Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quickly finding likes/dislikes  (Read 1167 times)

Lobster1071

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quickly finding likes/dislikes
« on: May 23, 2020, 10:20:52 pm »

I can't seem to find a good answer to this one, but does anyone know if there is a way to quickly find a dwarf's Preference?

I can read them under (u)>(v)-"Thoughts and Preferences", and/or look at the popup for each dwarf's name in Dwarf Therapist, but is there a way to give me which dwarf likes "bolts", for instance.

I sometimes forget which dwarf liked what, and just want to do a search on their Preferences.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Quickly finding likes/dislikes
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 10:49:33 pm »

Therapist has a search function. If I recall correctly, you would put in "bolts" and it will show the dwarfs that have bolts as a preference.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 10:50:03 pm »

PTW.

I bet there is a way to export something from DT as a .xml file. I'm just guessing there, since I would also like to know if there's an easier way to search and manage this stuff.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 11:14:29 pm »

Yeah, dwarf therapist has the "filter" input box. It only seems to like certain things when put in exactly, though.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 11:15:25 pm »

Therapist has excellent export features. It has been a while since I've used them, but with some fiddling you can make a custom view with whatever variables interest you, then export comma-delimited data to a standard spreadsheet. It's not simple, but it's powerful.

Lobster1071

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 11:18:59 pm »

omg, thanks guys.  Yeah, I thought that search field in Dwarf Therapist only filtered on names.  I didn't know it searched for Preferences as well.  I use that quite a bit to look for dwarves too. 

Yes, it is very picky.  If you do a search on "gem" it doesn't find those that haves "gems" as well.  However, that's ok.  It helps a ton as it is.  Thanks again!

KevinM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 05:22:13 pm »

You can also use the Preferences tab (added by going to Windows > Docks > preferences) where you can add a preferences tab to give you a consolidated count of preferences.  You can also search in there, then click the preference itself to set the filter.  In there, search for "materials" to see what materials the dwarves like (it won't show a material (gem, metal, etc) if there isn't a dwarf that likes or hates it) as well. 

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 08:41:55 pm »

Yeah, in 'Therapist, if you know exactly what you're looking for, Search is the way.

If you're just looking for, say, any interesting item or metal, etc., if you right-click in the header you can select "Dwarf Details", then the Preferences tab there. Then left-click on a name and you'll see all of them, organized by category - materials, items, foods, etc. etc.

Handy if, for example, you're scanning for dwarves with no "Item" preferences for the leader position.