Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Scrapyard Engineers of Thaddeus III (PvE Arms Race)  (Read 5595 times)

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
Re: Scrapyard Engineers of Thaddeus III (PvE Arms Race)
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2020, 08:30:24 pm »

Yeah, sheet's in. As for voting, Nirur was the one that updated the votebox with my vote to cosmic trade winds, so I assume it's acceptable if others vote. (Also don't mind at all if he changes/adds something spicy if he wanted).

By the by: If someone else voted for cosmic trade winds, would you vote for it or against it? Like, if you'd prefer something that isn't that, I'm perfectly fine with it being taken out as an option (I'd just vote nodespace rippers in that case).

Also meant to say the high tide and low tide was freakin' genius. Atleast to my small minded brain! I imagine blackholes as kind of tidal whirlpools or hurricanes to work with that.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2020, 10:32:15 pm »

Want to add it to your proposal?

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2020, 11:09:29 pm »

oh uhh… yeah I should do that! xD (durr) Ok so! Revised:

Cosmic Trade Winds: The Galaxy is infused with dark energy, and humanity are only beginning to sense this more and more clearly. What they've started to discover is dark energy, or cosmic energy, moves all the time. These create winds and currents of literally astronomical energy. A ship made with Cosmic sails can catch these winds and reach FTL. People sense these winds and currents through their skin, the strength of goosebumps telling them the strength and direction of the current, even inside the ship. However, Cosmic storms can destroy ships as energy sweeps in every direction, often creating small nebula as the energy converts itself to matter. Other times, the routes can change, leaving systems without FTL travel until the fickle winds turn to them at another point.

Additionally, there are tides, both high and low. Crew members hate the feeling of either when it gets too much one way or another. Each tide also has a breaking point, where physics start doing weird things. Low tide is when the dark energy becomes very still, slowing ships. When it hits the breaking point, the energy is so still that time and space slowly ceases to exist. This super void leads to those caught in to simply cease to exist, person by person disappearing in quantum shift if no one is there to observe, including ships themselves.

High tide is when the dark energy is so active and violent that it begins to tear at the fabric of time and space. Ships/captains that know how to survive these turbulent currents can make good speed, but the breaking point is something to avoid. The breaking point literally opens a tear in said fabric, revealing a graveyard of broken nodespace, shattered hyperspace, even dead galaxies untold light years away. This tear drags in some of the dark energy currents, dragging ships to places they were not designed in physics to exist in, driving the crew mad. Whether ALL those galaxies are dead is speculation.

Star systems gravitational pulls anchors reality and dark energy, preventing break points from either side of the tides. The islands and shores of space sail travel. Black Holes end up being whirlpools of constant hyper high tide, but with such gravitational pull that it's anchored to reality, so instead the energy pools so strongly it becomes visible to the naked eye as... well... black holes.

(hoping not to make it too verbose to match the other ones, but, yeah. Left it more open for something to be on the other side of high tide. A giant space whale would be dumb AND great! :P)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2020, 08:10:23 am »

Quote from: Faster than Votes
A) Immaterium travel (0):
B) Nodespace Rippers (0):
C) R'lyeh Drives (2): 0cra_tr0per, Chaoskl21
WI) Psionic Jump (1): Dustan Hache
WI) Universal Leylines ():
WI) Cosmic Trade Winds (1): Maxinum McDreich
Re:WI) Cosmic Trade Winds (1): TricMagic

K~, changed my vote to the new one. And yes, it would.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2020, 09:03:55 am »

I forgot:
C) R'lyeh Drives (2): 0cra_tr0per, Chaoskl21
WI) Cosmic Trade Winds ():
Re:WI) Cosmic Trade Winds (2): TricMagic, Maxinum McDreich

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2020, 02:54:28 pm »

I'll give it a few more hours. If nothing changes, I'll throw in a tiebreaker favoring Re:WI and post the finalized starting designs.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2020, 03:55:54 pm »

C) R'lyeh Drives (3): 0cra_tr0per, Chaoskl21, IronyOwl
WI) Cosmic Trade Winds ():
Re:WI) Cosmic Trade Winds (2): TricMagic, Maxinum McDreich
Ia Ia and such!

Name: Alaric Ven
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2020, 04:18:56 pm »

Workbreaker, thy name is Irony.

No age of cosmic sailing then, just confusion of something with no understanding. Can we understand it? Or is it simply incomprehensible?

Me being slightly wondering about something that has no explanation, but simply is, apparently.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2020, 04:30:45 pm »

And we're full. I had a scout written up, name genned by SeventhSanctum. Here it is, since I won't be posting it with the rest:
Portalrider Class Experimental Light Special Strategic Macro-Explorer Frigate.

This is an unarmed science and passive reconnaissance vessel, designed for long missions. It has an expanded cargobay to carry more supplies, a compliment of re-usable sensor buoys, and has an external mount for a single planetary shuttle or fightercraft. It carries extra radiators and heatsinks as a cheap cloaking solution. Together, its expanded sensor array and buoys can be used as a very basic sensor and comms net in a foreign system.
Quality: 2! cost: 4

Weapons: Unarmed
Defenses: Light armor
Fast engine rating, poor maneuverability
Riders: 1 light fighter, external. 1 set of sensor buoys.
Perks: Very basic command and control, negligible cloaking, long range
Flaws: Low morale, low command infosec
Costs: Moderate build costs, moderate maintenance.

Notes: Our scout was sadly over-ambitious. The heatsinks were poorly designed, and the crew quickly gets uncomfortable when the ship goes dark. Worse, they crowd out the cargobay and crew space, limiting range to only moderately further than a standard ship. Getting enough buoys to cover a system required stripping them to a smaller size, leaving them quite obvious and easy to listen in on. It remains capable of coordinating a fleet in foreign systems, barely, and is capable of carrying a Silver Fox.

We have: A light fighter, a biological sapper drone, a line corvette, a missile corvette, a repair ship that works on prayer, and a basic carrier. Rolls later.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2020, 05:22:58 pm »

Of those two descriptions, two stick out huh.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2020, 07:31:02 pm »

I'm assuming the Portalrider-class is our carrier.

I submitted the missile boat.
it's over

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2020, 07:35:34 pm »

Portalrider was a placeholder we no longer have. Our carrier is most likely a hunk of junk auto-genned to give our fighters something to launch from.

I did the bio sapper drone. :3
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2020, 07:50:43 pm »

R'lyeh Drives win.

Rolls are 2d4.
Sizes are: Strikecraft < Gunship < Corvette < Frigate < Destroyer < Cruiser < Battleship < Dreadnaught.I'm not going to be very consistent on scale, but assume each size is about 2-3 times longer and wider than the previous category.
Ratings are relative to the size category. A very cheap corvette will still be more expensive than an expensive fighter, and light corvette armor is heavier than heavy fighter armor. Speed is the exception.
Build costs are partially abstracted away, and affect how many ships get built per turn (or how many turns it takes to build larger ships). Maintenance affects how many total ships you can support. Infrastructure to build and maintain more will improve over time, or with actions.

Spoiler: Thaddean Corvette (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: VK-III Leech (click to show/hide)

I'm assuming the Portalrider-class is our carrier.
The Portalrider was a scout, given as the fifth design if I had to start before getting a fifth player. It no longer exists.

No age of cosmic sailing then, just confusion of something with no understanding. Can we understand it? Or is it simply incomprehensible?

Me being slightly wondering about something that has no explanation, but simply is, apparently.
You'll have to either design sensors to study it, or wait for some other faction to do so. Then you can weaponize it. Or whatever else you want to do, I guess you could use it for cheap and clean civilian power generation.

First design phase starts now. Remember that you each have your own action, and it's slightly more powerful than the standardized revision action. You may work together for more of an effect, and to mix your specialties.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2020, 07:59:41 am »

Prayer Temple

It is noted that the Faith Crystals form something like itself when prayed to. What if we use the Faith generated in specialized structures to grow new crystals from the old? Based on notes, it would be viable, and potentially allow new types of crystals to be formed in the future. For now, being able to make new Repair Crystals is key to continuing operation.

Main issue would be that such a structure would require fully dedicated priests and priestesses, and a lot of space. A holy atmosphere is needed to facilitate the creation of such crystals through another.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2020, 02:09:12 pm »

Damn, that cost roll!

Spoiler: Grigor Hoth (click to show/hide)

Thaddean Line Corvette Revision:
Seeing the ship performance is about up to par, Grigor's seen the need to try and make it more cost-efficient. Taking the chance to rename the ship a little to better reflect it's role now that all the other designs have been seen aswell.

Every redundant system is checked to see if it really helps the ship survive, getting rid of ones that don't. The whole interior is redesigned so everything is significantly easier to access and maintain. Taking the opportunity, the power grid is also overhauled to be more streamlined and, hopefully, be a bit more efficient. Finally, investigate and see after all has been moved around if this chassis can support the Ry'leh Drives, and if so, pursue.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5