Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to make non-civ creatures the leaders of civs?  (Read 1852 times)

ghengis_cat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

So there isn't a Shadowrun Mod and I wouldn't really know where to start in making one.

But there is one idea from Shadowrun that I want to see if it's possible to mod into df: dragon (or other insanely powerful, insanely intelligent monster) civ leaders.

Obviously, in the base game most civ leaders tend to be of the same race as the civ most of the time, and when it isn't that it's usually another intelligent humanoid race. The obvious exceptions to that would be demon leaders who trick their way to the top, or vampires who pass as normal civ members, assume a position of power, and murder 11,000 civ members in their sleep for their blood and pass strict edicts to get away with their crimes.

But is it possible to make it so dragons (or other insanely powerful, insanely intelligent nonhumanoid monsters) regularly assume power in dwarf fortress?

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to make non-civ creatures the leaders of civs?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 08:58:42 am »

If you have intelligent dragons, you only need to add them [POWER] token.

ghengis_cat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 10:28:13 am »

So all it takes to make monster leaders is two tags ? Sweet  8)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 09:31:30 am »

Only problem is that the [POWER] token doesn't overwrite the behavior of a megabeast (as in, "kill everything that isn't a megabeast") - so during worldgen they behave fine, but once they're spawned into the map they immediately go homicidal on everything. I haven't seen [POWER] really working with non-megabeast non-demon lord creatures.

ghengis_cat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 11:25:23 am »

I tested it out and it seemed to work ok at least in legends mode.

Would removing the tag and just leaving large predator solve it or would that just make new problems?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 11:56:08 am »

I don't think it'd solve anything - would have to add population+cluster sizes for the megabeasts to even appear in the wild without the megabeast token - and I'm not entirely sure if [POWER] works with anything except demon lords and megabeast.