Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Visitor/patient/prisoner bedrooms?  (Read 1998 times)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Visitor/patient/prisoner bedrooms?
« on: June 23, 2020, 08:28:17 pm »

I understand that, with prisoners, chaining them and giving them a "bedroom" environment will keep them cheery while they serve their durance vile.

Does the same apply to long-term hospital bedcases? 

Does "stress" effect long-term visitors to the fortress? (at least, such that I should care?)

With each of these, do they want the standard "cabinet + chest" pair to go w/ their bed? Easier to dig/furnish the minimum 1-tile niche for guests if I can get away with it, but perfectly fine w/ expanding if that's the safer route.

I try to make standard bedrooms 4 (or 5) tiles big, to include the default "bed, cabinet & chest" trio, with the extra room for an item (or two) for preferences. Is that a plan for visitors and long-term patients as well? 

Any other "design" suggestions for hospital rooms/visitor rooms?

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visitor/patient/prisoner bedrooms?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 11:44:50 pm »

Prisoners like nice environments because they can get happy thoughts from seeing quality objects around them.

If someone is staying in the hospital for a long time, then something has gone wrong with the medical system. There is no convalescence in DF. The patient stays in bed and receives treatment after treatment until the treatments are done. For much of that time, the patient is usually unconscious.

I'm not certain about long-term visitors, but I doubt that they have stress or care about room quality.

Your dwarves want chests and cabinets so that they can store their possessions. Prisoners, visitors, and hospital patients don't have a chance to collect possessions to store.

On the other hand, the joy of DF is that you can play it any way you want. So if your vision of a nice fort includes lavish visitor rooms and hospital rooms, then decorate them to your heart's content. Ultimately, the question isn't whether the room makes the dwarf happy, but whether it makes you happy.

TeaAndRum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 04:33:49 am »

Visitors do sometimes get stressed. Once I had a haggard one apply for long-term residency, after lingering in the tavern for an year, witnessing many bar fights and miasma. I think room's total value matters?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 12:15:21 pm »

Cool, thx.

And no, just want to avoid as many simple stressers as I can.

I'm not certain about long-term visitors, but I doubt that they have stress or care about room quality.

Dwarf Therapist reports that they have values for Stress, and they change w/ time and activities - drinking, praying, good art - about 2 dozen of them. Doesn't mean those values work on visitors exactly the same way they work on Fortress Dwarves, but they have them.

Visitors do sometimes get stressed.... I think room's total value matters?

DT lists "admire art" - guessing that's a catch-all for seeing an exceptional Quern, etc etc., and rooms would fall under that - maybe? But if so, def $ value.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 04:42:48 pm »

I tend to make 3x3 jail cells.  They do include a bed, but I've never turned that into a bedroom.
My design allows them to sleep in a bed, drink booze and grab their own food while admiring a statue.
I engrave all floor tiles but don't know if that matters.
Code: [Select]
#####  #=wall
#SFT#  S=statue, F=prepared food stockpile(no barrels), T=table
#BVC#  B=bed, V=chain, C=chair
#bb.#  b=booze stockpile, .=floor
##d##  d=door

EDIT:  something can be said for not including a booze and/or food stockpile so that other dwarves can fill their 'help someone'  need.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 04:48:20 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 07:08:14 am »

Follow up question...

If someone is staying in the hospital for a long time, then something has gone wrong with the medical system. There is no convalescence in DF. The patient stays in bed and receives treatment
after treatment until the treatments are done...

What about Traction Benches? I've always built them, but never noticed them being used.  (Doesn't mean they haven't been, just that I've never noticed it if they have.)  Do they merely allow a doctor to set/cast a bad break and then send a dwarf on their merry way, or (as in real life) do they keep the dwarf "in traction" for the duration it takes for the rare compound break to mend?

If the latter, then a dwarf would, indeed, be there for a while. But maybe I've just never had a "compound fracture" (or the equiv) that a dwarf (or that fort, ahem) has survived.

...They do include a bed, but I've never turned that into a bedroom... I engrave all floor tiles but don't know if that matters.

If you don't make a bedroom, then it certainly can't help improve the "value" of the bedroom that doesn't exist. However, it could provide additional "admires art" thoughts, same any high-quality statue or animal trap.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 07:39:40 am »

Traction benches are indeed used to keep breaks in traction until they heal. A bug frequently or always causes doctors to continuously examine the patient, getting huge amounts of skill points.
Time in traction is long enough that the patients thirst to death if not given water (and the fortress grinds to a halt due to no buckets/water cancellation spam). If you don't have water and can't get it, removing the hospital zone and deconstructing the rack(s) releases the patient so he can crawl to the booze stockpile to get a drink (assuming at least one hand is able to grab a mug, or you have to forbid every mug in the fortress before releasing the bugger). Once the patients has satisfied his thirst the hospital can be re-enabled (and you can order the traction bench built immediately after having deconstructed it). This causes the patient to be returned to the hospital and the traction bench (and, unlike the reality, I don't think the release has any negative effect on the healing process). You may have to release the patient several times before the injuries heal, but they eventually do (infection is a different matter).

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 08:00:25 am »

If you don't make a bedroom, then it certainly can't help improve the "value" of the bedroom that doesn't exist.
Value will be low anyway, because of the diminishing value of overlapping rooms (in this case jail room + bedroom).But then again, a little is still more than zero, so designating the bed as a room could help a bit I guess.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 05:52:46 pm »

If you don't make a bedroom, then it certainly can't help improve the "value" of the bedroom that doesn't exist.
Value will be low anyway, because of the diminishing value of overlapping rooms (in this case jail room + bedroom).But then again, a little is still more than zero, so designating the bed as a room could help a bit I guess.
What about designating the table as a dining room?

I think you could boost room value by building display furniture and filling it with a bunch of crafts or glass trap components.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 07:42:41 pm »

I think you could boost room value by building display furniture and filling it with a bunch of crafts or glass trap components.
I don't think that works. Items on display will raise the wealth of a guild hall or temple. But room quality is only furniture, engravings, and wall material.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2020, 08:53:20 pm »

I include every chain and cage, into the temple to the torture god. And position the cages strategically, near the CotG rooms, and in low travel areas. 30 cages and 10 chains, At max, I had 8 in custody. Prolly good to link the cages to a lever, before givng it to justice. I noticed a bug, in CotG's behavior, he has not been releasing them when jail terms ended, but instead, replacing the cage, as if it was a cage trap.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 04:00:41 am »

The use of traction benches might be influenced by the availability of plaster powder, made from gypsum.
When given the choice, dwarf doctors seem to prefer gypsum. Severity of injury might be a factor too.

A dwarf gets good thoughts from eating/sleeping in a good room. Also from seeing things he likes. The latter occurs more often I guess. A pedestal with an item won't boost room value by much. The dwarf still may get a lot of good thoughts if he likes the item. A waterfall would work similar. Caged creatures for some.

Melting chains doesn't loose bars. So I often train a dwarf or two by crafting a bunch of masterwork chains.