Headshoots Lunar Facility
- 2 (66.7%)
Hellcannon Gardens
- 1 (33.3%)
Bay12’s Jurassic Park.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30

Author Topic: The Bay 12 Zoos:Let's Play Zoo Tycoon, Zoo Tycoon 2, and JPOG  (Read 60835 times)

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Bay 12 builds a zoo:Let's Play Zoo Tycoon
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2020, 07:58:24 pm »

Is it possible to name animals?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2020, 08:08:32 pm »

Sure, people do it all the time!
..oh, you mean in-game?  I dunno... :P

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2020, 08:14:35 pm »

+1 for naming it Boatmurdered Zoo

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2020, 08:35:07 pm »

Looks like the votes are 3.5 for Boatmurdered, 1 for Underground Utopia, and 1 for Genericville Zoo. We are now the Boatmurdered Zoo!

As for the votes for our next animal, looks like we have 3 votes for giraffes, 2 for sable antelopes, 2 votes for predators and 1 against, (one of the pro-votes being specifically for a mountain lion), and 2 for elephants. Giraffes and sable antelopes are easiest since we have a savanna enclosure already, so I'll start with that.

As for the restaurant, I think I'll let IronyOwl have the name this time. Not only did he ask first, there's also an actual nacho stand we can build. I'll put the suggestion for "Juainos's Nacho Shack" on that one. I wouldn't normally build a picnic area, but it should be fine. Sorry EuchreJack, but restaurants don't actually have workers. The internal management is only reflected in a monthly upkeep cost. If you like, I could name the next restaurant after you.

After the dorf-themed start, I'm thinking about what animals would go along with that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Perhaps more usefully, with our steep terrain we can consider a Highlands exhibit space? Mountain lions look to be a reasonably priced predator.

I can keep these suggestions in mind, but I'd estimate that all those animals together represent approximately $150,000 worth of enclosures. That's well outside our current price range, but the unicorn, Triceratops, and giant anteater should all be doable in the near future. We will need a scientist and upgraded fencing for the savanna enclosure, if we get a Triceratops. Giant anteaters aren't actually huge, they're just "giant" in comparison to regular anteaters. They're roughly six feet long on average.

We can do that, yes.

Finally, I wanted to let everyone know that we have a channel on the Bay12 forum games discord.

The Boatmurdered Zoo

Late January-June, Year One
Construction began quickly on the Boatmurdered Zoo. The project was severely underfunded, and the new zoo nearly went under as soon as it was founded. Thankfully, the community's generosity came through, and another $10,000 was raised to keep the zoo running. Life returned to the construction site as gazelles and zebras moved into the first enclosure and the faux-ziggurat of Banana Dan's Flin and Flan was raised to feed the first guests. Soon enough, a baby gazelle was born.

First off, I took care of the requested renamings. Banana Dan's Flin & Flan just brushes up against the character limit, but I was able to make it fit.

On the last day of January through the beginning of February, I set up a picnic area for King Zultan's soda machine and Juainos' Nacho Shack. I had to take a short break from construction at this point as the bills and our zookeeper's salary briefly put us into the red, but we quickly recovered. I put the picnic area a short walk away from the restaurant, just to give the vendors there a chance to survive Banana Dan's presence.

In the spirit of Boatmurdered, I added some decorations to our entrance.

As for actual elephants, there are three different species in the game. There's the African elephant, the Asian elephant, and the woolly mammoth. The Asian elephant is available now and the mammoth could be unlocked with a bit of funding to genetic research, but they'll require new enclosures. The African elephant would most likely fit in with the savanna exhibit, but isn't unlocked yet. I'll try to make sure we collect them all when we get the chance.

Otherwise, February passed without much incident. At the beginning of March, we got the first wave of unlocks. We'll be getting these every three months until the first year is over.

Surprisingly, we managed to gain a profit on payday. Nine of our zoo guests had been impressed enough to become benefactors at that point. Alongside the regular guest's donations, we earned $2,628 in total donation income that month.

March and the first half of April were spent dealing with our next new animal, the giraffes. The first one I put into the savanna/Giraffe embassy enclosure wasn't happy, finding various objections to the terrain. Thankfully, the zebras and gazelles were tolerant enough of the various changes the giraffe required that I was still able to keep everything in the same pen. We lost more than half our donation income for the month as the guests watched the unhappy giraffe while I worked things out, however.

Unfortunately, the sable antelopes didn't work out. Their environmental needs proved too different from the other animals in the enclosure and I ultimately had to sell them again when the cost of pleasing everything proved too high. At least the attempt to work out a compromise ultimately resulted in an upgraded enclosure for the other savanna animals.

Our zoo was apparently inspected just after they were removed and I cleaned up the evidence of their presence, as Boatmurdered Zoo won the Blue Ribbon for Quality Animal Care award just afterward.

The Quality Animal Care award comes with a $5,000 prize, which was just enough to add a small new exhibit. Since the savanna exhibit requires a very careful balance right now, I used IronyOwl and Mightymushroom's suggestions and added a mountain lion enclosure.

It's on the opposite side of the main path from the savanna animals, but shifted down a bit to encourage people to go over to the snack vendors. Finally, the gazelles had another baby and I've hired our first maintenance worker, Old Mate.

The gazelles' new baby.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 08:56:17 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2020, 08:44:47 pm »

Well, I was just looking to be a frycook or waiter, but I guess owning a restaurant would work.  No hurry, you probably won't need another one for a while.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2020, 08:51:25 pm »

Maybe try creating a new sable antelope exhibit? We'll definitely need a savanna enclosure for African elephants (unless we'd rather have Asian elephants or woolly mammoths instead), so maybe this will help boost ratings and cover costs in the meantime.

Aside from that, a saltwater crocodile exhibit is pretty close in spirit to the infamous killer carps!

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2020, 08:56:49 pm »

I never played Zoo Tycoon, I guessed since Sable Antelopes also lived in the Savannah’s, I assumed needs would be similar.
Maybe try creating a new sable antelope exhibit? We'll definitely need a savanna enclosure for African elephants (unless we'd rather have Asian elephants or woolly mammoths instead), so maybe this will help boost ratings and cover costs in the meantime.

Aside from that, a saltwater crocodile exhibit is pretty close in spirit to the infamous killer carps!
+1 to adding a Sable Antelope exhibit if we have enough money for it

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2020, 09:19:06 pm »

Thinking back, I bet the sable antelopes would fit in the original enclosure if we move the giraffes somewhere else. That was the main conflict. Then the giraffes and elephants might fit together. Would you all prefer that?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2020, 09:34:39 pm »

Thinking back, I bet the sable antelopes would fit in the original enclosure if we move the giraffes somewhere else. That was the main conflict. Then the giraffes and elephants might fit together. Would you all prefer that?
+1, this works too

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2020, 10:00:39 pm »

I believe DF elephants correspond to the African variety so we should head in that direction.
-----

Do the wooden/metal observation areas just unlocked mean elevated platforms? I'd like to give the visitors a higher perspective. (nice for the giraffes :) )
-----

I'd estimate that all those animals together represent approximately $150,000 worth of enclosures. That's well outside our current price range, but the unicorn, Triceratops, and giant anteater should all be doable in the near future. We will need a scientist and upgraded fencing for the savanna enclosure, if we get a Triceratops. Giant anteaters aren't actually huge, they're just "giant" in comparison to regular anteaters. They're roughly six feet long on average.
No big deal, more thinking aloud than anything. I don't expect all of those to make it (or necessarily any, beyond the elephants we're already moving toward). And I realize these "giant" animals are mostly so in name, but it does fit the theme.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2020, 10:49:31 pm »

Hey, they’re good suggestions. I hope we can get most of those later.

Observation areas are little canopies that we place next to exhibits that provide shade to guests. I suppose we could make elevated paths using the terraforming tools to make cliffs and put paths on those. We could also make a sunken giraffe exhibit.

If we want a killer carp stand-in, barracudas are an option.

Them and bluefin tuna.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 10:55:07 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2020, 04:35:34 am »

We could also make a sunken giraffe exhibit.
Wouldn't putting a pit in the pit break the universe or something?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2020, 06:44:03 am »

The last time I visited a zoo the weather was 90°F/32°C/10058°U. Shade is good.

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2020, 07:57:18 am »

We could get some elephant seals along with regular elephants.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2020, 11:50:12 am »

Let's stick to three types of habitats at most for now. I do think that it would make sense for us to make a new Savanah habitat and place the giraffes there so we can give the sable antelopes a place in the old habitat.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30