Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves not equipping armour  (Read 4926 times)

Blackbeard_

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarves not equipping armour
« on: June 21, 2020, 07:43:59 pm »

Hello,

I've got a problem with my military dwarves not equipping armour. I know this question was asked a few times on the forums and I've seen some posts from 2012-15 while googling the issue but the responses didnt help me. I have the current DF version, unmodded.

My stockpiles are full of armour:

I've set all the dwarves to replace the clothing with armour:

I even put an armour stand in the stockpile and setup the rooms for all my squads (not sure if that helps):

I tried toggling replace clothing on and off, but still most of my dwarves are not wearing their full uniform despite the stockpiles being full. (Ignore the marksdwarf equipped with an axe :P)

All the squads are on the Active/Training schedule, tried switching it up too, but it didnt help. Tried switching patrial/exact matches on the gear - also nothing.

I've set up the equipment for some of the dwarves manually and it works, but equiping 60 fighters manually would be really tedious. Is there something i can do about that? Or do I have to set the armour manually? The items are not forbidden and I've waited over a year ingame and they still won't equip their gear. Also the fighters have all the labors turned off, only hauling is enabled and they're not really hauling anything anyway, just training.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 08:22:20 pm by Blackbeard_ »

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves not equipping armour
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 08:32:11 pm »

I don't have all the answers, just one thing: any time you change a uniform, you have to assign it again to the squad(s).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Blackbeard_

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 08:38:27 pm »

I didnt do any changes to the actual uniforms, all I did was select a uniform when creating a squad (leather/metal/archer), and then manually changed the weapons in the Equip menu for each dwarf, since i heard "individual choice" can be pretty random. After creating a new squad all the dwarves rush to the stockpile area but they kinda randomly equip stuff, like equipping the weapon, one boot, helmet, and no chestpiece as you can see on the last two screenshots.

Anyway that's good to know. Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 08:43:23 pm by Blackbeard_ »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 10:02:44 pm »

The best way to solve this (though also the most tedious) is to manually assign individual pieces of armor to dwarves. No "individual choice" at all; just explicitly "*steel breastplate*" and whatnot.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Blackbeard_

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 10:18:31 pm »

The best way to solve this (though also the most tedious) is to manually assign individual pieces of armor to dwarves. No "individual choice" at all; just explicitly "*steel breastplate*" and whatnot.

I was worried that might be the only option. I guess that's considered as a bug then? Is there any addon which helps with equipping dwarves or do i really have to scroll through the menus 500 times to equip all my dwarves?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 10:30:45 pm »

I was worried that might be the only option. I guess that's considered as a bug then? Is there any addon which helps with equipping dwarves or do i really have to scroll through the menus 500 times to equip all my dwarves?
I'd disband the squad and start again. This bug isn't something that happens all the time (never had it myself). Unless it's related to equipment corruption, in which case you'e probably screwed. Yeah, individually setting each weapon sounds horrible, glad I've never had to do that.

Always use individual choice weapons myself. Not at all random, they choose the best weapon in the fortress for their best weapon skill.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 01:43:54 am »

Would you be willing to put a copy of the fort on the dffd site?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Blackbeard_

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 07:45:40 am »

I'd disband the squad and start again.

Hmm, didnt try that. Gonna check it out.

[edit]
Just disbanded and reformed my axe squad. One guy equipped full armour (Erith Eshtanigam), but the others didnt.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 04:06:17 pm by Blackbeard_ »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 06:46:27 pm »

I do not think there is equipment corruption, just the normal conflict between boots and shoes, gauntlets and mittens... I did these steps:
- created a new uniform with no items, set to Wear Over Clothing
- assigned this uniform to all the military dwarfs
- they all dropped their stuff and put on their civilian stuff
- changed the existing metal armor uniform to Replace Clothing
- assigned this uniform to the Axe squad
- they immediately wore a full uniform with 8 items each (but, they are not wearing any clothing underneath, a common situation in DF)
- the same process worked for the Spear squad

- You should assign a new bookkeeper and set it to high settings (I did this to get info about existing armor).
- your military is set to train 12 months a year. On the 'm' 's' screen, you could give them a season of downtime, and set them to Inactive=CivClothes, so they will spend some time wearing clothing, socializing, crafting, or whatever.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Blackbeard_

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 07:03:42 pm »

Thanks very much for the help and advice! I'm gonna try it out tomorrow.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 07:53:50 pm »

Therapist has on numerous occasions fed me wrong equipment info. 

Like smarter people recomend here, I station them, pull up i in DF for ea soldier and peep their inventories for abnomalies, before sending them off to fight. This also has them drop any books, closer to home.

Another thing I noticed about EXACT is it is EXACT. Tossing out material METAL on uni, might just get them to wear bone or shell greaves.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ive returned to overclothing these days, I used to micromanage them. I add in a facemask, cloak and hood, to the default Metal uni and remove material on legwear.

Currently I pretend Fastdwarf 0 1, is a marching skill, squadmates showing up late, just should not happen after yrs of training and discipline.  In addition to that I keep my high traveling dwarfs busy, ie. Hunters, Weavers, Monster Slayers, by putting them all on Superdwarf.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 07:59:34 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Blackbeard_

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2020, 04:07:33 pm »

@anewaname

Yup, that worked for me. Thanks very much, and thanks to everyone for the input!