Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bugged Visiting Scholars  (Read 792 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bugged Visiting Scholars
« on: June 15, 2020, 10:09:10 am »

I retired and unretired my fort, to slip in some adventurers for training. After unretiring, I was invaded by scholars. It should have been great, since I'm driving toward a massive library with all the world's knowledge. And these scholars are thirty of the world's best in their fields. So it would be awesome if they could start researching and maybe apply for citizenship.

But the scholars are bugged. They just stand around. They don't eat, drink, socialize, or worship. And above all, they don't research. Occasionally they'll move around some, so it's not like they're frozen in place. It's more like they have the AI that they would have in adventure mode. They're marked as hostile, though they don't attack. And they must not be visitors because they don't seem to count towards the visitor cap.

Is there any way to un-bug these scholars and give them a chance to join my library?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bugged Visiting Scholars
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 11:29:01 am »

I assume they were there when you unretired? It's a known bug that unretiring (or was it reclaiming?) causes local characters present to be hostile but not aggressive (like cavern civs often are nowadays). If they've come from outside after you unretired they may have been inbound when unretiring and falling into the same pattern (in which case the bug report should probably be updated with the new variant).

I'm not aware of any way to fix the problem (in either case). If you can get them to leave they might eventually return in an unbugged state, but that's mostly wishful thinking.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 11:55:25 am »

I was hoping that there would be some sort of switch that would get them moving. My next-best option is to do another retire and unretire to see what that does.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 03:57:05 pm »

You might try this script. It was made to get rid of bugged visitors that just stood around, so I have no idea if it will work in this case.
It doesn't work if they're engaged in a task, and doesn't work on bugged "Friendly" performance troupe members that enter after some buddies have had a petition accepted, though.

Code: [Select]
--  Causes units to leave the map when they're no longer occupied. Can be used to get rid of
--  bugged overstaying visitors that no longer socialize. Those still socializing seem to take
--  up new socialization activities before considering to act on this prompt, though. You'd have
--  to close the facilities they visit for it to take effect.
--[====[

getlost
=======
--
]====]
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end

getlost ()

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 09:23:54 pm »

Misuse the CotG. Loitering spys, not scholars.

I just found a great misuse for the justice system. I had a hauler lost, sometimes happens, if trees or things alter the dorfs pathing. So interogating him, will send the CotG to interogate him, so he went down into cavern, fetched him right back into the fold. I was able to raise drawbridge afterwards, preventing it from rehappening. I imagine this works for dorf children playing by gap on edge where Forgotten Beasts enter, aswell.

Best of luck with loiterers. Also, nobles in squads can do very cold blooded things, to visitors, with diplomatic immunity. My broker is a murderer, anotherwords.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 10:46:38 am »

Somewhat cheaty, but could try to convert them to your fort with script here.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 11:32:06 am »

Somewhat cheaty, but could try to convert them to your fort with script here.
It didn't work. The script ran fine and said that he was a citizen, but he didn't show up on the citizens screen. I tried that script on a legit goblin visitor and he did show up as a citizen, but he wouldn't take any orders.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 11:51:08 pm »

Update on these bugged scholars. I re-unretired this fort after a year and a half, and now nearly all the scholars are reading and socializing as they should.