Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making a carbage/corpes pile outside the fortress?  (Read 1404 times)

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making a carbage/corpes pile outside the fortress?
« on: June 22, 2020, 05:30:23 am »

When made inside the fortres you must ventilate the carbage /corpse room(s), otherwise the dorfs are overwhelmed with the miasma stench and get bad feelings?

When located near a mountain you can dig carbage/corpse rooms , but the dorfs must be go outside the fortress to pile the carbage and corpesses

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making a carbage/corpes pile outside the fortress?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 07:08:51 am »

There are three options I use for underground garbage dumps:

1. Atom-smash it. Build a raising bridge, use a minecart quantum stockpile or a dump zone to pile the garbage up underneath the raised bridge, then lower the bridge. Anything (except very large creatures) underneath a bridge when it lowers gets utterly annihilated.

2. Drop it in magma. Anything capable of rotting and producing miasma gets burned away. Just be careful of magma mist if your dwarves are standing next to the magma.

3. Use a minecart to automatically transport it down a long tunnel and dump it at the end. Set the minecart to be pushed (not guided or rode), build a low-friction dumping track stop at the end of the tunnel, and make sure the track will bring the minecart back to the starting point without manual intervention. You might need to use impulse ramps to give it a boost. Miasma can only travel a certain distance, so you just need your tunnel to be longer than that. You can build a statue on the track to stop any dwarves from wandering down the tunnel while allowing your minecart to get through.

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 07:34:24 am »

Thanks
There is lot to figure out.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 04:33:10 pm by janamdo »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 08:08:03 am »

I actually use two different approaches:
- Refuse: a quantum minecart stockpile in my recessed courtyard. The fortress design includes channeling down a 15*15 area that's then decked over, and I use this area for pasture, surface crop farming, and the refuse stockpile, and hives. The trade depot is adjacent to this area as well, and this is where all entrance tunnels end up (with a further access down into the fortress itself).
- Corpses: A corpse stockpile connected to a minecart that dumps them into a hole as deep as I can make it before hitting the top cavern. At the bottom if the hole I have a drawbridge for smashing and a locked door allowing access to the area in case a corpse accidentally got dumped down when it should be buried (I typically remove the minecart route stockpile link when resident bodies are inbound and restore it once burial is taken care of). If the hole is deep enough miasma doesn't reach out of it, but typically I order the lever pulled when miasma shows up.

KevinM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 09:20:49 am »

I tend to surface build, so I create a tower with an atom smasher that also has my butcher and tannery in it.

The bottom level is an atom smasher, and has a door that I can lock or unlock (in case I accidentally have something in that I don't want atom smashed). 
The top level is my butcher and tannery, and a open square without a floor next to my dump.  I also use the other squares as a refuse pile for corpses (and vermin).   Separate rooms usually, unless I feel like making my dwarves build up discipline by seeing dead bodies.

The outdoors will keep the corpses from creating miasma, and if they can't be butchered, then I can dump them so they'll drop into the pit and I can then atom smash them.

If my fort ever survives long enough to dig deep without stress overflow, then I'd consider the magma disposal too and mine carts.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 11:42:26 am »

Miasma can't move diagonally, but dwarves can dump diagonally. So dig a moderate refuse pile on the edge of your fortress, then an identical room underneath. On the outside corner of the upper room, channel a single-tile garbage chute. Move to the lower room and remove the resulting ramp.  Now put a locked door on the lower level, to keep dwarves from trying to clean the bottom of the chute and getting killed by falling garbage. Now your dwarves can dump all the garbage they want from the upper level, and they'll never smell anything.
Code: [Select]
Z=1
Center of Fort              X
Refuse Stockpile:             ======
                              ======
                              ======
Dump Zone:                    =====#
Dig Here:                           _

Z=1
Other Stuff:                  ......
Door:                         .....+
Garbage Piles Up Here:              =

With this design, you can easily pick through your garbage and see if you want any of it back. Just be sure to lock the door afterwards. Falling garbage is a major hazard in my forts.

Once you have a big fort and you start worrying about item count dragging down your FPS, you can channel out the tile under the garbage pile and drop it into an atom smasher.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 02:56:46 pm »

2. Drop it in magma.
My choice. An atom smasher needs manual actions. Magma helps me to be lazy.

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 04:36:14 pm »

Code: [Select]
Z=1
Refuse Stockpile:             ======
                              ======
                              ======
Dump Zone:                    =====#
Dig Here:                           _

Z=1
Other Stuff:                  ......
Door:                         .....+
Garbage Piles Up Here:              =

Thanks
Seems to that you are the only one who understand this drawing ?

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 06:39:45 pm »

Seems to that you are the only one who understand this drawing ?
Here's a more detailed breakdown:
Make a refuse stockpile
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Channel in one corner, where you'll have walls around to contain the miasma.
Move down one level.
Get rid of the upward ramp.
Build a door, and lock it.
Go up a level. Designate a dump zone. Now dump all the refuse from the stockpile, and the stink will never bother anyone.

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 05:39:36 am »

Thanks
Awesome to see pics, but leaves still room for questions
I is for for removing miasma from a foodpile?: opening the door makes the miasma goes away

its a refuse pile..

« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 08:30:41 am by janamdo »

KevinM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 09:32:02 am »

Rotting / miasma will always happen if something rots indoors.   There is no such thing as ventilation in Dwarf Fortress.  Gas just goes away on it's own.

If you dump things before it starts to rot, it'll be put into that little diagonal room and tossed down the hole.  As Leonidas earlier mentioned, the miasma will still create but it'll be limited to the two squares and will not spread to the rest of the main room.
Once the rotting is finished, there is no more miasma.

Because the top level is a hole, there is no way for a dwarf to go in there to get into the miasma.  The lower level has a door that can let them in, but that door is only if you have something in there you want to reclaim.  (You'd want to wait for everything to finish rotting before letting dwarves go through the door).