Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CreepyCrawler Corpses  (Read 1945 times)

PolarBair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
CreepyCrawler Corpses
« on: June 24, 2020, 04:37:55 am »

I've gotten to a point where the one cat in my fortress is producing lots of creepy crawler corpses, rat corpses and hamster corpses and I have a population of around 40 dwarves all of whom have all of the hauling options turned on, wheelbarrows, refuse, corpses and everything else. I've got a quantum dump above ground but the dwarves don't pick up the corpses on there own. I have to go around and manually give every corpse the D flag which is becoming a full time job. So much so that it's hard to get anything else done.

I can't imagine all the seasoned veteran DF players are happily doing this so I have to assume there's a better way I just don't know about yet. So what is it? How do I get the dwarves to clean up the corpses on there own?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CreepyCrawler Corpses
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 07:26:12 am »

There's an option for how to deal with vermin corpses, and I believe it defaults to hauling those indoors and ignore them outdoors. It's a refuse sub setting, I think. However, it's quite possible your feeder stockpile for your QS (assuming you mean a minecart quantum stockpile) gets full, and the job to fill minecarts is a very low priority job even as hauling goes, so it won't be done until basically any other hauling is done.

If you mean you've marked a tile as a dump zone, there's no vanilla functionality to automatically mark items for dumping (there is a DFHack one for old clothing). In addition to that, I consider the dump zone to be far too valuable to waste on garbage dumping (I use it to selectively move things that are in the way, as well as for cage stripping, although the both suffer from being low priority hauling tasks of about the same level as vehicle filling).

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 01:35:42 pm »

The option's under standing [o]rders.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PolarBair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 10:29:57 am »

Ah yes, Thanks.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 01:44:25 am »

Dfhack (which comes with lazy newb pack and the like) has an option for stockpiles to auto dump things that are placed within them. Additionally, you can quantum stockpile things in the normal game by using minecart stops (https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quantum_stockpile#The_Minecart_Stop).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 12:14:34 pm »

Creepy Crawlers produce webs, I think.  Nope. They don't.

If the bookie, gets high, enough, like Martinuz.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 12:40:38 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 08:27:48 pm »

If it's any consolation, embarks vary quite a lot in terms of quantity of vermin. In my last fortress, I barely noticed them. This time I've got hamsters, rats, bats, olms, cave hoppers, cave swallows, and cap hoppers. As soon as I dump out the refuse stockpile, it's full again.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 01:24:48 am »

It should be possible to mod out vermin corpses.

I don't think they're actually used for anything, IIRC. Only live vermin.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 02:36:15 am »

Creepy crawlers are butcherable. I also can give you mod reaction that turns remains into meat, fish item or egg. 

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 06:20:23 pm »

Creepy crawlers are butcherable. I also can give you mod reaction that turns remains into meat, fish item or egg.

You're thinking of voracious cave crawlers.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 01:20:18 am »

You're thinking of voracious cave crawlers.
Well, creepy crawlers are the only butcherable vermin, but you have to slaughter them, so corpses are useless.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 03:00:39 am »

If the bookie, gets high, enough, like Martinuz.

Erm, wut?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 03:41:50 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Vermin

Leopard Gecko is not just neutral deserts. Found some in good forest. Does anything  special happen when an elf adopts a fairy?

Bookkeeper. When assigned, will give player an inventory of stuff. "remains" are the dead vermin found in and outside fort. Puting a Dump on them will haul um all away to rot.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 03:47:04 am by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2020, 01:00:54 am »

You should turn this on if you need things killed outdoors dragged to refuse stockpiles attached to a butcher's so they're butchered.  At least if they don't already do this.  It seems oddly site specific whether or not this happens automatically without intervention, maybe it just depends on how far away from a butcher's your kills tend to happen.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2020, 05:13:17 pm »

fox squirrel and fluffy wambler are the two largest vermin. Has anyone read about any ?SCIENCE¿ on any impressive size increases when fed bees. The eater flag is on lizard, rat, and roach. Might be an interesting read.