Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: That dwarf is swinging in that tree like tarzan  (Read 853 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
That dwarf is swinging in that tree like tarzan
« on: June 22, 2020, 07:36:01 pm »

I had this hairbrained idea to put nest boxes in the tree branches. Turns out, it really works. Problem is, how high for best skill(climbing) acquisition. ¿SCIENCE? is needed.

The dwarfs do not appear to use a ladder for egg hauling from tree branches, aweshucks. Does anyone know if time in the tree, raises climbing, even without a ladder use?

At the moment I've 5 z's of Activity Zones. All setup to pick, pit, train animals, and meeting(guildhall for skill of animal -something-, called "The Feral Cat").

Funny thing, the 6 1007yr old trees(3 featherwood and 3 cherry) are supporting 12 nests each.  Green glass nest boxes. Ive got eagles and kestrels breeding up there and a few  dorf pets claimed nests, too.

Hard to tell if the animals are under less stress or more by this ingenuity. Should I give them add-thought?

Ive collected 20something ravens, just by cheating. tame -set 7, to move the game along some. Ravens outsmart my hunters and lag the turnover of other possible animal visitors, I wanna say.

Ravens are all dead now, however.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That dwarf is swinging in that tree like tarzan
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 11:59:12 pm »

Climbing skill does not yet influence whether a dwarf will choose to climb. So training dwarves to climb is both difficult and mostly pointless.

When creatures get stuck in trees, I've had some luck building staircases up to them. Tree branches are essentially floors, and dwarves do well pathing over them to the-stairs. So you could try a nice Lothlorien-style setup with the constructions mingling with the trees.

There's a bug, though. If you try to build a U/D staircase vertically into twigs, the dwarf who accepts the job will get stuck right after he picks up the building material. So finding good places to build the stairs can be a bit fiddly.

DwarfComic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 06:15:18 am »

Pretty funny idea! Nice. If you can get them to climb up it should improve climbing! I just don’t know if they will to unload a nest box. Keep up the good Science.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 04:16:22 pm »

Climbing trees, rough-hewn natural stone, soil, or constructions made of raw material is easiest and is worth 5 exp when attempting to grab while flying.
So they would only gain skill if they tried to grab the tree while falling out of it.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 05:28:42 pm »

They do-do a lil flying, the dorfs, that is. After a clutch hatches in particular. In their efforts to gather and pen the newborn chicks. I suppose I should have cages, assigned to the The Feral Cat, somewhere to pen the peeps.

Ive just started, the 5 az's are immediately ontop of one another. 3 are currently used, lowest 3. If tree roots were on z-1, ground on z1(a max size picking, pen, ranger gh), z2 has nothing(ladder use), z3 has eagles, z4 kestrels, z5 swallows. z6 and z7 are painted off, but nothing in pits. Inside these 10wx20hx1z az's are 6 1007yr old trees. I know age because I cheated with dfHack and planted them.

The 5 az all have same guildhall(gh), animal handling, The Feral Cat. No guild present, but like in my hospital, with l set to gh(doctor), no guild is present there either, but it still does spawn the occasional lesson in suture and bone setting.

Well I am hoping for training to occur in animal handling up there, and in a completely seperate, bear+bunny az, used by gh(The Feral Cat).

Ive gotta find a branch for a table, chair and chest, so value gets a boost. Im thinking the highest. 5z would encourage meeting dwarfs to climb the highest.

Ive painted an 1x1 obsidian floor in a U shape around the perimeter with 6 U/D stairs all attached to of, as it passes. The 6 U/D stairs, ea proceed up to z9.

I had set the 5z az, to pond fill. To encourage climbing. Seems to work, but its a rather large tax lossing all those bucket carriers, in this 7yr fortress. So I disabled it, but that might train climbing far faster.

@Leon, do you know if climbing helps in raid success calculations, like ambush is reported to do?

« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 05:33:20 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 10:02:14 pm »

@Leon, do you know if climbing helps in raid success calculations, like ambush is reported to do?
I seriously doubt it. I've done spreadsheets to track the XP gain from missions. IIRC, missions can train ambusher, tactician, leader, organizer, weapon skill, and one or two other combat skills. That's all.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 03:17:44 pm »

thank you. Had to retire that fortress became unstable. Before I did, I was unable to see any climbing above +1z, ladder use, in picking fruit. When setup, and stairs were removed, nobody visited those upper activity zones except flying and roosting pets.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 03:24:25 pm by knutor »

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 05:35:18 pm »

I was unable to see any climbing above +1z, ladder use, in picking fruit. When setup, and stairs were removed, nobody visited those upper activity zones except flying and roosting pets.
I've seen dwarves and even pack animals get pretty high in the trees during combat, but not otherwise.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 08:37:52 pm »

The +6z zone, high up there, set to pit(fill pond) did generate a targeted mist and a small parade of traveling tarzandwarfs, but they just will not climb the tree to get up to it. My zones were rather large, 10x14. I did not try a strategically placed 1x1 zone, up in there, at a large trunk, hitherto which a treeclimber, would use, like an U/D stair. More testing is needed, with more trees, especially those fat trunked ones.