hostile re-enforcements. "Trade" actions are not instant and will need to be validated in a GM update.

It is possible to betray someone in diplomatic deals, intercept other players deals, and other such shenanigans. It is also possible for them to become hostile as a result of such behavior.

Combat: Your ultimate goal is probably going to be world domination. In order to attack someone, you will need to make a separate post in the game (Separate from your standard update post) and specify the following things.

- Who you are attacking
- What your objectives are
- The troops that you are sending into battle
- Any other important things that need consideration
- The tactics that you intend to use.

On the next turn, the defender will then get an opportunity to prepare a defense strategy with whatever troops they have that are not committed elsewhere. If the defender is too far away, they may have multiple turns to prepare.

Note that the tactics you choose to employ will be the primary factor in who wins the battle, and how many troops will die.

Espionage: Sometimes you'll want to do something a bit more subtle, like interfering with an enemy project or stealing stuff. To do that, you will need to post in the game to announce that you are doing a stealth action and which territory you are doing that action in, and then send the rest of the information (As specified under combat) to the GM. At this time, other players with business in that territory should send the GM a PM with any relevant information about how their defenses are prepared.

A stealth action that takes place outside of your established territory will be MUCH less effective than a non-stealth equivalent action. Like, less than half, and using too many stealth actions will increase the odds of your plots being uncovered.

A "stealth" attack involving your entire military is almost guaranteed to fail. A good rule of thumb is to consider if the group you send can realistically traverse an area without getting spotted.

Territory Annexation: In order to officially gain a new tile, you will need to complete a five point annexation project. This project cannot be started if any hostile forces are present on the tile, and will be halted if you are unable to maintain your military dominance on the tile for the project's full duration. Once you complete the annexation process, you will have all the benefits that come with the territory!

Despicable Neutrals: At game start, there will be several "Neutral" territories that may or may not have a standing army. These can and should be annexed as soon as possible. Diplomacy with these neutral territories is not possible and they are much easier to take than an enemy stronghold.

Other: If you want to do something that isn't really covered by the rules, ask the GM first. If you feel that something has not been adequately explained, please let me know.

The day does not end until the GM makes an "Update Post" that includes the update post of all players. Invalid actions may be changed without warning. Once this update post is made, all actions are finalized and the next turns action can be posted. Turns will generally be once every two real days, but may take a bit longer sometimes. All players are expected to post on time.

Application and action format:

The below code will show the correct format that all of your updates must be sent in. In addition, you will need to include a map with the initial application, but the map does not need to be on every post.

To clarify, the Owned Strategic Resources line is where you specify the resources for territories that you own, which you are getting each turn. The Supplies field is for where you specify the amount of each resource that you have.

The details field should explain everything from your heroes, troops, research projects etc. You start the game with 20 points of projects completed. You will need to use these to design your starting troop types, allocate to any heroes you want to start with, your home defenses, and possibly other things. At the end of each project name, include () brackets along with the number of points the project took as well as current progress if applicable. (1/5) (2/3) etc. The maximum point cost for a troop at the Start of the game is 5.

You also start with 2,000 points worth of troops.

The game begins when I feel that we have enough players.

Code: [Select]
Civilization Name:
Theme:
Day 0:
Home Territory:
Other Territories:
Owned Strategic Resources:

Current Troops:
Heroes:
Supplies:

Recruiting this turn:

[spoiler=Troop Designs]

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Project Information]

[/spoiler]

If you guys like discord, you can talk about the game here by clicking this link. Joining the discord is in no way required for playing the game.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 04:32:49 pm by Supernerd »
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
Re: Land Wars - Supernerd Edition
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 03:46:47 pm »

Hopefully this will go better than the last time someone other than me tried hosting the game. PTW while I make a shitpost overspecialized kingdom out of boredom. What stops me from having a kingdom which has extremely powerful units (think ~20-25x the power of a normal unit) with ~20-25x the recruitment cost?
it's over

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 04:02:19 pm »

PTW, will work on something soonish.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 04:04:23 pm »

@0cra, The first post does actually. It explicitly states that at the start of game troops cannot have a value of more than 1 point each. That's not to say people can't try making a stupid gimmick application, just that they would need to find a different stupid gimmick thing to do.

Soldiers can have a "Value" of more or less than 1. This means that a soldier can be about twice as strong but cost twice as much or that you can have a swarm of really weak guys. At the start of the game however, you are limited to soldiers with a value of no higher than 1. If you want stronger guys you'll need to train them up in game. Furthermore, the max point value of a troop you can research is equal to the amount of territories you own!
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 04:17:00 pm »

alright fuck it, time to ask the pathetically small LW discord server about which gimmick I should use, from 4 choices
it's over

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 07:55:24 pm »

Seems like fun. I'll throw in.

Would you prefer we direct message you our submissions or post them here?

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 08:22:18 pm »

Well, I am; A. Incredibly excited that there's another land wars, this one by a properly dedicated GM
B. Upset that I only found out about it a few days before I have to move to another state,
And C. Annoyed greatly by the 'only 1 point soldiers' rule because that literally invalidates every single faction I've played so far and almost every single faction idea I've made since, especially the one I had been actively planning on using and had been constantly looking forward to getting to use ever since the second Land Wars game.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 08:24:15 pm by Failbird105 »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 08:44:41 pm »

Full disclosure: I actually do drop more than my fair share of games. There's worse GMs to be sure, but manage your expectations.

As for your ideas, there may be room for negotiation. If you let me know what you wanted to do that would be invalidated by 1 point troops (PM is fine) then I may be able to do something for you.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 03:15:10 am »

Full disclosure: I actually do drop more than my fair share of games. There's worse GMs to be sure, but manage your expectations.

If it makes you feel any better, I've dropped 100% of the games I've run :^)

Then again 100% of 1 is still only 1.

By the way I'm just going to drop this here so I can edit and refer to it as needed.

Spoiler: Nation Image (click to show/hide)

Civilization Name: Das Königreich der Stahlfestung (The Kingdom of Steelhold)
Theme: Medieval Prussia
Day 0:
Home Territory: Stahlfestung
Other Territories: -
Owned Strategic Resources: Stahlstein - An exceptionally strong and durable stone resistant to damage.

Current Troops:

Stahlspieß: 1000
Herzenssuchende: 600
Eisen Eingeweihter: 500
Leichtflammenballiste: 150

Heroes:
Supplies:

Recruiting this turn (160 points total):
Stahlspieß: 100
Eisen Eingeweihter: 50
Herzenssuchende: 25
Leichtflammenballiste: 10

Spoiler: Troop Designs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Project Information (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 05:09:50 am by coleslaw35 »

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 06:36:50 pm »

Civilization Name: Harvester Nexus
Theme: Rogue Harvester Robots
Day 0
Home Territory: Nexus Wastes (map: https://pic8.co/sh/BM884n.png)
Other Territories: None
Owned Strategic Resources: Living Metal (+100/turn)

Current Troops: (2000 total value)
800 Ancient Impalers
600 Ancient Choppers
100 Ancient Ballistae
1000 Ancient Maintenance Drones

Heroes:
Robotonk Prototype

Stored Strategic Resources: 0 Living Metal

Recruiting this turn (cost: 160 value):
100 Ancient Impalers
60 Ancient Choppers
Spoiler: Project Information (click to show/hide)
Information pastebin link (read for non-TL;DR descriptions and fluff): https://pastebin.com/aD2eDzej
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 08:21:32 am by 0cra_tr0per »
it's over

Unlurking Sentinel

• Bay Watcher
  • 6e 6f 74 20 61 20 72 6f 62 6f 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2020, 01:22:24 am »

PTW and express interest.
01101110 01101111 01110000 01100101 00101100 00100000 01100100 01100101 01100110 01101001 01101110 01101001 01110100 01100101 01101100 01111001 00100000 01101110 01101111 01110100 00100000 01100001 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100010 01101111 01110100

Final Fantasy Emblem on Forums

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 10:08:30 am »

Civilization Name: The Scaled
Theme: Primitive Space Reptiles
Day 0:
Home Territory: Reptilia Prime
Map:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Other Territories: -
Owned Strategic Resources: Qu'aat Gems- Rare gems imbued with elemental magic.
Current Troops:
Heroes:
Supplies:

Recruiting this turn:
Spoiler:  Project Information (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 09:03:35 pm by Chaoskl21 »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2020, 03:49:43 pm »

There's a few additional clarifications I feel I should make in regards to troops.

Each troop design will require both a troop cost amount, and a project cost amount. If they use strategic resources, then they will also require a strategic resource cost.

The map must also be 500x500 pixels in size.

I am going to assume that Chaoskl21 has thus far only posted a rough draft, like the other players who posted so far. If there is anything that is confusing you, please let me know.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2020, 08:38:57 pm »

coleslaw35 and 0cra_tr0per have the application properly filled out, so you can use that an example if you find things confusing.

TheRedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pagan Desert Bitch (she/they)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2020, 08:41:22 pm »

Reserving a spøt
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12