Headshoots Lunar Facility
- 2 (66.7%)
Hellcannon Gardens
- 1 (33.3%)
Bay12’s Jurassic Park.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 30

Author Topic: The Bay 12 Zoos:Let's Play Zoo Tycoon, Zoo Tycoon 2, and JPOG  (Read 60750 times)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Bay 12 builds a zoo:Let's Play Zoo Tycoon
« Reply #195 on: July 17, 2020, 09:34:14 pm »

Awesome! Really nice touch with the guided tour for the final post, bravo. Though it looks like I've been slacking re: the rusty fences...   

Long live Headshoots!

Thanks!

Also, yeah, fences are a major problem on that map. All the decorative plexiglass along the edges distracts the maintenance workers.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 18, 2020, 02:26:25 am »

I think that's one of the reasons I never chose that map especially since I'd try to keep them to continue the aesthetic.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 18, 2020, 07:42:05 am »

A very nice zoo. Once you get done with your vacation I'll be looking forwards to the next one. ^_^
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 24, 2020, 03:25:16 pm »

Awesome! Really nice touch with the guided tour for the final post, bravo. Though it looks like I've been slacking re: the rusty fences...   

Long live Headshoots!

Thanks!

Also, yeah, fences are a major problem on that map. All the decorative plexiglass along the edges distracts the maintenance workers.

I don't see anything wrong with the fences.  Who doesn't love dinner and a show?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay 12 Zoos:Let's Play Zoo Tycoon 2
« Reply #199 on: July 27, 2020, 07:11:18 pm »

Alright, I've finished my break. Who's ready for Zoo Tycoon 2?

This time, our goal is to achieve a 5-star zoo rating. Like the Best Zoo award we earned last time, this requires a successful zoo, well cared for and diverse animals, and happy guests. We'll also be doing various side challenges the game gives us for the prizes, which include boosts to rating, money, and free animals. We can also boost our fame by releasing animals to the wild, to a point.

Gameplay in the sequel is largely similar to the original, but there have been a few important changes I should let you know about. Exhibits are far simpler and cheaper than they used to be, but the animals themselves are now the primary expense. Awards are much less important now, since challenges have replaced them. However, easily the biggest change is that we can now go into 1st person mode and take care of the zoo ourselves. This will save us a lot of money, although we will eventually need employees so I'm not constantly stuck raking poo instead of building.

Along with the normal animals of the vanilla game, Zoo Tycoon 2 has four expansions. The first two were Endangered Animals and African Adventure. As you probably guessed, these add more endangered and African wildlife to the game. Endangered Animals also adds structures that allow us to build elevated paths and vehicle tours with jeeps and sky trams. Those two were followed up by Marine Mania and Extinct Animals. Returning from the original game, these add Sea World and Jurassic Park-inspired content to the game. Marine Mania brings back the aquatic shows from the original game, while Extinct Animals adds the ability to build an Extinct Research Lab and clone animals ourselves for free. That'll be a major help once we can afford it, given the high cost of animals in this game. There were also a few bits of free DLC, adding Christmas themed content and a few new animals and items. Finally, I've added two mods. The first is Z-studio's popular Paranoia mod. This mod adds cryptids, mythical creatures, and a few outright fictional animals to the game. It also adds various objects that allow us to build museum-themed indoor exhibits. Despite having "official" biomes, anything from Paranoia is actually fine in any biome, aside from the ones that require water to live. The other is Crocodylia, a small pack of crocodilians.

Before we begin, we need to choose a map. Sadly, the Moon is no longer available. In exchange, we'll be playing on a large map this time.

Spoiler: Everglades swamp (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Alps (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Island (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Woods (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: City Zoo (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: South Pole (click to show/hide)

The OP's been updated for the new game.

(Unfortunately, I never did get around to making that Spongebob mod I mentioned before. I started it, but I got distracted reading Worm.)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 11:48:07 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 27, 2020, 07:46:30 pm »

How much open water is actually involved in the "pelagic" map? Could we do something crazy like build an island for each biome and have guests get around by elevated minecart aerial trams into protected viewing hubs while the animals roam with minimal containment?

Another initial idea is an Alpine zoo that we can fill with mostly tropical rainforest for a Xanadu / Lost Valley effect. Mountainhomes Mountain biomes are naturally attractive to dwarven zookeepers.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 27, 2020, 07:56:03 pm »

How much open water is actually involved in the "pelagic" map? Could we do something crazy like build an island for each biome and have guests get around by elevated minecart aerial trams into protected viewing hubs while the animals roam with minimal containment?

Another initial idea is an Alpine zoo that we can fill with mostly tropical rainforest for a Xanadu / Lost Valley effect. Mountainhomes Mountain biomes are naturally attractive to dwarven zookeepers.

We could do both of these ideas, once we have the money for it. Pelagic doesn't naturally have too much water, but we could easily add more. Changing the environment and adding water is pretty cheap in this game. I would add that sky trams would be a lot less efficient than just building elevated paths, but the stone paths might suit a "dwarven" aesthetic better anyway.

*Also, I decided to throw in the Crocodylia modpack at the last minute, simply out of personal preference.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 08:15:22 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 27, 2020, 08:15:53 pm »

Pelagic doesn't naturally have too much water,
In that case I am deeply offended by the misuse of the word 'pelagic'.
I think I'll vote Alpine instead.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 27, 2020, 08:19:26 pm »

To be fair, there is a visible ocean surrounding the outskirts of Pelagic's map, just not one we can access.
My mods and forum games.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 28, 2020, 02:34:39 am »

I say we go with the swamp so we can tell people to get out of our swam!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

lukerules117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 28, 2020, 06:08:40 pm »

Swamps, mountains, or an island all sound a bit inaccessible for our guests. I think for realism sake we should put our zoo in a high traffic area like Antarctica.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 28, 2020, 11:16:13 pm »

Looks like we have a winner. Our next zoo will be in a swamp. Glad we grabbed those extra crocodilians!

Welcome to the forum, Luke!

Opening Day

Zoo fame:0.5 stars.
Spoiler: Zoo Map (click to show/hide)

January 1st, Year One

The zoo is open.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We've got a large swamp to build in with some jumbled paths, many plants, and a bit of damp wooden furniture scattered about. Lots of flat land aside from the water, so we have plenty of space for building.

Our first challenge has been given by Animal Care Quarterly, requesting that we take a photo of an African buffalo being viewed by a guest. In exchange, they'll give us $1,500 dollars. This effectively means that they're offering to cover the costs of our first animal, as long as it's an African buffalo. Fittingly enough, those are swamp animals. I think it's a good offer, but I'll leave it up to you to decide what we do first.

By the way, what should our zoo's name be?

The parking lot and landscape outside our as-yet unnamed zoo.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 11:23:25 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 29, 2020, 03:42:51 am »

Those are some high quality cars right there.

I say we take the challenge and get the buffalo, and to continue the tradition of naming the zoo after famous dwarven fortresses I say we name this one HellCannon.

lukerules117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 29, 2020, 10:58:09 am »

+0.5 for HellCannon because I don't really remember that fort

Sure, lets give the people what they want to pay us to put in. After that lets put in a dwarf crocodile exhibit and whatever facilities are need to keep the guests from shitting up the place with their complaints, litter, and non-empty wallets.

>Welcome to the forum, Luke!

Thanks, though it's more like welcome back as I used to be fairly active 6-7 years ago, took a long hiatus and forgot my login info

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 29, 2020, 11:39:13 am »

I'm sorry to say these classic fort names are from before my time. I need to spend more afternoons browsing the Hall of Fame. (Except Boatmurdered. Of course I've read Boatmurdered.)

Could you please explain for our benefit what goes into the Paranoia Museum, and if it does anything for visitors? There's only like 2-3 screenshots in that link and I'm too lazy to browse the development discussions. If it turns out to be interesting we should reserve a special spot in the zoo to build up to it, like an old manor house surrounded by a zoological "garden."

Meanwhile, +1 to buffalo challenge and dwarf crocodiles. Mmm, tasty crocodile eggs.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 30