Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Application of HFS Floor Bars [SPOILERS]  (Read 2841 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Application of HFS Floor Bars [SPOILERS]
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2020, 02:20:21 am »

That's a nice idea, but does the game even allow you to designate an artifact for melting, let alone permit it to be added to a Melt Item job?

Wiki didn’t say they couldn’t be. I cannot say I personally have tried. If they can’t be melted, let me know and I’ll add it to the wiki - then the question would be, can one modify raws so artifacts can be melted, and is that too much game-editing for OP as well?
I can't speak for the current version, but I know that artifacts definitely couldn't be designated for melting or dumping in versions prior to 0.34.01, and it seems unlikely that Toady would have removed that restriction.
"Artifact" books are still refusing to accept the dump designation (although it works if set with DFHack), and, infuriatingly, there is no vanilla way to get a stolen artifact back from the thief even when caught short of killing the bugger. My guess is that setting the melt flag on an artifact with DFHack may cause it to be processed, but that's a guess only, and there may well be something that blocks the processing somewhere along the way.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2020, 01:39:58 pm »

Jeez, I did not expect this much discussion. Lots of interesting ideas, much appreciated. Breaking the game is so entertaining.

That's a nice idea, but does the game even allow you to designate an artifact for melting, let alone permit it to be added to a Melt Item job?

Wiki didn’t say they couldn’t be. I cannot say I personally have tried. If they can’t be melted, let me know and I’ll add it to the wiki - then the question would be, can one modify raws so artifacts can be melted, and is that too much game-editing for OP as well?
Nah, raws don't have enough ability to do in-depth modding, they're just about making/changing creatures and items, along with how to get said items. It'd be a DFhack thing if anything, and I can't find anything that would let me do that, nor do I have the experience with DF code to do it myself. I could mayybe try to leech the code off of autodump or something, but it's a longshot to be able to try a longshot (and a fairly ineffective one at that, given the extremely limited rate of production even if it works), so I'm not sure if I care that much.

What color is a slade wpn?  Is molar mass of Slade>Gold? Having a hard time seeing it better than Rose Gold for bashing stuff in. Pink is just so nice to look at. I tinker with slade tonight. Slades prolly a great spiked ball material. So is lead. Lead balls. ha. not saying more.

Whips are nice, for headshots, finalblows, but have you ever faught with a very high molar mass shield+high wrestling? Stunlock?

Only got divine stuff, once in my fortress, on an elf instrument thru depot. Night or shadow cloth it was, so molar mass was not worth looking up. I keep on inspecting trade goods for it, but failing to find it.
Slade is incredibly OP, as noted. Didn't think about doing it with whips, but I'm not patient enough for that, and I can think of actual reasons for choosing hammers over whips.
1. Hammers pulp better, and this fort has been neck-deep in zombies since its inception.
2. I have no dwarves who prefer whips. I do have to wait for preferences for hammers anyway (I do try to avoid savescumming for most reasons, though there are a few things that I'll do it for. Rigging artifacts isn't one of them, I guess), so them being a foreign weapon isn't an issue. Not a huge problem, since both are just a matter of patience, but still.
3. I think I might be able to have the incredibly comedic value of sending my enemies flying by using the hammer, which by the way weighs as much as an anvil. Isn't that alone enough to use hammers?
4. Also, the lighter weight of the whip isn't useful. Slade weapons are all super heavy (barring whips, which are only pretty heavy), which would naturally slow dwarves down. Except skill negates this weight, just like armor user, where legendary lets the dwarf go about their business at normal speed. TIL.
Oh right, and slade things are dark gray, not black, same color as iron. Same difference, I guess, since black is unusable for foreground stuff for obvious reasons. Technically I think slade is some kind of black, but that's the actual color, not the displayed color.

Re: Getting more slade bars.

If this bug still exists, you can create new z levels comprised of the material a floor is built of (such as your slade bars). I'm not sure if the new slade tiles will be meltable or regular slade, however.
That... might work, yeah. Which almost makes me want to give up on this gambit, seeing as how bloody annoying it is. Also involves the minor detail of the conquest of hell, which is similarly annoying, though I do already have a device made that can do it in for the clown car. Should I go for that this go-round I'll definitely look into this, though, sounds like my best shot at getting more slade bars, and if nothing else it sounds like something interesting and potentially useful to add to my arsenal of gimmicks, glitches, and cheeses.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2020, 02:57:30 pm »

Maces are better at pulping than hammers. Maybe the density will also compensate for the ineffectiveness of maces on large inorganic creatures (bronze colossus, steel blob FB, etc.)

I wonder how a morning star would perform? Technically an edged weapon, but copper and silver morning stars were known to shred even armored opponents before the armor and force transfer changes. Adamantine might be better, though.

Someone should do some arena tests using DFHack to create a bunch of slade weapons and armor.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 03:01:09 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2020, 06:45:20 pm »

Maces are better at pulping than hammers. Maybe the density will also compensate for the ineffectiveness of maces on large inorganic creatures (bronze colossus, steel blob FB, etc.)

I wonder how a morning star would perform? Technically an edged weapon, but copper and silver morning stars were known to shred even armored opponents before the armor and force transfer changes. Adamantine might be better, though.

Someone should do some arena tests using DFHack to create a bunch of slade weapons and armor.
Yeah, I just don't like maces for some reason, and I figure the hammer is enough pulping power anyways. A slade morningstar would be a pretty darn good weapon, as evidenced by the last two DF gladiator tourneys they might be one of the best weapons flat out, armor or no. Adamantine would lose a lot of the punch behind it, so I think slade would be better for a morningstar.

And for armor, slade armor is probably the best. Due to its high density, it can actually stop blunt weapons with extreme effectiveness, unlike literally any other type of armor. Slade has pretty similar values to adamantine elsewhere, making is also quite effective against edged weaponry. Because of its immense weight you'll want to not give it to fresh recruits (or really anybody who doesn't have legendary armor user), but anybody who wears it becomes nigh invincible. Combine that, an untiring warrior (vampire or intdead), and a slade/candy weapon of your choice (perhaps slade morningstar?) and you'll get the ultimate warrior, who, regardless of skill, could probably destroy any size army alone just by virtue of being indestructible and inexhaustable.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2020, 11:11:18 pm »

What slade trap item does blunt damage and is the best? Corkscrew? Dont think spiked balls do blunt. I suppose a slade rock trap, would be the penultimate stone to have fall ontop of an unwelcome visitor. I dont think they normally will load metal rocks in traps, however. bummer.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2020, 11:13:31 pm »

Anything does blunt damage when successfully blocked by armor.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2020, 06:11:51 pm »

I did a small test.

Changeitem on all rocks already loaded into stonefall traps, into slade. The goblin invader came, one stepped on a trap, he got hit, bounced 3x, and left no corpse, unless the GCSs in my moat ate him after he stopped ricochetting. Found an XX(item)XX pile.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2020, 07:31:11 pm »

Unfortunately natural slade which is revealed can't be dug through the top, but if you did divise some way to get to disassembling the vault's structure for boulders, then most certainly you can make super-heavy swords out of the new 'd'etails function of the [CAN_STONE] weapon reaction which auto-uploads itself to the craftshop.

Elsewise you can load the bars into a minecart along with other rocks like dense rutile/bauxite/ore-bearing stone to significantly increase its mass for roller bashing madness, than rely solely on the cart.
Pages: 1 [2]