Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dark Fortress Crashes - Resolved!  (Read 2090 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dark Fortress Crashes - Resolved!
« on: June 19, 2020, 10:58:07 pm »

In my world there's a dark fortress with thousands of residents. When I get too close, the game CTDs. I had hoped to exterminate all the non-dwarf civs and usher in the Age of the Dwarf. But this site is goblin civ capitol.

Are there any sneaky ways to destroy this site or pare down its population so that I can wipe out this goblin civ?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 12:50:30 am by Leonidas »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Fortress Crashes
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 06:01:46 am »

Upload the save and report the bug on the bugtracker, that really should not be happening. But yeah, you should be able to use fort mode to raise an army to directly take on the fort.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 10:42:39 am »

Upload the save and report the bug on the bugtracker, that really should not be happening. But yeah, you should be able to use fort mode to raise an army to directly take on the fort.
I love fortress missions, but I don't think they'll help against this site:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can understand why adventure mode crashes. There's no way to fit that many creatures into a site, let alone manage them during gameplay with any reasonable FPS. If there's a bug, I guess it's in world generation. And now I've learned one more thing to check before accepting a world.

I'm mostly hoping that there's some way to manually edit a site's population of unnamed creatures. It's just a few numbers in one of the files, right? I bet that adventure mode would run fine if I could cut those big numbers down to 100 apiece.

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 05:42:07 pm »

The issue with Dark Fortresses is the way its set up, COULD be fixed by Toady, ect, by separating the 9 tiles within the fortress area itself... since when your directly in the dark fortress, that area, + 8 adjacent areas are loaded, which 100% of the time have open caverns with trolls, ect:

OOO
OTO
OOO

T being the loaded chunk with the fortress tower, and the O being the adjacent tiles where a potential open caverns can be at with hundreds of creatures will spawn (unless its a tavern cavern).

With this in mind, if they were to shift the layout to where these open caverns don't spawn within the radius of other caverns and the main fortress, the lag/crash issue wouldn't be so present.

But the closer you get to the fortress, more chunks are loaded, with the caverns and fortress,  combining the amount of NPC's that may suddenly and awkwardly start pathing out at some point, causing even more lag, eventually, a crash.

One work around to this is using DFHack's "exterminate" creature command, which, if you slowly load each chunk one after another and making sure you don't unload it, while exterminating each of the creatures (I usually keep goblin and demon alive), you will be able to deal with the area.  BUT do keep in mind, using Exterminate, then unloading a chunk, then re loading it causes more to spawn (seems to be a glitch with this command). So, exterminate, stay in the middle, kill the demon, and leave is what I usually do lol.
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 07:00:49 pm »

the closer you get to the fortress, more chunks are loaded, with the caverns and fortress,  combining the amount of NPC's that may suddenly and awkwardly start pathing out at some point, causing even more lag, eventually, a crash.

Actually, this one doesn't lag. It's just one step over the line, and CTD.

One work around to this is using DFHack's "exterminate" creature command, which, if you slowly load each chunk one after another and making sure you don't unload it, while exterminating each of the creatures (I usually keep goblin and demon alive), you will be able to deal with the area.  BUT do keep in mind, using Exterminate, then unloading a chunk, then re loading it causes more to spawn (seems to be a glitch with this command). So, exterminate, stay in the middle, kill the demon, and leave is what I usually do lol.
I'll try the exterminate. That sounds promising.

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 04:05:56 am »

Hmm, try going at a different angle, cuz there can be a chance that the direction your going in. into the middle, may load to many the moment u step over the loading line, or a very slim chance that something may be glitched/corrupted in that loading area. I would suggest try loading 1 of the corners first, before loading others, at least to see which loaded area causes the crash.
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 12:50:08 am »

Hmm, try going at a different angle, cuz there can be a chance that the direction your going in. into the middle, may load to many the moment u step over the loading line, or a very slim chance that something may be glitched/corrupted in that loading area. I would suggest try loading 1 of the corners first, before loading others, at least to see which loaded area causes the crash.

This worked! I found a safe angle into the site. I was able to slip into the tower and kill the demon with no CTD. Then I re-exported legends, and the thousands of trolls, ogres, and beak dogs were all gone.

Leaving the site, I tried approaching the SW corner that had caused the CTD. The game started to lag. So I reloaded and left via the center of the E side, with no lag.

The moral of this story: If you have one of these bugged sites with CTDs and thousands of enemies, keep trying. The excess critters may be piled up in a corner, and you can go around them.