Headshoots Lunar Facility
- 2 (66.7%)
Hellcannon Gardens
- 1 (33.3%)
Bay12’s Jurassic Park.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 30

Author Topic: The Bay 12 Zoos:Let's Play Zoo Tycoon, Zoo Tycoon 2, and JPOG  (Read 60864 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay 12 Zoos:Let's Play Zoo Tycoon 2
« Reply #315 on: August 27, 2020, 05:34:40 am »

What do the endangered themed buildings look like, and do they mesh with out swamp theme?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 27, 2020, 08:27:05 am »

Curious that the other kinds of crocodiles don't seem to have the same persistent overpopulation. We must have a very fecund specimen.

Congrats on finishing the tour!

We could start building, but I'll wait until we've agreed on a plan before changing things.
For the sake of unity I could agree to a northeast corner plan.
Windows on the one side, overlooking the crocodile pens.
Looks like room for about three or four exhibits depending on size.*
Plus a full service food-souvenir court, easier to fit if it's multi-level.
Maybe reserve top floor space for an eventual sky tram terminal?

*Suggestion:
I've been kinda hoping to get a wolverine some day. How would everybody feel about moving the killer penguin over and making this a "cold weather" building here in Florida? We could fill the other spaces with some of the northern bears (grizzly, polar) or a snow leopard.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 27, 2020, 07:57:41 pm »

Dire bear

July-September, Year Five

What do the endangered themed buildings look like, and do they mesh with out swamp theme?

Sort of "tropical" with lots of leaves, mosaics, and a bit of integrated statuary. It's easier to show than to explain, so here's a temporary area I built to demonstrate the theme. If there's support, we could switch to this instead of the existing "jungle" theme.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Curious that the other kinds of crocodiles don't seem to have the same persistent overpopulation. We must have a very fecund specimen.

Congrats on finishing the tour!

I think I know the reason for that. Zoo Tycoon doesn't allow incest, but at some point I think we introduced more than the usual two starting animals to the group. Crocodiles live a long time, produce numerous offspring, and often take multiple mates. As a result, our early crocodiles all have a huge amount of children, and the extra DNA from the additional starting animals has allowed them to continue to find mates this whole time.

Also, while investigating them, I noticed that our original Cuban crocodile is still alive.

Meanwhile, the ZCA is back, challenging us to another animal exchange.

We agreed, and our whale shark was temporarily removed in return for a short-faced bear.

For now, we're keeping him in the empty exhibit where our wetland animals used to be. Later on, he should make a good addition to the snow building idea Mightymushroom suggested. The current location should help with earning the necessary donations, since guests on the swamp tour also observe the animals in the exhibits they drive past.

Later, we invested in some more decorations to the exhibit.

Unfortunately, we came in $161.20 short of the necessary donations.

Fortunately, we have Science!

With the genetic enhancements we added, the cub alone is already bigger than an African buffalo, and close to an adult mastodon. It should be fun to see just how big this bear can get.

Finishing the day, we've restored sandhill cranes to our collection.

Since Mightymushroom suggested a compromise plan with King Zultan, next time I think we'll start working on the arctic building.

Our manatees, swimming together and perfectly content.

Spoiler: Zoo map (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 28, 2020, 04:26:36 am »

If we're going for a arctic themed building lets have some penguins in it also we could put The Penguin's Iceberg Lounge it there as well.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 28, 2020, 08:23:41 am »

If we're going for a arctic themed building lets have some penguins in it also we could put The Penguin's Iceberg Lounge it there as well.
Naturally.

Also, @manatees: Awww! :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 08:25:56 am by mightymushroom »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 28, 2020, 08:49:52 pm »

Just a head's up, I think I'm going to need to stop updating on weekends. The LP will continue on weekdays, but I need to get at least 600+ tiles done before Dwarf Fortress is released on Steam so that my dinosaur mod will work with the graphical version.

Distractions
September-December, Year Five

We're saving up money to build the cold weather building. (We could probably use a better, maybe Penguin-themed name for it.) It should cost us a few tens of thousands of dollars to set up, given the size required to it to hold four exhibits, a food court, and a sky tram station when completed.

So far, we've just cleared the area for it.

While we wait, we've been issued a challenge to breed three endangered species in two months.

I had expected our Cuban crocodiles to make the first part easy, but surprisingly enough they seem to have abruptly stopped breeding. Cuban Crocodile 1 died of old age recently, and apparently he was the last of the breeding ones. All the others are cousins or siblings, preventing further breeding. We could add a new unrelated crocodile to restart the whole process, but we're barely handling the current number.

I realized our tropical rainforest and chupacabra exhibits are now empty. Looks like the dodos and bongos finally hit enough of a genetic limit that they couldn't breed anymore and died out. Do we want to refill the exhibits with the same species, or something else?

We were down to our last African buffalo, so we bought two more.

I don't know if I've seen this animation before. Our Deinosuchus carried a chunk of meat into the water.

Our short-faced bear has reached adult size. The final result is bigger than a mastodon and easily dwarfs the jeeps.

No longer in danger of dinosaur attack, our new generation of sandhill cranes had their first chick.

Unfortunately, we didn't make any real progress on the cold weather building today. All the money we saved went into various expensive necessities that came up, such as a new gharial to replace the apparently already dead alpha pair for the challenge, a peanut dispenser to entertain our bored mastodons, the new African buffaloes, and a small extension to the sea otter habitat after they bred and needed more room for their young.

A ringing endorsement for Kong dog toys.

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 29, 2020, 02:26:13 am »

None of these animals seem to live very long, I guess we should buy new ones to replace the ones that are dead.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 31, 2020, 08:24:24 pm »

Sky tram

December-February, Year Five and Six

We began repopulating our missing species by creating a pair of dodos.

A new pair of bongos followed shortly thereafter.

That fixes our rainforest habitat, but our chupacabra will be more difficult to replace. We'll probably want at least two so they can breed this time, and that'll be expensive. Our sea otters may need replacement soon as well.

We failed the endangered species breeding challenge, but we were soon given a better opportunity.

Since we already have an appropriate exhibit, this wasn't too difficult. We promptly cured the disease (for a $4,596 prize) and now we have an additional pair of woolly rhinos for our boreal exhibit.

Given the other zoo's promise to give us a matching grant for donations we earned while working on the issue, maybe we shouldn't have solved it quite so fast.

I know we're having trouble paying for all our upkeep and salary costs, but I went ahead and hired a new zookeeper specifically for the Cuban crocodile pen. If nothing else, I'd be a lot happier not hearing constant "too much poop" alerts.

On New Years, we received an award to commemorate our fifth full year.

Next, we were challenged to have two bear species in the zoo in order to qualify to host a conference for bear researchers in exchange for $2,000. Since we have the short-faced bear and an "undo" button, this should be easy. All we did was bring a polar bear into the zoo for less than a minute, thus technically having two species just long enough to win the $2,000.

Next, the Alternate Transport Alliance offered us $5,000 to construct a sky tram station, with the possibility of another $5,000 if we successfully transport 50 guests on it within two months. Since we were going to build one anyway, this is a pretty good deal. We'll use the money to start constructing the arctic building, and simply accelerate work on the sky tram section.

It cost about $20,000, but our arctic building is officially under construction. The sky tram takes guests on a tour that views every current exhibit in the zoo before returning. Since we don't have any animals in there yet, we've temporarily connected the building to our existing elevated path. The route can be seen on our map.

A rare sighting of almost all our American alligator congregation gathering on land.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 08:27:18 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 01, 2020, 09:12:32 am »

Hey Enemy post are there any animals you'd like to see in the zoo?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 01, 2020, 09:13:52 am »

I’d really like Velociraptor, I’ve been hoping someone would suggest them for a while.
My mods and forum games.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 01, 2020, 11:13:00 am »

Your the manager of this zoo I say its only fair that you get to put in a few animals of your choosing.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 01, 2020, 02:40:03 pm »

Thanks!

No turn today, real life intervened and I don't have enough time to write one.
My mods and forum games.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 02, 2020, 03:28:33 pm »

The Reality Spikes

February-April, Year Six

We'll try to work on the arctic building today. Getting the Velociraptor exhibit can wait, since we'll have free space once the cold-weather animals are moved into the building.

The sky tram is transporting its first guests.

The previous generation of Cuban crocodile hatchlings reached adulthood, resulting in the species beginning to rapidly breed again.

Our guests finished their first rides around the park and began to turn in reviews. We received an award for building a 5-star sky tram ride, and another award for having both a 5-star jeep tour and sky tram. We were rewarded with the ability to buy a new sky tower ride for $3,000.

Maybe it would be suited to the roof of the arctic building, once that's done?

There have been a few bump along the way as we slowly construct the arctic building. We failed the challenge to transport 50 guests in time (though the tram is now a reasonably popular attraction) and a pair of sharp glitch-spikes exploded out of the ground as the food court level was built. Touching the reality spikes with the terraforming tools just makes them bigger, so let's just see if they cause any real problems before trying to remove them.

Overall, we're just working on construction and dealing with the various zoo problems on the side at the moment. We're probably about $10,000 out from finishing the building itself. More will be needed to construct the exhibits inside, but we can deal with that later.

A young Chinese alligator ignores the massive construction being raised behind his swamp.

My mods and forum games.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 03, 2020, 03:27:14 am »

Those glitch spikes seem to be a part of every 3D game, we should probably put a fence around them so no guest can get near them.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 03, 2020, 12:21:37 pm »

I would seriously consider reverting to a backup; if you can't reset the terraforming data that causes reality spikes then the best, most hopeful scenario is "doesn't get worse."
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 30